Beach Monkey Review

This forum is where you discuss restaurants, bars, grocery stores, fish markets, gift shops, beach wear and other retail stores in the Navarre Beach and Navarre Mainland.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:43 am

Unless someone in my family croaks and leaves me some serious cash or I win once of those Mega Millions jackpots, it is going to be after my daughter is out of college. You are correct though.....an incredible locale and so much potential.
BeachTeach

Sun May 13, 2012 10:27 am

The failing of this establishment is mindboggling, especially if you thnk back to the how much local support it had just a few short years ago. Once the managment / owner ran out the locals, they lost there solid customer base and it was just a matter of time. A fresh coat of paint in the form of a monkey wasn't going to save them.

I for one, feel that any decent quality food and service establishment will thrive in this location.
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Sun May 13, 2012 11:33 am

The Beach Monkey also drove away the military clientel....not just locals. We will not put up with wait staff telling us 9/11 was an "inside job"...not in this town or anywhere else! :x

~Jeff
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun May 13, 2012 2:42 pm

jennjeff1 wrote:The Beach Monkey also drove away the military clientel....not just locals. We will not put up with wait staff telling us 9/11 was an "inside job"...not in this town or anywhere else! :x

~Jeff
Those conspiracy theorists drive me bonkers, too. I usually say (in a very friendly way, of course) :wink: that maybe they'd be happier living in a twc like Pakistan and I'd be happy to send them to my travel agent!!

:lol:
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
BeachTeach

Sun May 13, 2012 8:27 pm

jennjeff1 wrote:The Beach Monkey also drove away the military clientel....not just locals. We will not put up with wait staff telling us 9/11 was an "inside job"...not in this town or anywhere else! :x

~Jeff
AMEN.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I can remember a cold winter Thursday night (back when local musician Steve Hall was playing every Thursday evening in the bar at Cocodries) when the lights and power went out in the bar. The locals STAYED, purchased food, drank and listened to the entertainment because that was what it was all about. I don't want to say anything negative about the management / ownership, but blame needs to go where it deserved for the demise of this establishment.

It was mentioned to me that the "owner" is seeking to open a new establishement on the mainland side of the island. Provided it is known of who is leading the band, finding an ear will be difficult.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon May 14, 2012 9:19 am

BeachTeach,

Your statement above about, slapping a new coat of blue paint on and calling it something else was precisely what my initial thought was when they reopened after Cocodries. Apparently they did not address the main concerns, problems and issues that plagued Cocodries and thought a new name and paint would do the job? It did not do it for me!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon May 14, 2012 9:23 am

JennJeff,

You seriously had waitstaff telling you that 911 was a conspiracy? That to me goes along with entertainers that use their stage to profess their, 99.999% of the time, liberal viewpoints. Just shutup already and do what I paid to have you do....wait on me, or entertain me. I don't want to hear your idiotic viewpoints. My newest one, although he has been on my sh*t list for a little while is.....George Clooney. The guy is getting more radical by the day and I shall NEVER pay to see a movie with him in it again.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon May 14, 2012 10:01 am

Well, I was going to remark about "Looney" Clooney but it would be off-topic, so I'll save it for another thread!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
BeachTeach

Mon May 14, 2012 2:34 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:BeachTeach,

Your statement above about, slapping a new coat of blue paint on and calling it something else was precisely what my initial thought was when they reopened after Cocodries. Apparently they did not address the main concerns, problems and issues that plagued Cocodries and thought a new name and paint would do the job? It did not do it for me!

Again, I hate to beat a dead horse. However, I (and my significant other) were long time supporters of this establishment. We had dinner at the very minimum of 3 evenings per week, and spent time at the bar area more than that. This was repeated for a number of YEARS. We enjoyed the food, the atmosphere amongst friends, and the overall experience. We tipped the bar staff well, and not ONCE came close to walking out on a tab. If for some reason that were to happen, the owner / management would certainly know where to find us (home address) or understand that we would be back in the matter of days. Admitting that this never happend, we were required to start paying for drinks as we went along (of fear of running on the bar tab) and a credit card required for ordering dinner. After years of LOYALITY, this is how we are treated?? It was explained that some locals had done such. In my opinion, take it up with them, not the loyal paying customers. Just the beginning the end.

Another was a summer evening where a local sponsored a get together. With hundreds of people on the back deck on a beautiful summer saturday night, last call was issued at 9:00 PM over fear of "running out of booze" for the following day.

My rant is done.

Final message, if Chad decides to open a facility on the mainland - the days of Cocodries are not forgotten. The locals will NOT support it which has it doomed for failure from day one.

I hate to be so negative, but the truth is the truth. Facilities such as the Smoke House are moving forward because they take of those that take care of them. Same can be said with Stinky's, Juana's and Helen Backs.

TD.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon May 14, 2012 2:44 pm

I just learned today that the Smoke House is moving south to the vacant souvenir shop located right on the Sound and pretty close to the 98/87 intersection. That is wonderful! I liked their food...good BBQ and they had Poker Nights. I wish them well and prosperity.

If Chad (owner/manger) or whomever worked Cocodries/Beach Monkey opens up something on the mainland, I hope they learned valuable lessons in what to do and what not to do and I wish them success also, especially in this economy. As I have stated previously, I loved the place as it's first concept many many moons ago....Liolio's and it would be hard to beat that place. They knew how to run that location and a restaurant. Times have changed and things are different and I don't think the days of Liolio's will ever return. The industry is different, the seafood is different, the economy is certainly different and the island is different. The best and worst advertising there is,....word of mouth. Every restauranteur should know that and live by it.
BeachTeach

Mon May 14, 2012 6:46 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:I just learned today that the Smoke House is moving south to the vacant souvenir shop located right on the Sound and pretty close to the 98/87 intersection. That is wonderful! I liked their food...good BBQ and they had Poker Nights. I wish them well and prosperity.

If Chad (owner/manger) or whomever worked Cocodries/Beach Monkey opens up something on the mainland, I hope they learned valuable lessons in what to do and what not to do and I wish them success also, especially in this economy. As I have stated previously, I loved the place as it's first concept many many moons ago....Liolio's and it would be hard to beat that place. They knew how to run that location and a restaurant. Times have changed and things are different and I don't think the days of Liolio's will ever return. The industry is different, the seafood is different, the economy is certainly different and the island is different. The best and worst advertising there is,....word of mouth. Every restauranteur should know that and live by it.
The Smoke House will do well there, provided they keep it with the "Smoke House" decor and feel. They attempted a "white table cloth" location in Fort Walton that just didn't fit with the theme. All in all, knowing the owner (James) and his dedication to his customers, they will do well. Rumor is that they also may be adding some boat docks outside which will draw a huge summer midday crowd (as a boat owner, this has been needed for years).
We love the SmokeHouse (once a week patrons) and wish them the best of luck.
BeachTeach

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Reading back on this...........it all makes sense now..............no?
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm

We liked Rocco's Italian Bistro which replaced Beach Monkey in the Cocodries spot on the beachfront. It was a bit echo-y and loud, but the friendly staff, food, drinks and view were great!

~Jeff
BeachTeach

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:29 am

Rocco's went through their initial trials and failures, but has seemed to make a nice little niche' for themselves. My husband and I have enjoyed ourselves numerous times in the last few weeks there. We have been traveling to Fort Walton Beach for good Italian, but discovering that we can stay closer to home for such.

Not sure if anybody has tried the new restaurant at Hidden Creek, but we had "what they wish to call a meal" (I call microwaved leftovers, served cold) last week. The service was horribly slow, and the staff seemed "attitude -ish". I heard (second hand information) that the former service manager at this establishment is now the service manager at Rocco's!! Makes sense!!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:39 am

BeachTeach wrote:Not sure if anybody has tried the new restaurant at Hidden Creek, but we had "what they wish to call a meal" (I call microwaved leftovers, served cold) last week. The service was horribly slow, and the staff seemed "attitude -ish".
That is too bad. We ate there a couple of weeks ago for the Thursday prime rib night and it was very good - both food and service. Bad night?
While the golf club restaurant has had ups and downs since the post-hurricane reopening - we had been mostly satisfied, and more so recently - however, been a little more uneven than usual since the water company bought it - and the personal changes they have made. Not sure what kind of golf course/restaurant management expertise is on the water system BOD?
(sorry, this probably should be its own thread?)
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “Navarre Beach Area & Navarre Mainland Restaurants, Sports Bars & Retail Stores”