Commissioners to vote “again” to change the Master Plan

This forum is where you find information about the Navarre Beach Master Plan. You can discuss here the pros and cons of changing the Navarre Beach Master Plan.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:41 am

Once “again” the County Commissioners will vote to approve or deny Sean Golden’s Summer Place property request to change the Navarre Beach Master Plan to allow Golden to build a high rise 16 story high rise condo. The public meeting in the Commissioner’s board room will be on the agenda for the evening of September 27.

SAY NO TO CHANGING THE NAVARRE BEACH MASTER PLAN!

Send your e-mail or letter TODAY to the County Commissioners

Who can oppose this application?
Anybody! You do not have to be a property at Navarre Beach to oppose this rezoning application.

When is the Commissioner’s public meeting?
September 27, 2007 6:00pm

Where will the public meeting be held?
*Santa Rosa County Administrative Complex Center
Commissioner’s Board Room
6495 Caroline Street, Milton, Florida
*If you prefer to send a letter instead of an e-mail send it to the address above. Be sure that you send your e-mail or letter to "ALL" (5) Commissioners.

What's this about?
If you are opposed to the rezoning of Low-Density property to High-Density (high rise condos) property that is not provided for in the Navarre Beach Master Plan, I encourage you to send an e-mail or letter Today to the following Santa Rosa County Commissioner(s):

Commissioner Tom Stewart
Chairman – District 1
comm-stewart@santarosa.fl.gov

Commissioner John Broxson
Vice Chairman – District 5
comm-broxson@santarosa.fl.gov

Commissioner Robert A. “Bob” Cole
District 2
comm-cole@santarosa.fl.gov

Commissioner W.D. “Don” Salter
District 3
Comm-Salter@santarosa.fl.gov

Commissioner Gordon Goodin
District 4
comm-goodin@santarosa.fl.gov
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
keywester

Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:21 pm

thanks for the info kenny,
i will email and try to attend the meeting. we need everyone to send in an email about this!!! its important..... please.
if there is anything else i can do kenny, let me know.
silverwings
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:34 pm

e-mails are good - lots of people is even better - so hopefully lots of people will show - if not lots then many - the more then better - be organized -remind these people that it is federal land - stop the growth.

also studying the impact on the turtle population - has the hatch been down? if so will further development help to improve the turtle population - the obvious answer is no - this beach belongs to everyone so i would encourage mainland people to get involved.
Randymetro
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:11 am

Why is this comming up again?
silverwings
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:37 am

it is coming up because the legality of it has not been challenged - i am not a lentiginous person - put it seems to me the people who constantly challenge the law should be held accountable - ignorance is no excuse.

if they slip once that's one thing - but there is a continuous barrage trying to wear down the public - that is both an insult, waste of time and in your face when it comes to honoring the national sea shore - and it is all national regardless of of names attached to it - then it is coupled with a master plan on top of that - so why are they messing with the master plan - just blatent disrespect, corruption, short sightedness.
Randymetro
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:06 pm

Im glad that I live at the other end. Kenny have you sold your condo yet?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:09 am

Shown below is an e-mail from Doug Springfield, president of the Belle Mer Ownwers Association. Doug's e-mail was sent to all of the Santa Rosa County Commissioners to oppose Sean Golden's request to change the Navarre Beach Master Plan to allow him to build a High-Density building (16 story high rise condo).

Have you sent your e-mail to the County Coomiisioners to voice your opinion?

To: comm-goodin@co.santa-rosa.fl.us ; comm-cole@co.santa-rosa.fl.us ; comm-broxson@co.santa-rosa.fl.us ; comm-stewart@co.santa-rosa.fl.us ; comm-salter@co.santa-rosa.fl.us
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 3:12 PM
Subject: Rezoning Application 2007-R-047

Dear Commissioners,

I am writing this letter both in my capacity as the President of the Belle Mer Condominium Association as well as an owner of unit # 303 to oppose the Rezoning/Large Scale Future Land Use Map (FLUM) Amendment Application 2007-R-047. I request you deny this application again for essentially the same reasons as you denied the application on May 31, 2007 and July 26, 2007.

This application from Mr. Golden is merely a repeat of his previous requests to change the FLUM for Summer Place to High Density residential without any new, compelling evidence to do so. In addition, he also requests that the master plan be reinstated to allow this change without having sought out the input, feedback, and concerns of the residents of Navarre Beach as would normally occur in the master planning process. At the last hearing on July 26, the commission decided not to vote on the application because Mr. Golden had not demonstrated that the Navarre Beach master plan should be changed just to accomodate his business need to obtain a redesignation of the property. Instead, the commission appropriately requested that Mr. Golden do the necessary research and consultation with the people of Navarre Beach that would provide any evidence of the need to support his request. However, this important planning work has not been completed by Mr. Golden and therefore the evidence to support his application is missing.

I also want to emphasize that, in addition to Belle Mer, the neighboring condominiums of Navarre Towers and Emerald Surf oppose Mr. Golden's application for the same reasons as the residents of Belle Mer. There may be other condominium associations on Navarre Beach, such as The Carribean, that also oppose the application. I am reasonably certain that none of these communities have been asked for their comments from Mr. Golden. His main, and possibly only, support may be from a few local businesses on Navarre Beach that also seek to gain from the change to high density rezoning.

I respectfully request the commission continue to ensure the integrity of the master plan process that the residents of Navarre Beach trust you uphold, as you did in the previous hearings on this matter, by voting to deny Mr. Golden's application.

Thank you,

Doug Springfield
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
silverwings
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:09 am

good letter - i hope the beach community is organized - i hope the mainland is also concerned with this issue and gets involved.

somewhere somehow it needs to come to everyone's attention that this is federal land being leased from the federal government and needs to be protected.

perhaps the recognition of global warming and the strength of storms making this a bad investment idea that will be injurious to the sea shore and anyone investing in it causing greater financial losses then pluses.

greed has not place concerning such a beautiful national treasure.
keywester

Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:22 pm

i sent mine too

September 27, 2007

TO: Santa Rosa County Commissioners

Navarre Beach Leaseholder
President, Pensacola Beach Preservation Society

Dear Commissioners:

While considering Sean Golden's request to change the Navarre Beach Master Plan to allow him to build a High-Density 16 story condo project, please keep the following points in mind. No changes to the Master Plan should be taken lightly or unfairly. There is a public process, an opportunity for Santa Rosa County residents to participate in the planning process and the future of Navarre Beach. Any changes to the Master Plan should be executed in accordance to the law. The voice of Navarre Beach and County residents should be sought on such matters and when the majority of your constituents believe the island should be preserved for future generations in its current state, it is your responsibility to listen.
A change to high density, in this manner could open the door to many things such as more requests for zoning changes. If this is granted to Mr. Golden now, how many more will ask the same and on what basis could you then say no? This is why there is a master plan. The plan should be adhered to and not changed without the necessary public process and input. I ask you today to uphold that process.
Navarre Beach leaseholders, if polled, would tell you that the current number of condominiums are sufficient to meet the demand. Rental records will reflect this. The last situation needed at Navarre Beach at this point is more condo units in a national market slump added to the downturn of buyers due to recent hurricanes. So while there may exist a few business owners that support this rezoning application, please remember there are hundreds and hundreds of leaseholders that are opposed to it, considering the current market.
Throughout the state of Florida numbers of condo beach front projects are failing. I can send you the many news articles to document this if you are interested in reading them. Municipalities are being put in the position of bailing out failed and build and run condo projects. Even if the majority of county residents supported the rezoning request, and they don't, hurricanes, insurance, and financing woes make this a risky time to take such reckless action.
I was born in Santa Rosa County and have been visiting Navarre Beach for most of my life. The slow growth of our quiet and tranquil island have made it a pristine paradise. We leaseholders, county residents, and our tourists like it the way it is, uncluttered. Please defend this treasure. The mission of our Society is the preservation of Santa Rosa Island and its nature. More than half of our 1000+ participants are Santa Rosa County residents. We do ask that you consider our viewpoint on this very important decision.
Thank you for your consideration.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:12 pm

Very good letter, Vic!

:-)
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
silverwings
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:05 pm

well written key - and i am sure everything in your letter is also well documented.

we have a problem with people coming up with ideas for profit and no regard of the consequences - it would be great if that information could get tot he investors - unfortunatly the investers will be looking for a fast roll over so as not to get slamed with losses.

however all of that being said it is most irresponsible for the board to further jepordize the current leaseholders and the island with an already flooded market.

and it also sucks that i do not have access to spell check.

Return to “Navarre Beach Master Plan”