Navarre Beach Master Plan In Jeopardy

This forum is where you find information about the Navarre Beach Master Plan. You can discuss here the pros and cons of changing the Navarre Beach Master Plan.

Should the Navarre Beach Master Plan be changed

No, I do not want the Navarre Beach Master Plan Changed
94%
Yes, I want the Navarre Beach Master Plan Changed
6%

Total votes: 34
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:34 pm

I attended the Commissioner’s meeting this morning in Milton and my take on the situation is that we now have a month to work on opening up the flood gates of public opinion before the next scheduled Commissioner’s meeting on July 26 to hear the Summer Place request to change the Navarre Beach Master Plan for their property alone. Commissioner Goodin sent me an e-mail this afternoon about the meeting in Milton this morning and he has given me permission to post it below in its entirety as follows:

From: ggoodin2@earthlink.net [mailto:ggoodin2@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 4:27 PM
To: Kenny Wilder
Subject: Re: Summer Place

Hello Kenny. Didn't get a chance to say hello this morning, but I appreciate
you coming to the meeting this morning. How is your mother? You've had more
than your share of issues to deal with lately and you could probably do
without the aggravation Summer Place is causing.

I noticed this morning that Commissioner Cole was fairly quiet. I don't know
if it means anything, but I believe he (and any other reasonable person)
would recognize that the County was an active participant in the development
of Summer Place. That ought to create a moment of consideration, especially
since we approve subdivisions every meeting. The BOCC's credibility is at
stake (more than ever) if we rule in favor of Summer Place on this request.
I'm pretty sure DCA would have heartburn too if the circumstances weren't
more unique than Sean's. Also, the precedent that will be set by reopening
any Master Plan for a single item's consideration undermines the process and
will destroy the integrity of every plan we have endorsed and created.

I don't know if my fellow Commissioners are sensitive to the points above,
but this is truly bigger than Summer Place/Belle Mer and they should
consider the consequences of their actions.

Thanks again for all your help.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
KathiTreky

Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:11 am

This is the reply I got from Comm. Broxson..guess we know where he stands!

Thank you for contacting me on this important matter.

Yesterday the commission heard from attorneys for both sides. We did not take action to reverse our previous decision to reject the request to change the Master Plan. Another hearing on this will be conducted on July 23, 2007, in the commission chambers. This is a somewhat complicated matter since initially in 1995 the Master Plan called for this property to be designated as high density. The commission later changed it to low density. The applicant's attorney questioned the legitimacy of that later decision. Regardless of our action, this matter could be headed to Court.

My position is that the Master Plan should be considered again the same as it was originally done, that is, a board should be reappointed by the County Commission to hold hearings, get citizen input and make a recommendation to us. There could be other changes that should be made to the Master Plan since a lot of time has elapsed and several storms have divested the island.

The public as always is welcome to participate in this open discussion.

Sincerely,

John Broxson

Navarre Beach

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See what's free at AOL.com.
The Joe Patrol

Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:28 pm

They paved paradise,,, and put up a parking lot

If you haven't noticed yet, our little paradise is no longer "Florida's Best Kept Secret". Perhaps a more appropriate moniker would be "Santa Rosa's Golden Goose"?

It doesn't require a degree in quantum physics to understand the connection between the ongoing efforts to tax the individual leaseholders right off the island and the backroom preparations for the coming wave of concrete jungle growers.

That's the real "Master Plan"! And, most likely has been, every since the day they decided to invest in building the bridge.

It's all about the money. And sadly, I fear nothing can change our future Destiny

My only comfort, we in the south county are blessed that the only brakeman trying to slow this runaway train is our own GG.

A vote for GG is a vote for Paradise.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:07 pm

Unfortunately you may be correct. All indications would lead one to that conclusion. Despite this all, I for one still have hope that not all is or will be lost, and that at the very least, Navarre Beach can maintain it's current state of beauty. I would really hate to have to refer to Navarre Beach as "Remember when..."
kayaker

Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:22 pm

YES - Let’s Change the Master Plan

I am a business owner at Navarre Beach and I support Sean Golden the owner of Summer Place in wanting to build a 16 story high rise condo. Others have constructed high rise condos on the beach so why should there be restrictions for Summer Place. This mess is all about condo owners at Belle Mer making a fuss about not wanting their view blocked by a proposed high rise next door to them. I bet most of the posters here are Belle Mer owners. A Summer Place high rise condo would be good for business at Navarre Beach.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:50 pm

Kayaker I do not own a condo on Navarre Beach. And if the Master Plan is changed for the owner of Summer Place, and then the next person, and so on, when will it end? Maybe the plan could be changed again to place a twenty story high rise next to Summer Place? What would be the point of a Master Plan? What business do you own on the beach? I will be in NB and maybe I can visit and support your business.
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:38 pm

Kyaker,

I, also, do not own a condo on Navarre Beach but I do support the Master Plan and believe that changes to that plan to accomodate one (only one, NOW!) developer will set a precident that will be used and abused by many more as time goes by just as the changes in Destin were, and still are, abused by the developers and the county.

In an earlier post you said that you "believe that the development would add a needed benefit". You were asked what those benifits might be and haven't answered. I am curious as to what you feel them to be. Please let us know. Who knows, you may change my mind with good, fact based, logic.

I really wish you would get off the finger pointing at Belle Mer. I believe that you will find a small number of the posters on this forum to be owners at Belle Mer. Their objections are valid and it is noted they relied on the validity of the Master Plan when they purchased. One should not blame them for voicing their objections. Support for Belle Mer in their objections comes from the community and this forum as a whole (with few exceptions). It comes from every other condo on the beach, most all the cottage owners, and the NB Lease Holders because any change in the Master Plan will eventually effect them all.

I support those that own businesses on Navarre Beach and their decision to run one in such a small community. Since I work on the beach, I send people to them continually. I honestly can not see the construction of a high rise on that one small piece of property as a HUGE benefit to any one of our existing businesses. Larger numbers would come from the properties already zoned for high density. Why not support and root for their development????????? I ran businesses in Destin when there were only a few and I can assure you that the building of one high rise, crowded on a small piece of property, did not make a difference in our numbers. Yes, a LOT of high rises will make a difference in the numbers but will also draw more competition for existing businesses (yours included) at the same time that it ruins the beach as we, now, know it.

Are a LOT more high rises than those already allowed in the Master Plan on Navarre Beach what you really want?????? Do you really want to set a precident that could ruin the laid back beach that we all consider paradise, the same one that you decided to live and own a business on????????
Last edited by David on Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
beachwalker

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:39 pm

Southernbreeze, maybe you don't know where Summer Place is but it is four houses sandwiched between Bel Mer, a high rise and Emerald Surf, a high Rise so it is only logical that Summer Place be a high rise. I love Navarre Beach and I also want to support our businesses, they have struggled to come back from the devastation the hurricanes have left behind.
beachwalker

Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:48 pm

David, the original Master Plan created in 1995 called for this piece of property to be High density (a high rise)
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:28 pm

Beachwalker,

But, it was corrected later, for good reason, in the Master Plan as we now know it. Again, do we change, or ask for the review of the Master Plan every few years just to accomodate one property at a time????? The precident is not a good one to set.

I am very familiar with the property. Yes, 4 very nice, 3 story, parking on the 1st level, cottages located on 4 of 7 small lots. I believe you can honestly qualify Belle Mer as a high rise (16 floors) but it is a stretch to say "sandwiched between 2 high rises" when Emerald Surf doesn't have but a couple more floors, if that, than the existing cottages.

Incidently, the board and owners of Emerald Surf are also opposed to a high rise on the Summer Place property.

You know, come to think of it, we may be beating a dead horse anyway. It is going to be a task to create and get permited enough parking, holding ponds, landscapeing, etc., etc. on such a small piece of property. The cottages, themselves, run out of parking as it is now. From a layman's view, they may not qualify for what they want. It may involve to much of an investment vs return if the first few floors have to be for parking.
David
beachwalker

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:16 pm

David,
I won't say corrected but it was changed and I am not sure what the good reason was, I am sure if Emerald Surf or the high rise to the right of it had been destroyed in the hurricanes they would be bought by an investor and would be rebuilt as high as possible maybe higher than Bel Mer. The original master plan called for Summer Place to be high density in 1995, Bel Mer was built in 1996, the change didn't occur until I believe in 2001. All of the people against this change should just buy these properties and keep them as they are. I am paying outrageous property taxes and I want to see growth in Navarre to help our tax base. I for one am excited about the prospect of getting a marina and a hotel on the beach, I encouage growth. I am sorry you were so disappointed with Destin but we can never be a Destin we don't have the land to ever even think about being close to that kind of growth. What we do have is dedicated National and State parks for us to always enjoy.
KathiTreky

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:21 pm

I own a condo unit and I own a lot in the residential area of Navarre Beach. I purchased that lot BECAUSE it was zoned single family residential. If anyone can challenge the master plan, whose to say that a high rise condo won't be built next to my single family lot. I don't want that and I strongly oppose challenging the master plan. I think these business owners only want more people on the beach and aren't thinking of the consequences. IMHO
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Beachwalker I know exactly where Summer Place is located. I have stayed in one of the homes. I have also stayed at Emerald Surf. And yes, I believe that David is correct about the posibility of Navarre Beach becoming another Destin. I know that property taxes are completely out of control, but building more high density buildings will not change that. KathiTreky is also correct. Who is going to be next in line to change the plan for their interest. Again, where does it end?
beachwalker

Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:38 pm

I also own residential lots on Navarre Beach and would be highly upset if someone wanted to build a high rise next to me however that is not the case with Summer Place, it is sandwiched between two highrises not between two residential single family dwellings and the logical people who originally drew up the master plan labeled it high density. Logic tells me more people, higher priced dwellings equals more tax dollars which spreads our tax base so my property tax will be less. We can never be another Destin as we only have about 3 1/2 miles to build on, we need more businesses and growth in our area.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:46 am

Misunderstanding about High-Rise Buildings

There seems to be a misunderstanding in labeling both the Belle Mer and the Emerald Surf as High-Rise Residential Buildings. The attorneys for Summer Place have labeled the Emerald Surf as a High-Rise Residential Building during their presentations at the Planning and Zoning Board meeting and the last two County Commissioners meetings. I was present at all three public meetings. The attorneys for the Belle Mer have strongly refuted this comparison in each of the three public meetings.

So who is right? In my opinion it is very clear that the Emerald Surf is not the High-Rise Residential Building as being portrayed by the attorneys for Summer Place. To prove my point, please view my photo below, and click the photo to view an enlargement with all the detail to decide for your self if Emerald Surf is really a High-Rise similar to the Belle Mer.

Image Click Photo to enlarge – Photo by Kenny Wilder
To the Left of the above photo is the Belle Mer as viewed from Gulf Blvd. In the center of the photo is a picture of all (4) Zoned Residential Homes* of the Summer Place Community. To the far Right is the 5 story Emerald Surf with the tan exterior and dark green metal roof.

*Summer Place Beach Homes = Pink beach home, green beach home, grey beach home and yellow green home.

To view MORE photos comparing Belle Mer, Summer Place Community and Emerald Surf click on the link below on my online photo gallery.

http://www.pbase.com/kennywilder/belle_mer_summer_place
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “Navarre Beach Master Plan”