area favorites

This forum is where you discuss restaurants, bars, grocery stores, fish markets, gift shops, beach wear and other retail stores in the Navarre Beach and Navarre Mainland.
snowman

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:21 pm

I know and have read about several area diners, cafés, ect.... Alphys seem to be the "place" to dine. Anybody else have a local favorite?????
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:55 pm

CULVER'S
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
snowman

Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Alright, sounds like a place I will check out. Thanks
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:50 am

Sailor's Grill and Rocco's - both on the island!
Also, Cactus Flower - new Samurai - East Bay Crabhouse - East River smokehouse (more for the view than food, but food "OK") - Creekside Southern Grill at Club at Hidden Creek.
Others - HelenBack - The Vine (Wine and Tappas) - O'Connor's - and Ye Old Brothers Brewery (in Holley). Slippery Mermaid, too.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:03 am

Snowman,

It depends on how far you want to drive and what your taste buds are telling you and if you are looking for original places. Obviously because of the logistics and the size of the town, Navarre is not as culinarily savvy as perhaps a Pensacola or Destin. Mainly in offers/choices. With that said Pete and Kenny have provided some options for you. Be advised though and here is my take having patronized every one of them.

Culvers is new, brand new but is a national chain, mainly up north. Very much like a Bob Evans or Perkins type of place. It is good but it is a chain

As Pete states, East River BBQ has THE best deck on the Sound and possibly in the area. The food is hit or miss with me, depending on the day and the item. I have had really great pulled pork there and I have had the same pulled pork and not so good. Out of 10 consistent 7 for me, on the food. The view....killer. The size of the drinks....killer.

Cactus Flower just to the east of the bridge, good Mexican food with a flair. Very well regarded.

East Bay Crab House, east of the bridge about a mile or so and on the north side of 98, before you get to Walmart. People either love the place or don't go there. I have patronized it at least a handful of times and never been disappointed. They tend to serve fresh fish/shrimp, etc., either fried or broiled and it is a bit more pricey but not bad.

The Irish restaurant, O'Connors in the Publix strip center as Pete mentioned is very good. I would not have thought so but the one time I did partake...very good!

There are any number of pizza joints but you can get pizza back home.

Sailor's Grill/Juana's....View...Outstanding! Atmosphere, doesn't get any better especially with the live bands in the Pagoda. Outstanding! Breakfast sitting on the Sound....pretty dang good and a lot of food. Dinner...skip it!! Just about every offering is nothing more than Sysco frozen and fried and it tastes just like it. Do not waste your money on Dinner at Sailor's Grill. Oh, Sailor's Grill's Key Lime Pie.....you'll sell your family to ISIS for another one. Well, maybe not but you get my point.

Loggerheads on the Pier.....thus far, the limited items I have ordered have been outstanding. The Pier Cheeseburger, one of the best and you can't beat the view. Inexpensive as well and the outdoor bar is very "homey" and a fun place to just sit back, have a beer or two and just watch and listen to all the lies being told.

Alphy's is very good and just north of 98 on 87. Great breakfast food for sure.

TC's right at the bridge and just to the left...I am not the one to ask as I have boycotted the place now for two years. Refuse to go back there. Nuff said.

Of course, Pensacola and Destin have a plethora of local and original establishments but BEWARE...if you venture into Destin, you will pay for it in traffic (horrible) and the costs of meals. They jack up everything because it is Destin and they know people will pay whatever they ask. If you do venture there....Harbor Docks. Since 1979 and still darn fine.

Pensacola...more laid back and the traffic is not as bad. The Fish House....outstanding and will be the first night restaurant my family visits in a couple of weeks. The Grand Marlin on the Sound. Pricey..beware but outstanding atmosphere and pretty good food. Pegleg Pete's on the beach in Pensacola. Great atmosphere, oyster bar on the back, good food, not terribly pricey. The Grouper bites...killer.

The best place of all....your own rental. Go to Joe Patti's in Pensacola as you come in or stop by Navarre Seafood (except on Monday's as they are closed) pick up some frozen Gumbo, a few pounds of shrimp, some various types of fish and cook'em at your place, whilest enjoying a nice Chardonnay or Margarita with some Jimmy Buffet playing in the background. "The Smell of Shrimp....They're Beginnin' to Boil" :D :D :D
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:13 am

Also forgot to add....don't waste your time on either Margaritaville in Destin or Pensacola. Don't get me wrong, loved Jimmy in his hayday and love still listening to his music and he is a genius but this themed restaurant and hotel are gimmicks and they are there to sell bad food and a ton of souvenirs. You would think at the least, Cheeseburger in Paradise would be a signature, outstanding offering. Yeah, not so much!

Two suggestions:

1. Go to Joe Patti's and get a couple of fillets of fresh Pompano. Make a nice salad and baked potato. In a small pot, melt REAL butter, a whole lemon's worth of juice and a nice clove of garlice minced. Throw in a small handful of parsley. Heat till melted and everything has meshed.

Broil the Pompano fillets until just browned around the edges. Of course, before you put them under the broiler, drizzle with EVOO and a little fresh cracked pepper and a slight bit of Paprika.

2. Same place or Navarre Seafood and buy two fillets of Red Snapper but make sure to have it filleted in such a way as to leave the scales and skin on on. Drizzle with EVOO, pepper, paprika and lemon juice and ideally, place over coals with a bit of mesquite or pecan wood. DO NOT turn the fish over. Put the lid on or keep the door closed and let the smoke and heat do it's thing. Over the coals the skin side will become very hard. Once done ....just a few minutes, you can pick out chunks of white meat with a fork. Snapper on the Half Shell!!

Enjoy!
snowman

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:10 pm

P'cola that post was the greatest reply I have read on a forum in a long long time. Lol, it made me laugh and still has me smiling reminds me of my father. I do want to say thanks to Kenny,yourself, A. Girl, David, pete for taking y'alls time to answer either here on the board or by pm all my questions. Thanks a bunch.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:14 pm

No worries mate...we are all glad to help out.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:56 am

Tend to agree with Kid about Margaretville Restaurants - nice "Buffett" atmosphere (and background music, and Jimmy has been known to drop in at one or the other on occasion) but can get better food (especially for the price).
While I stuck with Navarre "local" restaurants - regarding the Margaretville Hotel at P'cola Beach - while hotel is "pricy" (as the new hotel on Navarre beach appears will be - same owners) - we have eaten at the in-hotel restaurant "Frank & Lola's" several times (not yet this year, so far) and have been pleased. (again, a bit pricy, but so is Grand Marlin or The Fish House or Jackson's - all of which we love).
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Nidrah

Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Will be in Navarre starting Saturday! I was curious if any new restaurants had opened. Thanks for the post PK!

Return to “Navarre Beach Area & Navarre Mainland Restaurants, Sports Bars & Retail Stores”