Shark Attack Surprises Kayak Fisherman

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:17 am

Shark Attack Surprises Kayak Fisherman

Posted in Kayak Fishing ~ Emailed to me from KayakDave
[ytubehd][/ytubehd]

Just as Jason Downs was about to land a 12-pound grouper, a bull shark made it a meal and angered the angler until he realized what just happened.

Kayak fisherman Jason Downs was hooked up to a 12-pound grouper off Navarre Beach on the Emerald Coast of Florida when a shark attack disrupted his dinner plans. A bull shark suddenly came up out of the water next to his kayak to attack and devour his hooked grouper, prompting a surprised Downs to react with a “Whoa!”

Downs suspected the shark first took a bite at the video’s 1:10 mark and then came back to finish off the meal moments later, leaving only the head:
Fortunately, Downs muted the video to hide his expletive-filled response to the shark attack on his catch.

“To be honest, my first reaction was anger,” Down explained in an email to GrindTV Outdoor. “The reason I muted the video after the shark took my grouper was not because I was cussing out of fear; it was because I was cussing at the shark for taking my grouper!
shark attack.

What was left of the grouper after the shark attack; screen grab from video “Grouper are one of my favorite fish to eat, and due to them being tough fighters that live near structures on the bottom that can easily break you off, getting them up in a kayak is more of a challenge than it seems! I get this grouper up ‘out of his hole’ and this shark just comes along and helps himself to MY dinner, and that made me angry."

“However, in the unedited video, you can clearly see when it sank in. I sighed and let out a, ‘Holy [expletive].’ Then as I was retying my hook you can see my hands shaking, so yeah, after my initial feeling of anger, THEN that feeling of, ‘Boy that was really close’ sank in.”
So what did Downs do next?

He dropped down another bait and hooked the same shark, which towed him around for 10 to 15 minutes before he got it close to the kayak, where he cut it loose.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Gee- whilikers! THAT was close!!!!!

AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:55 pm

This inspires me to watch some JAWS movies tonight.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
hooocker

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Awesome! What a lucky man!

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”