Same Storm - Different Boats

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu May 21, 2020 10:20 am

An email buddy shared the following with me today. It really struck a chord as the phrase "we're all in this together" has begun to truly irritate me! Granted, this should probably be posted in a forum further down the page but it will probably get more readership here ... so I'm slightly "bending" the forum rules. Please forgive me.

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ..
I heard that we are all in the same boat, but it's not like that. We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat. Your ship could be shipwrecked and mine might not be. Or vice versa.

For some, quarantine is optimal. A moment of reflection, of re-connection, easy in flip flops, with a cocktail or coffee. For others, this is a desperate financial & family crisis.

For some that live alone they're facing endless loneliness. While for others it is peace, rest & time with their mother, father, sons & daughters.

With the $600 weekly increase in unemployment some are bringing in more money to their households than they were working. Others are working more hours for less money due to pay cuts or loss in sales.

Some families of 4 just received $3400 from the stimulus while other families of 4 saw $0.

Some were concerned about getting a certain candy for Easter while others were concerned if there would be enough bread, milk and eggs for the weekend.

Some want to go back to work because they don't qualify for unemployment and are running out of money. Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.

Some are home spending 2-3 hours/day helping their child with online schooling while others are spending 2-3 hours/day to educate their children on top of a 10-12 hour workday.

Some have experienced the near death of the virus, some have already lost someone from it and some are not sure if their loved ones are going to make it. Others don't believe this is a big deal.

Some have faith in God and expect miracles during this 2020. Others say the worst is yet to come.

So, friends, we are not in the same boat. We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.

Each of us will emerge, in our own way, from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing.

We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.

Realize that and be kind.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu May 21, 2020 11:53 am

And let us not forget we have two vastly polarized parties in the USA, each with vastly different desires through this. No, we are not in the same boat at all.
AU70TIGER

Thu May 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Interesting perspective.

There are some things that I think we can all agree on, to begin to come to reasonable discussion:

a. The Covid-19 pandemic has certainly had effects upon each of us.
b. For some, the effects have been physical, even to death.
c. For some, the effects have been financial.
d. For some, the effects have been mental/emotional.
e. For some, maybe many, the effects have been physical, financial and mental/emotional.
f. For all, there have been effects.

It is certainly easier for each of us to focus on what the effect(s) has (have) been on us. Since this is a worldwide pandemic, we also need to see what the effects have been on others outside of our country. I'm sure there are some who think we should be thinking only about our town/city, our state, our country, but the fact is, whether we like it or not, everyone in this world is ultimately tied together, both in this pandemic and generally economically. That is simply the current state of our planet. I won't go into a long discussion of it all, but it is similar to that old spiritual, "Them Dry Bones". I'm not sure whether the US is the hip bone, thigh bone, leg bone, etc. but I do know we are connected to other countries - certainly economically, i.e., we either export to them, import from them or both. So, while we certainly need to focus on getting the virus under control in US, we must also be concerned about how it affects other countries. To me, more importantly, we need to focus on how it affects our brothers and sisters (I think we are all God's children) worldwide.

It is hard for me to imagine those folks in Michigan and India, who are having to go through both the Corvid-19 stuff and then be also hit with either a dam overflowing or a hurricane. That has to be a devastating blow - physically, financially and emotionally. While we pray for us all, we need to double up for those folks.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri May 22, 2020 8:13 am

Can not argue with any of it AU70TIGER most certainly the last sentence and thought and while I certainly agree with everything you have stated, I firmly believe this country has a massive problem with half of it wanting to implode our country and the other wanting it to succeed and prosper. That is the issue I have and I again agree with the above in that no, we are not in this together and yes, these people in the grips of other calamities certainly need our prayers.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”