Another 16 Story High Rise Condo may be coming soon

This forum is where you find information about the Navarre Beach Master Plan. You can discuss here the pros and cons of changing the Navarre Beach Master Plan.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue May 01, 2007 9:41 am

Another 16 Story High Rise Condo may be coming soon

This may be the last time that you can stop an application for a high rise condo at Navarre Beach. This application will decide if the lovers of Navarre Beach want to become another Destin.

Who can oppose the application?
Anybody! Anybody includes condo owners, beach home owners, businesses, beach visitors, and any reader of this forum.

How do I oppose the application?
E-mail: Send e-mail TODAY to Shawnw@santarosa.fl.gov
Fax: Send fax TODAY to 850-983-9874
*Attend Public Meeting: Local Planning Board – Thursday, May, 10, 2007 at 6:00 pm. The meeting will be held at the Santa Rosa County Administrative Complex Center in the Commissioners Board Room at 6495 Caroline Street, Milton, FL.
*If you attend the meeting to oppose the application you should still send an e-mail or fax for the record.
There has been a rumor for about a year that the owner(s) of these (7) lots want to sell, flip or develop this property into a 16 story high rise condominium. It appears that this is no longer a rumor.

Shown below is the Santa Rosa County Notice of a Public Hearing and a map showing the (7 lots) properties that want to build a high rise condo next door to the west of the Belle Mer. The Belle Mer is the only condo on Navarre Beach that faces Southwest rather than South on the Gulf. What this means is that if a high rise condo is built next door to the west of the Belle Mer, a large portion of the Belle Mer condo owner’s view will be blocked by the high rise condo of the Gulf.

If you oppose this application you are invited to attend the public meetings mentioned in the “Letter – Notice of Public Hearing” below and present written and /or verbal comments. If you are unable to attend either meeting, you may provide written comments to the Santa Rosa County Zoning office for presentation to the Board (s). Comments regarding this item may be sent via fax at (850) 983-9874 or e-mail to Shawnw@santarosa.fl.gov - Comments on this forum will be e-mailed to the County within 24 hours of each of the two scheduled meetings.

Public Meeting Notice

Map - Public Notice (2007-R-047)
ImageClick image to enlarge
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:47 am, edited 14 times in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
lss

Tue May 01, 2007 9:53 am

So those rental homes would go down for a high rise? Yuck. Just my humble opinion. I love the beach look of those homes, the colors..fits nicely with Navarre Beach. Vote it down.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue May 01, 2007 10:01 am

My Navarre Friends,

I have no say in what transpires in Navarre Beach, as I do not live there (yet)! However, if at all possible, please offer your vote to stop any further high rise action on Navarre Beach. There are already what, 7-10 of them over 10 stories. Do we really want NB to become a sea (no pun intended) of high rise properties. I say no! It is unsightly at the very least! If that one goes up, then others will want to do the same thing. Take a look sometime at Destin from any one of the restaurants on the Harbor. You can not see a grain of a dune or an ounce of water. You could before the mid 80's! No MORE HIGHRISES!
lss

Tue May 01, 2007 11:11 am

If my memory serves me...which it may not...I think it was Randymetro who posted a link last year to a condominium to be built on Navarre Beach. As I recall it was a narrow fit, tall condo. I've tried looking on the web but don't see it.

Randy if you happen by here, do you recall the link or the name of the developer?
BRBeachGirl

Tue May 01, 2007 3:51 pm

I have been spending one or two weeks every summer with my family at Navarre Beach for almost thirty years. We have rented single family homes each time. Every hurricane that occurs, owners begin to choose money over quality of life, replacing single family homes with townhomes, or worse, high rises. The number of rental houses has dwindled to a precious few on the gulf, and the cost rises every time, but as long as there is one available, that is where my family and I will be for at least two weeks each summer.

Navarre Beach is a one of a kind community that sets itself apart from Destin and Gulf Shores by its resistance to loading its beaches with high rise condos and wall to wall, make that beach to beach, bodies. One more of these atrocious, overloaded, money-grabbing high rise buildings which spoils the nature of this wonderful vacation and residential area is one too many. Shame on the zoning commission if it allows one more to be built!

I wish I could be there in person to represent those of us who call Navarre our paradise home where we wish we could live, but are grateful we can visit. I hope all those who are nearby show up to fight the blight!
We want 2 live in Navarre
Power User
Power User

Thu May 03, 2007 3:34 pm

That is a great Idea, maybe we could start a petition. I know us out of towners don't really have a say, but maybe it will make some people look at the facts instead of the dollars. :?

Red
Someday we will call Navarre Beach our Home!
lstanley

Thu May 03, 2007 7:46 pm

Take a drive down to Panama City.

That is not what we want Navarre Beach to look like.
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Thu May 03, 2007 8:49 pm

You got that right, lstanley. You could also include Okaloosa Island, and Destin in that mix.

Waiting to hear if there is a petition to sign ... we're not beach residents, but being Navarre residents, we care about our beloved beach.

EBB
jcjiii

Mon May 07, 2007 5:24 pm

Kenny,
I hate to admit that I have never been to a meeting of this type but this one really interests me. What do meetings like this involve? Does just attendance at them help or do I need to be prepared to submit a statement or what?

kathy
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue May 08, 2007 6:58 am

The Public Meeting this Thursday, May 10 at 6:00 pm may be the most important meeting regarding the future of Navarre Beach. The outcome will decide if Navarre Beach is to become another Destin. Silence from the lovers of Navarre Beach will make it easier for the Santa Rosa County Planning Board in deciding if Navarre Beach is to become another Destin. You and the readers of this forum may want to “again” review below how anybody can voice their opposition to the application for a high rise condo.

A 16 Story High Rise Condo may be coming soon

This may be the last time that you can stop an application for a high rise condo at Navarre Beach. This application will decide if the lovers of Navarre Beach want to become another Destin.

Who can oppose the application?
Anybody! Anybody includes condo owners, beach home owners, businesses, beach visitors, and any reader of this forum.

How do I oppose the application?
E-mail: Send e-mail TODAY to Shawnw@santarosa.fl.gov
Fax: Send fax TODAY to 850-983-9874
*Attend Public Meeting: Local Planning Board – Thursday, May, 10, 2007 at 6:00 pm. The meeting will be held at the Santa Rosa County Administrative Complex Center in the Commissioners Board Room at 6495 Caroline Street, Milton, FL.
*If you attend the meeting to oppose the application you should still send an e-mail or fax for the record.
Last edited by Kenny Wilder on Thu May 10, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
cshells
Power User
Power User

Tue May 08, 2007 8:09 am

We stay in the high rises but I would hate to see any more going up. The reason we are coming to Navarre this summer instead of Destin is because we are looking for a quieter less crowded beach to visit. If Navarre and P'Cola Beach keep adding high rises soon there will be no place along the panhandle for people who are looking for a quiet place to visit.

I have sent an e-mail opposing this high rise.
We want 2 live in Navarre
Power User
Power User

Tue May 08, 2007 8:23 am

1st thing I did this morning was send my apposing e-mail about how bad a decision it would be to add more condo's to the beach.

good luck.

Red
Someday we will call Navarre Beach our Home!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue May 08, 2007 8:41 am

I just sent my two paragraph letter to Shawn opposing the building of any more highrises.

I URGE ALL THOSE THAT LIVE THERE AND VISIT THERE OR HAVE VISITED THERE TO WRITE THIS "SHAWN" AND EXPRESS YOUR OPPOSITION TO THIS BUILDING "UP" OF NAVARRE BEACH.

As I told Shawn, I distinctly recall sitting in Harbor Docks restaurant on the Destin Harbor the week it opened in 1979. I was looking out the window at dunes and beautiful Gulf water. That my friends, is ancient history, never to be repeated again. There is ZERO view now from any restaurant on the harbor, unless you consider highrises and multi-million dollar homes a beautiful view. It is not only unsightly, it is heartbreaking to think that the almighty dollar replaced that view. That is what can and may very well happen to Navarre Beach unless people speak out!

My parents passed Navarre Beach on to me in the early 70's. Although I still have many years of enjoyment myself (the Good Lord willing), I am now passing it along to my daughter, who will no doubt pass it along to her children. We need to keep Navarre Beach what it is today....a relatively undeveloped Gulf community.

Remember, the vast majority do not want or need this. The ones that do.....are for the most part, doing so to pad their wallets and as is the case most of the time, they (the investors) do not even live in the area. They have no stake in it whatsoever, except their wallet! SAY NO TO HIGHRISE BUILDING IN NAVARRE BEACH.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Tue May 08, 2007 9:00 am

I'm in...opposition email sent!
EastBayBabe
Power User
Power User

Tue May 08, 2007 9:21 am

We, also, have sent an e-mail to Shawn at Santa Rosa County.

If even one new high rise is allowed to go forward, we can all kiss our beautiful beach goodbye.

We are totally opposed to it.

EBB

Return to “Navarre Beach Master Plan”