SEA TURTLE HATCHING EVENT -- VIDEO (loggerhead turtles)

Post photos, videos and comments about sea turtles, birds, other marine life and wildlife. Post your comments of unusual sightings here. Areas include Navarre Beach, National Seashore and Northwest Florida.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:06 am

This turtle hatching event was actually captured on video at Gulf Shores ... but it shows a real nest and hatching event as it occurs. The babies' digging and crawling up through the sand helps strengthen their flippers for the journey to the sea.

Original video:

Set to music:
]
Enjoy!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:31 am

Oh my gosh! I had no idea that that's what it was like. I couldn't believe all the little turtles crawling out of the nest. Wonder what the final tally was.

Thanks AG for posting this blessed event.

EBB
May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.
David
Power User
Power User

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:51 am

Most nest will contain 90 eggs or better. Bad thing is that the hatchlings are very vunerable and very few survive.

That's why it is so important that we make the beach as turtle friendly as possible. Each nest established and hatched is so very darn important to avoid their extinction.
David
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:35 am

David wrote:Most nest will contain 90 eggs or better. Bad thing is that the hatchlings are very vunerable and very few survive.

That's why it is so important that we make the beach as turtle friendly as possible. Each nest established and hatched is so very darn important to avoid their extinction.
AMEN TO THAT DAVID!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
wregle
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Thank you so much for posting this video. I only got to see the excavation period and could only imagine the "boiling". I thought they generally hatched at night. I was surprised to see the trench. Is this the normal procedure or only in the daytime because of the number of people on the beach? I have a new favorite thing to look for while in Navarre now! An experience I will never forget!
You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:37 am

Bumping this up in the interest of Sea Turtle preservation.

A.G.
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:57 pm

http://www.livescience.com/49468-turtle ... field.html

New Science on Sea turtle migration

Sea Turtles Use Earth's Magnetic Field to Find Home
by Laura Geggel, Staff Writer | January 15, 2015 12:00pm ET

Female sea turtles, known to swim thousands of miles before returning to their birthplace to lay eggs, find their way home by relying on unique magnetic signatures along the coast, a new study finds.

For more than 50 years, scientists have been mystified by how sea turtles do this, said the study's lead researcher, J. Roger Brothers, a graduate student of biology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

"Our results provide evidence that turtles imprint on the unique magnetic field of their natal beach as hatchlings, and then use this information to return as adults," Brothers said in a statement.

Previous studies have shown that sea turtles use Earth's magnetic field to help guide them at sea, but it was unclear whether magnetic features also help steer them toward the nesting sites chosen by their mothers, the researchers said.

To investigate, the scientists examined a database of records covering 19 years of loggerhead sea turtle (Caretta caretta) nesting along the eastern coast of Florida, the largest sea turtle rookery in North America. Earth's magnetic field, which acts as a giant invisible shield that protects the planet from dangerous solar radiation, changes over time. Earth's iron core is surrounded by a layer of molten metal, and as this molten metal sloshes around, it causes fluctuations in the magnetic field, with some areas strengthening and others weakening.

The researchers wondered whether turtles had changed their nesting locations as magnetic signatures drifted across the coast.

"We reasoned that if turtles use the magnetic field to find their natal beaches, then naturally occurring changes in the Earth's field might influence where turtles nest," Brothers said.

A look at the data, from 1993 to 2011, confirmed this idea. At certain times in some places, Earth's magnetic field shifted so that magnetic signals from nearby beaches moved closer together. During these times, turtle nests densely covered these areas, they found.

Similarly, there were fewer turtle nests, and the nests were farther apart, in places where magnetic signatures diverged, just as the researchers predicted.

"Our results provide the strongest evidence to date that sea turtles find their nesting areas at least in part by navigating to unique magnetic signatures along the coast," the researchers wrote in the study.

Scientists are unsure how turtles detect the geomagnetic field, but it's possible that tiny magnetic particles in their brains help the turtles process unique signatures, Brothers said.

Whatever the mechanism, it clearly helps sea turtles find their birthplace so they can reproduce, usually on accessible beaches that have soft sand, the right temperature and few predators.

"The only way a female turtle can be sure that she is nesting in a place favorable for egg development is to nest on the same beach where she hatched," Brothers said. "The logic of sea turtles seems to be that 'If it worked for me, it should work for my offspring.'"

The study was published today (Jan. 15) in the journal Current Biology.

Follow Laura Geggel on Twitter @LauraGeggel. Follow Live Science @livescience, Facebook & Google+. Original article on Live Science.
AngelGirl

Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:02 pm

WOW!
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:39 pm

"Creation shows the power of God --- There's glory all around, And those who see must stand in awe, For miracles abound."
AngelGirl

Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:26 pm

Praise the creator's name. His name is Jesus Christ. A name to praise for eternity. Is His creation great or what?
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue May 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Bumping this up to the top again!
;)
AngelGirl

Return to “Sea Turtles, Birds, Marine Life, Wildlife and Conservation”