Blue Angels....just so you know

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:04 am

Well, apparently this Covid thing is really just a big pain in the rear and getting worse. Aside from physiological effects of this China disease, it is just messing with everything. For those of you planning a trip to Navarre/Pensacola specifically be aware of a couple of things.

1. The Naval Museum is still closed and will remain closed for the foreseeable future

2. All bars (not that too many people frequent a plain ol bar with the exception of the younger groups but all bars are banned from selling alcohol. This DOES NOT apply to restaurants.

3. The Pensacola Mayor has mandated that all people must wear a mask while inside a business, like a Walmart. This DOES NOT apply to hotels, restaurants, rental units, etc.

4. The Blue Angels have cancelled all public practice sessions for July

5. The Pensacola Blue Angels Show the 8th-11th will not be a traditional maneuver type of show but will be a flyover ranging from Pensacola Beach to Orange Beach, AL.

6. I called Luthers Pontoon Boat Rentals this week to arrange for us to reserve a boat for our trip in July. Yeah, they do not have any. She said they have never experienced demand in their history that they are seeing today. All 20 foot boats are booked through the summer and past. They did have a 28 footer and some open time frames but that is too much boat. Also, she said they are standing firm this summer on having it back on the minute of the last hour. No more buying an extra hour of boating.

7. I do not know the status of the restaurants but when I was there in Pensacola last week, McGuire's was absolutely packed. Went there three nights in a row and each night was packed.

8. Just an fyi, against my better judgement I went to the East River Smokehouse for lunch on the day I arrived. Sadly, I probably will never go back. They used to be good when they were on 87. Service was horrible and there were only about 7 people in the whole restaurant and the food is now mediocre at best.
AU70TIGER

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:23 pm

My wife and I went to McGuire's in Pensacola last Tuesday. Few customers were using face coverings - we were. While the booths where were sat were not 6 feet apart, there were partitions between each booth so that we felt okay with that. The waitstaff were all masked. The service was certainly up to the standards I expected of the place from prior visits and the food was, as always, great - in fact, too much to leave room for the desert. We decided that next time we would share and leave room for the bread pudding.

Except for the thunderstorms rolling in while we were trying to relax on beach, it was a great trip. Looking forward to July.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:28 am

PensacolaKid wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:04 am
6. I called Luthers Pontoon Boat Rentals this week to arrange for us to reserve a boat for our trip in July. Yeah, they do not have any. She said they have never experienced demand in their history that they are seeing today. All 20 foot boats are booked through the summer and past. They did have a 28 footer and some open time frames but that is too much boat. Also, she said they are standing firm this summer on having it back on the minute of the last hour. No more buying an extra hour of boating.
Try Navarre Family Watersports (next to Dewey Destin's Navarre). https://nfwllc.com/

Our daughter and family were going to be here for Blue Angels weekend. A couple of weeks ago they had booked all their pontoons for Sat, July 11th, but I was able to reserve an all day on Friday, July 10th - with the thought of watching the BA from in the sound off Quietwater Beach.

Sadly, they had something come up and will not be here until Saturday evening, but on last Friday I was able to change to Tuesday, July 14th.
I checked a few dates in July - except for July 11 (Blue Angels Saturday) they seem to have a lot of availability. Their "full day" rentals are 9-hours (9AM-6PM). Don't know if can combine that with their "sunset cruses" (6PM-8PM)?

re: Blue Angels - they have been having their practices out of Choctaw OLF for the last month. So they have been making their turns from south to north passes, basically over my house (Hidden Creek Golf Course)! Pretty cool!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:35 am

Pete,

Thanks for the information. In lieu of the pontoon boat excursion this year, we are going to go over to Noriega Point and snorkel the rocks. We have never done that but have looked at many videos on Youtube and it looks like a blast.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”