Navarre Beach Master Plan In Jeopardy

This forum is where you find information about the Navarre Beach Master Plan. You can discuss here the pros and cons of changing the Navarre Beach Master Plan.

Should the Navarre Beach Master Plan be changed

No, I do not want the Navarre Beach Master Plan Changed
94%
Yes, I want the Navarre Beach Master Plan Changed
6%

Total votes: 34
vickinoe
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:52 pm

Look at the mess that Portofino made out of Pensacola Beach. Now all you see are those dang towers at the end of the National Seashore. None of us wants that mess on Navarre Beach. Navarre is quiet and family friendly. That's the way all of us want it to stay.
We want 2 live in Navarre
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:16 pm

I agree and nice pic vickie

Red
Someday we will call Navarre Beach our Home!
David
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:49 pm

Beachwalker,

I'm sorry you feel yourself mis-understood. Yes, I do feel your statements were exagerated to plea your case just as an attorney might do the same, but I don't remember saying you were dishonest. You really shouldn't take honest debate personally just because the majority disagrees with your statements or opinions.

Stick around, I think you will find that most people on this forum are lovers of the beach that you bought lots on. I believe you will find that they want the best for everyone, investors and residents alike, and they do not mind expressing that desire.

I'm glad we are running a poll. Now, those afraid to post can vote their desire without fear of debate. Looks to be running against any change in the Master Plan. Yea!!!!!
David
PoolGirl

Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:29 am

Thanks Kenny for keeping us all informed. I sent emails to all Commisioners thanking for their time and patience in this matter. I did ask them to please consider us long time residents and how the re-zoning will effect us all. We do not want to look like Destin! I also showed your site to my mom. She told me that your site is the neatest thing she has seen in a long time. You photos are FABULOUS!!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:01 pm

As I review the NBMP documents at the link Kenny posted (trying to educate myself on history of this issue) I have a couple of questions - maybe someone can answer?

It appears that Map 5-B. 1990 land use - had the area of Navarre Towers and Bel Mer as High Density - and Low Density to the west, including the Summer Place and Emerald Surf areas, and beyond.

Then Map 5-C 1995 - had the entire NT/BM/SP/ES area as HD (with a new stretch of HD further west, between two stretches of Low Density Res.)

Then Map 5-D 2001 - has just SP changed back to low density, but left ES and the stretch west (between the two LDRes areas) as HD. Why was this change made? Looks "patchwork" - compared to the 1990 and 1995 maps.

Map 5-E - current 2000 zoning - also has the entire NT/BM/SP/ES area as HD. (and the 1995 & 2001 FLUM HD area to the west as "R2")
While map 5-F - 2001 proposed zoning - has again a "cut out" for Summer Place that looks out of place? (and "MD res" where the "R2" was)

However, map 5H shows that Navarre Towers and Bel Mer are in the "commercial core area" (where HD Res are allowed 16 stories), Summer Place and Emerald Surf are outside the "CCA" and limited to 12 stories by zoning if land use shows HD.

So, first, am I correct that with current master plan and current zoning the Emerald Surf could rebuild to 12 stories?

And, is it just me that thinks the cluster of single houses in Summer Place looks out of place between the two HD condos?

While I fully agree that the Master Plan shouldn't be changed to accomodate just one parcel - it seems that there are other issues allowed by the current plan/zoning that maybe should be addressed in a comprehensive review?

While I am a Navarre "mainlander" and a "newbe" (since 2002), I did first visit the beach in 1988 (Holiday Inn) - and with the changes already in place since - I would rather see Emerald Surf property limited to current 6 stories and also allow Summer Place property build to 6 to 12 stories - than have Emerald Surf go to currently allowed 12 and keep Summer Place at 3?

I also think a 12-story Embassy Suites/Condo/Conference Center soundside at the east edge of the state/county park area (which appears to be allowed IAW both the current master plan and zoning) - would be more "out of place" than a 12-story building at Summer Place?

Is everyone sure they they want no changes to the plan?
If so - then you may get what you want - with both what is good and not so good with current plan?
Need to look at not only what currently exists (or did pre-Ivan/Dennis), but what is ALLOWED by the current plan/zoning.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:32 am

Agree - Master Plan (FLUP) shouldn't be changed for "one-off" issues - but should be periodically reviewed with all the publicity, communication, meetings, input, and representation, etc. as possible.
Still curious as to why - in previous Master Plans - it appears the Summer Place property, and the residential/commercial property at the NE edge of the state/county park (east of causway - proposed Embassy Suites) - BOTH seemed to get "special" treatment compared to adjacent land?
Pete
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:03 pm

NavarreBreeze,

You are thinking as I have. Just too darn coincidental that both these projects came up together in the same meeting where Summerplace seeks the Master Plan be changed after being turned down for rezoning under the present Plan.

I also find it interesting that a suggestion came from a comissoner about a trade of property for the proposed hotel so to put it closer to the main road. Seems that suggestion had to have had some prior thought. Could that suggestion have come because the properties proposed for the hotel are actually divided by lots controlled by the county as park property? Seems, to me, that the project would be difficult to complete on the land proposed because of the piece of property in between and that is the real reason for the suggestion of a trade. Just the fact that it is within the park property would also bring a roar from the public who have been told all along that the County would not allow development of high rise buildings withing that property. Was there discussion with Commissioners prior to the meeting concerning the properties and is there a connection with Summerplace with the real goal to change the Master Plan??? What other changes are being looked at for other than the Summerplace property and the property enclosed by the park that is now zoned residential that we are unaware of??? Why was there not discussion about the fact that the park property would have to be rezoned (also a change in the Master Plan).

Again, as others have said, lots to do over something already turned down. Lots of Commissoner's time and County money spent. What are the real reasons behind all this???? What is going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of???
David

Return to “Navarre Beach Master Plan”