Battle of Franklin/Carnton Plantation

A place to exchange information about past wars and battles.
lss

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:43 am

My husband and I took a day trip to Franklin, TN yesterday to tour Carnton Plantation. Hope you enjoy the pictures. The story of the McGavock family, owners of the plantation, is one worth reading. I've noted the book in the posts.

South view or "front" of the home.

North view

The Confederate Cemetery, created in 1866, is the final resting place of 1,481 men killed during the Battle of Franklin. Two acres of land was given, by the McGavock family, in honor of the confederate soldiers who had died during the battle and in the McGavock home. When it came time to bury the soldiers initially, they were buried in Franklin. The Union soldiers were later buried at Stones River in Murfreesboro. The confederate soldiers...their burial ground in Franklin at risk of being devloped after the war...were moved to the McGavock plantation and reinterred in the two acre cemetary.

Gruesome tales from the tour included seeing the blood stained oak floors. It is said the blood from the upstairs bedroom used for the surgeries soaked into the oak floors and dripped to the first floor ceilings.
Amputated body parts were tossed from the window upstairs and were piled as high as the second floor balcony.

Mrs. McGavock kept records of the wounded and dead in a book which we saw today. The soliders were buried by states in the cemetary and all efforts were made to notify all families of their loved ones final resting place.

The book "Widow of the South" by Robert Hicks is a historical fiction piece about Mrs. McGavock, the field hospital and her work to move the soldiers to their final resting place.
lss

Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:02 am

Thanks, Billybob. We enjoyed the day...sad and also inspiring. My pics don't compare to many who post on NBL but I wanted to share this great historic landmark with everyone. Franklin is just of I-65 in TN, south of Nashville so if anyone is ever that way it's worth a stop.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:58 am

There are many antebellum structures in my hometown that had (may still have) the type of fencing seen around the cemetery in your shots. Plus, the architecture is very familiar as well ... somehow, quite timeless.

Thanks for the stroll down "history lane"! :-)

Blessings,
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB

Return to “Military History”