BUTTERFLY HOUSE TRAINING SET

Here is the forum you will find lots of information, photos and discussion about the Navarre Mainland, Navarre Town Center, Heart of Navarre and Santa Rosa County. Areas included are Gulf Breeze, Pace, Milton and other communities in Santa Rosa County.

AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu May 09, 2013 9:05 am

Upcoming Volunteer Training for Panhandle Butterfly House

Are you interested in educating and helping visitors gain a better understanding of butterflies, butterfly gardening, and the natural habitat in which butterflies thrive? Please join our Docent and Tour Guide Team at the Panhandle Butterfly House! A training class is scheduled for June 8 from 1:30 until 5 p.m. at the Navarre Visitor Center, located at 8543 Navarre Parkway in Navarre.

Docents and tour guides are the trained volunteers who educate visitors about Florida butterflies, butterfly gardening, and the natural habitat in which butterflies thrive. This is a great way for teenagers to get community service hours while learning about biology, botany and ecology!

As a docent you will help visitors gain a better understanding of butterflies, gardening, and the natural habitat in which butterflies thrive. You greet the public, provide casual interpretations, guide visitors in the outside vivarium with our live butterflies, and manage resources. Docents work Thursday, Friday or Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. while the PBH is open. Docents usually work twice a month (full shifts) or more frequently if the docent scheduler offers split shifts.
We team you to work with experienced volunteers, and continue to support your involvement by providing new, updated information wherever needed.

The key to being a successful docent is attending the required training course. After completing the course, you will have the tools and knowledge to extend awareness of these wonderful creatures to our neighbors and visitors. Class size is limited to ensure that we can provide individual attention and training, so advance registration for the training is required.

For more information about becoming a docent or to register for an upcoming training class, email docents@panhandlebutterflyhouse.org
For more information about becoming a tour guide or register for an upcoming training class email grouptours@panhandlebutterflyhouse.org
For more information about the Panhandle Butterfly House, please visit our website: http://www.panhandlebutterflyhouse.org/

Questions can be directed to Mary Derrick at (850) 623-3868 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays or via email at maryd@santarosa.fl.gov. Hearing impaired individuals may call Santa Rosa County Emergency Management Service at (850) 983-5373 (TDD).

All programs and related activities sponsored for, or assisted by, the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences are open to all persons with non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political opinions, or affiliations. For persons with disabilities requiring special accommodations, please contact the Santa Rosa County Extension Office at 850-623-3868 at least five (5) working days prior to the program so that proper consideration may be given to the request.

Joy Tsubooka
Public Information Officer | Santa Rosa County
4499 Pine Forest Road |Milton, FL 32583
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Thu May 09, 2013 10:10 am

We say that request online somewhere just as last year's season came to an end. It's like they always need people to help? When my wife saw that she was tempted to retire and volunteer for it. Her actual words were: "I WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE TO DO THAT!!!"

Knowing the many hours Sharon gives to charity already (and she is still working full time too), she will be looking for something positive to do for the community when we do finally give up on the world of work.

So we'll retire to Navarre and I'll end up seeing even less of her than I do now! Amazing!! 8)
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Wed May 22, 2013 12:45 am

I visited the Butterfly House for the first time on Saturday, 18 May 13. The volunteers there were AWESOME! I got to post some of the pics soon--they turned out great!

I had no idea the Navarre Butterfly House is the ONLY butterfly place in America that does not charge admission--only donations!

They have quite a collection of live butterflies, mimics and moths indigenous to the NW Florida area. The plant life and flowers are also very impressive!

This is a fun activity for all ages!

OPEN: THURSDAYS through SATURDAYS 10AM-3PM at the SW corner of HWY 98 and the Navarre Beach Causeway.
~Jeff (& Jenny) at JSJ Photography (Formerly) of Navarre

Jeff at JSJ Photography's Fine Art America Gallery
Be sure to "LIKE" JSJ Photography (Formerly) of Navarre on Facebook too!
© 2012-2014 JSJ Photography

Return to “Navarre Mainland and Santa Rosa County”