VIDEO -- Flamingo at the Gulf Islands National Seashore

Post photos, videos and comments about sea turtles, birds, other marine life and wildlife. Post your comments of unusual sightings here. Areas include Navarre Beach, National Seashore and Northwest Florida.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:30 pm

Flamingo at the Gulf Islands National Seashore

A flamingo has been spotted over the past two weeks in the Opal Beach area. Opal Beach is about three miles west of Navarre Beach and within the Gulf Islands National Seashore. Turtle Girl (Kirsten Dahlen) a marine biologist with the National Seashore has spotted the flamingo several times over the past two weeks. She has photographed some amazing photos of the flamingo.

I have made trips on my boat from Navarre Beach to Fort Pickens and I have not seen this flamingo to date. Navarrian and I are taking my boat again in the morning in hopes of photographing this beautiful flamingo.

If you have been fortunate enough to shoot photos of this flamingo please feel free to post it on this topic.

Pensacola Channel 3 TV – Interview
with Lucy Duncan and Kenny Wilder

]

Bob and Lucy Duncan are the Regional Editors for the national journal North American Birds, and are regular contributors to The Florida Field Naturalist, a publication of the Florida Ornithological Society; and Alabama Birdlife, a publication of the Alabama Ornithological Society. Both have served on the state Bird Records Committees of Alabama and Florida, and are authors of the book The Birds of Escambia, Santa Rosa, and Okaloosa Counties Florida. Bob is author of the book Bird Migration, Weather and Fallout. They have been birding over forty years, and maintain the ornithological records from northwest Florida.

Active members of the Francis M. Weston Audubon Society (FMWAS), Lucy edits the newsletter, The Skimmer, and Bob writes the column Field Notes. Together they lead some field trips for the Audubon Chapter which serves the westernmost counties of the Panhandle. The local Audubon website is http://www.fmwaudubon.org. Lucy has taught several birding classes for FMWAS. When these classes resume, there will be notice in The Skimmer. Membership information can be found on the FMWAS website listed above.

ImageLucy Duncan supervises the protection fenceline construction for the black skimmers on the Navarre Beach Causeway – MAY 05 2008
© Copyright 2008 – Photo by Kenny Wilder
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Turtle_Girl

Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:51 pm

It's good to see the flamingo getting a little coverage...

When I first sighted and photographed the bird on Sept 17th, I just casually mentioned it in an email to Lucy Duncan. I had no idea how much interest it would generate, or that I would have the first sighting of a wild flamingo here on record.

For those of you watching, the bird is still hanging around. I'm doing a bird survey all along the north shore of the Santa Rosa area (GUIS Navarre gate to PB gate) tomorrow, so I should have more info then.

Thanks, Kenny, for posting the clip!
Turtle Girl
Kirsten Dahlen
Marine Biologist
Gulf Islands National Seashore

Turle Girl Blog
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:15 pm

Turtle Girl, we'll look forward to your report! Thanks for posting here!

Very interesting video and story, Kenny!

:-)
A.G.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:23 am

Bumping this up for our New Members to see!

8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Bumping this up AGAIN!
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 am

Bumping this subject up for historical purposes!
AngelGirl

EconProf
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:49 pm

AngelGirl wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 am
Bumping this subject up for historical purposes!
Could this be our lone Flamingo of 2008/

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/06/ ... =obnetwork
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:55 pm

Golly! Wouldn't that be something! Although the one that landed here was quite a bit pinker than this one. I realize that can change w/diet, though and it would have a new set of feathers by now, anyway! LOL

Interesting article!
AngelGirl

Return to “Sea Turtles, Birds, Marine Life, Wildlife and Conservation”