Roccos has closed!

This forum is where you discuss restaurants, bars, grocery stores, fish markets, gift shops, beach wear and other retail stores in the Navarre Beach and Navarre Mainland.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:51 am

It's in Navarre Press today, but Roccos is closed and is not scheduled to reopen.

Navarre loses another reasturant and that location just has no luck.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
ATLhoosier

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:37 am

Sorry to hear this...I will miss the spinach and artichoke dip most of all. However, I always thought an Italian restaurant on the beach seemed a bit out of place. Think we could coax Dave's Oyster Bar & Grill to open up a 2nd location or relocate to NB? That's the kind of food I crave when I'm at the beach!
The best things in life aren't things.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:59 am

Having owned and operated a beach business, imho, unless there is fairly heavy 12-month tourism, it is always going to be tough going. There simply is not enough mainland support in that area for the beach businesses to help them get through the tough off-season months! It's just a sad fact of business ... location, location, location! :? We had acquaintances in CO who ran a ski-rental business in the ski season and a scuba-diving business in the Caribbean during the high season there but it's hard to run a major food business that way since it requires much more personnel!
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:03 pm

AngelGirl wrote:Having owned and operated a beach business, imho, unless there is fairly heavy 12-month tourism, it is always going to be tough going. There simply is not enough mainland support in that area for the beach businesses to help them get through the tough off-season months!
Its hardly empty here! Half full would be my estimate. Next week after the holidays are done with and it might be different.

I am sure there is more to this than meets the eye. Staff issues (as in people leaving), personal problems, perhaps even building related trouble for all I know... plus the fact that the majority of people who come to the breach and all they want is a sub-$10 burger and fries, rather than a $35 Italian dinner.

It's interesting that the cafe's in ... Oh, I don't know ... Drive down SH-393 to the sea from 98 the other side of Destin to Navarre. They do cheap-ish food like chicken salad croissants at $6 and gourmet coffees from $2.50 a cup and cokes at $1.50 a go. Rocco's is never going to sell lunch for example, to a family of 4 (or more) trying to budget!

Navarre Beach needs something to appeal to the majority of people on the island and hope that our favorite beach gets something affordable, new, and good soon.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:37 am

South Santa Rosa News has a reasonable story about the closure:

http://ssrnews.com/roccos-closing-its-doors/

Rocco himself is saying that the locals don't cross over onto the island out of season, so the long term business model is unsustainable.

He is looking to reopen in Pensacola... Doesn't THAT alone tell us something?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:27 am

bjrichus wrote:South Santa Rosa News has a reasonable story about the closure:

http://ssrnews.com/roccos-closing-its-doors/

Rocco himself is saying that the locals don't cross over onto the island out of season, so the long term business model is unsustainable.

He is looking to reopen in Pensacola... Doesn't THAT alone tell us something?
I hope they do well on the mainland ... they have a generous menu and excellent food!

But yes, in my opinion, in view of the family budget, that location would be more suitable as a "food mall" with a wider selection of small specialty eateries and take-out instead of a higher-priced single-venue restaurant.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:45 am

AngelGirl wrote:But yes, in my opinion, in view of the family budget, that location would be more suitable as a "food mall" with a wider selection of small specialty eateries and take-out instead of a higher-priced single-venue restaurant.
I agree. Perhaps a food truck park would suit the summer clientele - even with the potential for more mess and litter. I guess there is a trade off between problems and benefits of each solution. No one person is ever going to be 100% satisfied with what happens here.
Going Nuts

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:24 am

I don't know why Navarre Beach can't land something local and casual with good seafood and oysters like a Peglegs. I believe people would indeed cross the bridge and support it. As far as Roccos making it in Pensacola.... good luck. There are enough very good restaurants for a mediocre one to make it here.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:32 am

Going Nuts wrote:I don't know why Navarre Beach can't land something local and casual with good seafood and oysters like a Peglegs. I believe people would indeed cross the bridge and support it. As far as Roccos making it in Pensacola.... good luck. There are enough very good restaurants for a mediocre one to make it here.
Recent history shows that the local population does not want to cross the bridge. That COULD be down to it being too hard or too pricy or something else entirely!

I don't think that Roccos was mediocre (when it was good), but P'cola does indeed have many more good places to choose from.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:11 pm

Food truck park?

Perhaps this is what Navarre Beach needs?

http://eatalfresco.com/

Pensacola "just did it".
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:14 am

I agree with AG and Going Nuts. Very hard to make a beach business, a food business at that, work in a place like Navarre during the off season months. As I stated in another thread and to agree with Going Nuts, I think a place like Peg Leg's or AJ's in Destin is needed. It is on the Gulf, it is a seafood area and the restaurant, I feel needs to be a seafood place but a very casual one like Peg Leg's.

I visited a restaurant in Redondo Beach, CA some 12 years back that I believe might work in that location. You walked in and were immediately hit with a very nice and decorative glass cooler with a host of various fishes displayed along with chicken, burgers, etc. You picked your fish, chose any number of ways to cook it along with several options for sides and then waited for it to be done. It was on the beach and was packed.

Wonder if an oyster/shrimp bar /Sports bar type of place might work?

I was always puzzled about an Italian place on the beach. Just did not fit with my mind.
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:26 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:I was always puzzled about an Italian place on the beach. Just did not fit with my mind.
Ditto. When we heard it was going to be an Italian restaurant, my wife & I both scratched our heads.

I've never heard an exact figure, but I have heard from several people that the rent there is astronomical.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:30 am

I really hate to see a business go out of business in the Navarre area and there have been a plethora of eateries do just that over the years. However, I am puzzled as to why the proprietors of that property do not do due diligence and a heavy background/investigation and see for themselves the history before jumping in and thinking their business will be the one to make it? I mean a positive attitude is great but the pattern, the history, the location and the seasons have everything to do with it making it or not.

Back in the 70's when it was Liolio's (the original was in Fort Walton) and I am not sure how long that lasted but it was Seafood only and it was lovely. Yes, it was a different era then and what made it then might not work today. The Palm also worked for quite a while. Cocodries and the Beach Monkey....a joke in my opinion. Certainly the Beach Monkey.

Hope you are well Dolfnfan. We are not going to be making it to Navarre this summer as a group but I will be making 3-4 trips on my own and will give you shout.
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:01 pm

Definitely give me a shout when you're in town, P'Kid.

I heard today that the owners of the Rocco's building DOUBLED - not raised, but doubled - the rent starting in January.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
BeachTeach

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Let's not forget the success of Cocodries for "MANY" years, year round.....the locals WILL cross the bridge to support a good business that has merit.

I have heard that the rent on the building has nearly tripled since those "Hey Day's" of Cocodries, which is more than likely the ultimate reason for the closure.

Return to “Navarre Beach Area & Navarre Mainland Restaurants, Sports Bars & Retail Stores”