Broussard’s Bayou Grill taking over Rocco's!!!

This forum is where you discuss restaurants, bars, grocery stores, fish markets, gift shops, beach wear and other retail stores in the Navarre Beach and Navarre Mainland.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Headlines from Navarre Press:

"Southern Louisiana cuisine restaurant Broussard’s Bayou Grill and Cajun Specialty Meats has announced they will be moving into the long vacant restaurant property on Navarre Beach."

We now know that TC's will not be in the Rocco's location. Last time we were past there just two weeks ago, there was a truck and a trailer with a couple of people working there so there must have been something really bad and expensive wrong with the property for TC's to not want to move in or the numbers just didn't work out right. When we were on the beach, I did think that they were working on the A/C or kitchen area, but that's only from the outside. Then after July 4th, they were gone!

If you don't know them from Pensacola, this is the web site: http://www.broussardsbayougrill.com
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:22 am

From http://www.navarrenewspaper.com/

Broussard’s Bayou Grill & Cajun Market is coming to Navarre
Jul 21, 2017

It is with great pride and excitement that brothers Carl and Cory Broussard, owners of Broussard’s Bayou Grill and Cajun Specialty Meats announce their intentions to bring their casual dining concept to Navarre Beach. The new location of Broussard’s Bayou Grill & Cajun Market will be at 8649 Gulf Blvd. on Navarre Beach.
Carl Broussard – “We are super excited about this incredible opportunity. We have been bringing the taste of South Louisiana to the Gulf Coast for over 21 years, and look forward to delivering the same great experience to the people of Navarre and the surrounding areas.
This unique location is an excellent opportunity for us to bring a taste of the bayou to one the most beautiful beaches in the world. We would really like to thank the Martin family for their full support in this venture.”
The Broussard family has been supplying the Florida panhandle with their authentic bayou inspired cuisine since the mid-1990’s. Born and raised in South Louisiana, the Broussard brothers learned the art of Cajun cooking from their grandfather, who was a well-respected, self-taught Cajun cook in bayou country. In 1996, on the foundation of the family’s third generation recipes and techniques, the brothers opened Cajun Specialty Meats, a gourmet market featuring fully prepared Cajun-styled entrees.
Building on the success of the Pensacola concept, the Navarre Beach location of Broussard’s Bayou Grill will feature all the favorites from the bayou along with several beach inspired dishes. The Market will have their Cajun Specialty Meats line of specialty meats and Heat-N-Eat entrees, along with some fresh seafood items. The new location should open in a few weeks.
Martin Family Representative – “The Martin family regrets that finding a tenant who was the best fit for this location has taken an extended period of time, however we are excited to introduce this new business to Navarre Beach. We believe this group can establish a food service icon to Navarre for both summer tourist and local citizens alike. We are happy the Broussard’s have chosen this location to expand their business and expect the food quality and service to be second to no one.”
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:51 am

Pete wrote:Martin Family Representative – “The Martin family regrets that finding a tenant who was the best fit for this location has taken an extended period of time..."
My feelings and some may not like them:

Perhaps the Martin family should lower the rent for it or allow payments to be structured so whoever is in there can afford to live during the off season? This would be better for all instead of them regretting the ongoing list of failures.

My view is that it's wrong for this to be an upmarket location. That space needs to be mid to down market and appeal to families on vacation. What that location needs is something that offers $5 burgers and $6 Giros along with sodas and other junk food. All to take away and/or eat there. No single item should be over about $8, and certainly not over $12 (or even $15), like Rocco's was. They need to allow for it to get almost zero business out of vacation season and not go bankrupt. As much as I'd like to see a great quality restaurant in Navarre, the beach really isn't the place for it.

The cynic in me says we should look forward five more years and accept that the future for Navarre Beach is no longer as "Florida's best kept secret", but is "West Destin". This is clear from the actions of SRC (The beach is THE county cash cow after all), the unwillingness of voters to incorporate (I won't pay more taxes to allow me to have a say in how things are going to be), the ongoing proposal to develop "Port Navarre" to make Navarre "Portofino East" (Lets add thousands more tourists to line up to get onto and off the Island at weekends and then join the line at McDonald's or Taco Bell on the mainland).

Nothing like putting my heart on my sleeve, is there? :D

I love you all, and love Navarre Beach as she has been over the years no matter how screwed up I think some things are in the area.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:28 pm

bjrichus wrote:
Pete wrote:...location needs is something that offers $5 burgers and $6 Giros along with sodas and other junk food. All to take away and/or eat there. No single item should be over about $8, and certainly not over $12 (or even $15), like Rocco's was. They need to allow for it to get almost zero business out of vacation season and not go bankrupt. As much as I'd like to see a great quality restaurant in Navarre, the beach really isn't the place for it.
So a MickyD's or such chain fast food on the beach? (Though a TacoCabana might be a cool idea).
I just don't see anything that is not a high volume chain fast food that will get prices down to $5 for a burger? Even TC's "low overhead" burgers are $10.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Pete wrote:
bjrichus wrote:
Pete wrote:...location needs is something that offers $5 burgers and $6 Giros along with sodas and other junk food. All to take away and/or eat there. No single item should be over about $8, and certainly not over $12 (or even $15), like Rocco's was. They need to allow for it to get almost zero business out of vacation season and not go bankrupt. As much as I'd like to see a great quality restaurant in Navarre, the beach really isn't the place for it.
So a MickyD's or such chain fast food on the beach? (Though a TacoCabana might be a cool idea).
I just don't see anything that is not a high volume chain fast food that will get prices down to $5 for a burger? Even TC's "low overhead" burgers are $10.
Food trucks... popular everywhere else. Navarre will be transformed into an expensive version of Destin in just a few years.... traffic is already a bear getting off the island at weekends.

The prospect of that kind of thing reworks my retirentirment plans too. Going somewhere else is rapidly becoming a more attractive option. Even my two lady friends who already live on the beach full time in condos and a town house are considering leaving before it all goes downhill too much.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:26 am

bjrichus wrote:Food trucks... popular everywhere else. Navarre will be transformed into an expensive version of Destin in just a few years.... traffic is already a bear getting off the island at weekends.
True - but thought we were talking about something for the Palm/Cocodrie's/Beach Monkey/Rocco's building?
Re: food trucks, I still like to go in and sit down for table service - maybe I'm just too old and lazy?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:21 am

Pete wrote:
bjrichus wrote:Food trucks... popular everywhere else. Navarre will be transformed into an expensive version of Destin in just a few years.... traffic is already a bear getting off the island at weekends.
True - but thought we were talking about something for the Palm/Cocodrie's/Beach Monkey/Rocco's building?
Re: food trucks, I still like to go in and sit down for table service - maybe I'm just too old and lazy?
The hundreds of thousands of summer visitors are a wide mix of up and down market. From the growing quantity of trash on the beaches every year, I'd say many are either illiterate and can't read the signs and notices left in most of the rental units or are too "effing sh!tty" or just plain lazy (I have tried to disguise my language) as human beings so they just don't care. If you like, call them the "typical Destin types" if you like, I don't know.

Whatever, I think 99% are not interested in the locality or preserving the environment so that things like the sea birds and turtles survive and that they really don't care if their own children get stuck by used drug syringes when they step on the sand. There were pictures of rug paraphernalia left on the beach posted on Facebook at the end of last month.

Look at the line of traffic to get off the island too. This weekend it was back from the causeway to the Hotel before 3pm. So much for it being a "quiet" or "restful" place now. The corner site does not exist in isolation from everything going on there. More tourists = more traffic. More traffic = more delay and pollution. More pollution = more risk for the local wildlife and so on....

The people of Navarre voted AGAINST incorporation recently so South Santa Rosa County will get sucked dry by Milton until not only is the quantity of people so high but the reason for them being there (it's secret, quiet, restful etc) will have become so compromised that you cannot use those words to describe the place anymore. My view is that it's only a couple of years away from that sad state of affairs now and that one more development on the Island itself (not even something on the scale of the proposed Port Navarre, just something with a few dozen more condos or houses) will push the place over the top of that hill.

Whatever opens on that corner site needs to appeal to the most frequent visitor or it'll go the way of all the others. The best you can hope for is for it to evolve into something like The Back Porch in Destin or the overheads and long off season coupled with the high rent and other costs, along with low numbers of locals crossing over the causeway to the island off-season will kill it, just like everything else that was there.

Oh yes... Just wait for another Ivan to blow in. Not if, but when. Who will bother to rebuild on the Island if its not as profitable as a Pensacola operation? This is why opening a mid to upmarket venue there is a mistake. It needs to be a sufficiently mass market place (does not have to be a Micky-d's) so that it will pay for 12 months of operation during the "summer six". Nobody else seems to have managed that trick...
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:44 pm

I wish them well and hope against hope they succeed. However, I will be very surprised if they make it and that is based on the demographics of the area and 98 traffic.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:40 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:I wish them well and hope against hope they succeed. However, I will be very surprised if they make it and that is based on the demographics of the area and 98 traffic.
Indeed so!

Over the last 6 months, I have become very negative about the long term viability of Navarre Beach as a place that I want to live in - at least for the central 5 month of the year. Before that, it was something I'd tolerate, but after this year (traffic increases, people, attitudes) in particular, my feeling is very much that its time to start "looking elsewhere". Both of my friends who live on Navarre Beach (one owns a townhouse and the other owns two condo units), are also talking of either selling and/or going back to renting all the properties they have and moving off the Island. They have been talking of going to live in places like Seaside or Rosemary Beach, neither of which are to my personal taste, but to each his or her own.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:20 am

You seem to be "up market," BJ. You should go over and join the 30-A crowd.

As a kid growing up in Pensacola we never had a dream to actually live on the beach. That came from all the folks in other parts of the country. We knew the beach was a special place to visit and you only left your footprints.

Oh, and we were "down market" folks and I guess I still am. Laid back beach without pretense for me.

:D
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:06 pm

It is definitely a lot more expensive over east of Destin and I would say there is an attitude about it. Heck, I know people here in Houston who would never be seen any other place than east of Destin. Not saying all the visitors or the locals there are like that but it is a very different demographic over there than Navarre. Not sure I would want to put up with that traffic either.

For me, any place that has people who want other people to know how special they are and how important they are and how influential they are and how much money they have (by whatever means to show this)...that place is not for me. Here is an example

[video][/video]
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Linda wrote:You seem to be "up market," BJ.
Why do you say that?
Linda
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:57 am

bjrichus wrote:
Why do you say that?
Just taking into account your point of view as the writer of the post.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:01 am

Linda wrote:
bjrichus wrote:
Why do you say that?
Just taking into account your point of view as the writer of the post.
What? That TC's won't be there? That traffic is horrible at the weekends and potentially poses a danger now? That I am looking for somewhere quieter than Navarre Beach now?

I tell you - that last one is surprising, but unfortunately true.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:27 am

In my opinion, for what it is or not worth, lol, I would say the building and buying and need for front row spaces on the beach by developers and then owners is the issue. You can't keep paradise if you pave it and bid them to come and rent out the weeks of summer.

Return to “Navarre Beach Area & Navarre Mainland Restaurants, Sports Bars & Retail Stores”