Another 16 Story High Rise Condo may be coming soon

This forum is where you find information about the Navarre Beach Master Plan. You can discuss here the pros and cons of changing the Navarre Beach Master Plan.
We want 2 live in Navarre
Power User
Power User

Thu May 17, 2007 8:35 am

And if this issue gets alot of press it might get shut down and all the real estate people who aren't involved don't want the press because if this rezoning passes it sets the trend of what they will be able to do in the future. They may not want this particular rezoning to go through but it would greatly help them to get the right basically, to be able to request the whole beach get rezoned 1 house at a time. They don't care about the people the beach the wild life or the condo owners here, all they care about is new prospective sales they might get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have an area that is zoned for high rises so logically the only intelligent decision would be to make them put their high rise there, but NO that land is probably alot more expensive and they wouldn't make as much profit,. Someone with some pull in the community needs to get involved and I mean NOW!

Kenny how about posting some links to some local news papers let us flood them with letters too.

I tell you what if I spent my whole life savings to retire in a secluded beach with a nice view and within 5 years what was zoned residential has been changed and now there are 50 condo's with 20 floors and now I cant even get any sun or even see the beach I would be sewing everyone, well except a few of my friends on here, lol.

Red :evil:
Someday we will call Navarre Beach our Home!
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Thu May 17, 2007 9:00 am

Mornin' All -

Thinking about this situation and the realtors being silent ... how are they going to market beach property when it becomes a concrete jungle? It will lose its' allure, thus "no sales". Vacationers will want to stay in the newer buildings, while the older ones will go unrented. That's sort of what's happening over in Destin ... too much competition ... many units sit vacant for weeks on end.

We can't let this happen on Navarre Beach!

Have a good day. EBB
clockdoc45

Thu May 17, 2007 5:23 pm

Boy there are a lot of reasons expressed on how and who this rezoning will affect. Some very personal and others complaining about how others will make a lot of money.
I'm sorry and I do not want to be raining on your parade , But the county has put the agenda in place and you are not going to change anything. I left Destin because it boomed in a few short years. Over built and many days traffic gridlock. Navarre Beach has the first step put in place by the county with the taxes. The hurricanes added another step, lack of vacationers and higher insurance. The the final stage is almost everything on the island is for sale. Guessing I would say there is between 40 to 60% of the property on the island is for sale. Another problem that exists is , at this period of time there no buyers for what is for sale. So if the zoning is changed these sellers now have prospective buyers and that would make them happy. Those who are selling most likely just want a buyer. If those buyers are coming to the beach to build condos that will make the county happy. Just look at what the windfall of taxes would be.
Now lets look at the other side. There are locals who want to go to the beach and keep it like it is. There are vacationers that want it to stay the same. There are also owners of land who want to build there someday. That is where I am at this point. But I see the writing on the wall. When they pass the zoning change I'll be able to sell my lot because it will no longer serve the purpose I once wanted. It's not what I want to see happen, but open your eyes and see what logic says. The chance is so very slim to keep the island as it is. I'll most likely go with the flow and try to find a new Navarre beach. Unfortunately the choices are getting very very slim. I wish the best to all of you, But remember nothing remains the same.
Power User
Power User

Fri May 18, 2007 7:36 am

What ever clockdoc, some things do stay the same and people can make a difference! It is your lack of motivation, faith, and commitment that lets change walk all over the rest of us. Some change is good, but some change can be very bad. It is up to the people who want to stand up for what they believe in to help guide change the right way!

You are the type who will give in and run and say "you cant fight cause we can't win" well how many battles have been won with only the smallest glimmer of hope. Standing up for what you believe in defines us as human beings!

I am going to stop before I say something I don't mean.

RED :x
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri May 18, 2007 8:43 am

What’s this all about?

It’s about High-Density rezoning of Navarre Beach.
It’s about keeping Navarre Beach from becoming another Destin.

What is High-Density zoning? High-Density zoning for Navarre Beach is property where you can build a high rise 16 story condo that includes a garage (17 stories). What is Low-Density zoning? Low-Density zoning is beach homes and small condos that are only 1 or 3 stories.

To put all all of this into perspective here is what is going on. The properties (4 beach homes and 4 vacant lots) to the west Belle Mer want to build a high rise condo. So these property owners requested that their Low-Density zoning be changed (rezoned) to high-Density before the Local Planning Board in Milton on May 10. They won their rezoning request and Navarre beach lost.

Now the people and friends of Navarre Beach get a chance to appeal the Local Planning Board’s decision. The appeal will be before the County Commissioners in Milton on May 31. This appeal process will include your e-mails/letters of opposition. A big turn out of people is needed to fill the meeting room on May 31 to deny this application for High-Density rezoning. If you can be there in person at this public meeting it will have a great impact on the County Commissioner’s decision.

If you have not sent your e-mail or letter to the County Commissioners, I urge you to do it TODAY. We need your help.

We are going to WIN this battle!

CLICK HERE for Local Planning Board Video
Public Meeting May 10, 2007
To listen to the video about the rezoning request for the High Rise Condo place your cursor on the time slider to the right till you see the time 1:29:35.

County Commissioners Video
Public Meeting May 31, 2007

Video will not be available until after the Commissioners Public Meeting
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Mon May 21, 2007 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Fri May 18, 2007 9:19 am

It has been said that beside death and taxes, the only other constant in life is change. How often do we say "remember when" or "it used to be"? There is change in everything, relationships, work, environment, etc. And yes, Navarre Beach has experienced its share of change from the sand dunes and sea oats, cylinder block houses, no stores or highrises, and unfortunately hurricanes. Even as other areas such as Destin, Panama City Beach, and Pensacola Beach were "changing" Navarre Beach remained relatively "unchanged." And this is what I believe has been and is the attraction for many people, both vacationers and residents. This type of area is dissappearing through "change." Even the unspoiled areas around St George Island and Port St Joe and other areas East of Panama City Beach are slowly being changed. For those who wish for Navarre Beach to maintain its current attraction and not turn into another same old, then you must voice your concerns and opinions to anyone and all who will listen. Will it make a difference? Well time will tell, but with silence you can be assured that Navarre Beach will change, and probably into more of the same old. I for one hope that some sort of balance or agreement can be achieved to maintain and distinguish Navarre Beach as the beautiful area that it currently still is.
Last edited by SouthernBreeze on Fri May 18, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fun at the beach

Fri May 18, 2007 9:33 am

Mr. Wilder,

I just registered on your forum. This is my first message ever on any forum. But, I felt compelled to let you know that I am with you on blocking this rezoning request. I have a home on Gulf Blvd. that is beach front property about one mile west of Belle Mer. If this rezoning request is approved by the Commissioners of Santa Rosa County, my home and property might be affected next. I am 100% in favor of stopping this madness. By the way I think your photography is wonderful.
Rosebud

Fri May 18, 2007 1:26 pm

Dear Kenny, I have just written five emails to each of the commissioners opposing the rezoning. Hope it helps.

Rosebud
clockdoc45

Fri May 18, 2007 5:56 pm

WOW!! It sure sounds like I stepped on someones toes. I agree with what you say about sticking up for what you beleive in. But you better know what you are going up against. The statements I made are true. If not please point out to me what I said that was not true. If you want to win this battle, direct your frustration in the direction that will do some good. If you want everyone to sit back and say everything is great, don't look my way. I'll call it the way it is and maybe you will work harder to achieve your goals. I also own on Gulf Blvd and want to build, I also own a condo to stay in while I'm at the beach. There is nothing I would love more than see the island stay where it was 5 years ago. You tell me what we should do! I'm not against sending emails to express my concern, I did. But at the same time I know how much good it is going to do with the conditions we are working against. Enjoy the beach, but remember there are alot of people you have not heard from that want it all changed. I'm not one of them.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Fri May 18, 2007 6:21 pm

I sent my e-mails this morning to the commissioners ... within an hour I had a reply back from Comm. Broxson. Around noon, Comm. Cole replied. Stock response ... "I will take it into consideration when making my decision."

EBB
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun May 20, 2007 11:20 am

NBLRA Position on rezoning

The Navarre Beach Leaseholders Residence Association (NBLRA) supports the County Commissioners in denying High-Density to any property to the west of the Belle Mer or the rezoning of any property to High-Density that is not included in the Navarre Beach Master Plan.

I was at the NBLRA monthly meeting this past Saturday. Jim Taylor the president of the NBLRA asked me to talk about the Summer Place rezoning application. After my talk Jim said that the High-Density rezoning application by Summer Place should be denied by the County Commissioners on May 31. He said that he would ask to have face to face discussions separately with each Commissioner before the public meeting. And that he planned to be at the public meeting on behalf of the NBLRA. No person at the NBLRA meeting on Saturday was in favor of the County rezoning Low-Density property to High Density west of the Belle Mer. Everybody seemed to be on the same page that the County Commissioners need to just abide by the Master Plan.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Capt.Gilligan

Sun May 20, 2007 2:27 pm

:? ANOTHER HIGHRISE? Come on ? Are they kidding. Sounds like just another way to increase the county TAX base again from Navarre Beach. A low rise or mid rise maybe but I hope they don't want us to look like Miami. The reason MaryAnne and I came to Navarre is the simple life of the Santa Rosa County / Mayberry lifestyle and people. Let's keep it"old Florida" Santa Rosa County folks, Gilligan.
Ahoy Matey ! Enjoy The Cruise.
Power User
Power User

Mon May 21, 2007 7:58 am

Clockdoc says "I agree with what you say about sticking up for what you believe in."

If you believe, then support us and encourage a positive outcome, I really believe that half of battles are mental. It just really frustrates me, because I feel thats one of our biggest problems as American people. Individuals think they can't win or aren't good as there competitors and they don't try or they try half heartedly.

Sorry Clock, if i was a little rough on ya I am ready for vacation! We leave this wednesday!

Maybe I can buy ya a drink at Jauna's.

Red
Power User
Power User

Mon May 21, 2007 8:22 am

Sand castle I couldn't have said it better myself!

Thanks for the support of positive thinking, when I am faced with a problem I am convinced before I even think of a solution that I can solve it positively!!!!!

see ya all soon

Red :D
Randymetro
Power User
Power User

Tue May 22, 2007 9:30 am

Between Superman and Caveman how can we lose.

Return to “Navarre Beach Master Plan”