Updated Late March/April Fishing Report

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:33 pm

For any of you that are interested...per Half Hitch Bait & Tackle. Here is the latest fishing report.

Navarre Weekly Fishing Reports

03-31-2014

As the weather has improved so has the fishing for just about everyone except cobia fishermen on the pier. The coming week is calling for more great weather so I would expect to see a lot more improvement, and you never know we may even see our first cobia landed on the pier this week.

Inshore speckled trout and redfish have finally moved up onto the flats this week in the sound and bays. Live shrimp fished under a popping cork on the grass flats or pitched around docks with just a 1/8oz splitshot are the go to presentations right now. Artificials such as Yo-Zuri’s suspending 3D Jerk bait, 3D minnow or Mirro-Lure’s 17MR and 27MR are great bait for fishing in 2 to 3 feet of water. Rapala’s X-Rap SRX-12 or Berkley Gulp Shrimp on a 1/4oz jig head are a great presentation around for some of the larger fish laying in ambush around the 6 to 8 foot drop offs. Sheepsheads are still being targeted around deep structure in the sound and bays using live fiddler crabs and live shrimp with plenty of success and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Bull reds are in and around the Destin and Pensacola passes. 6 to 8 inch croakers and finger mullets fished on the bottom is has been the go to bait for most, but two ounce bucktails tipped with a 6 inch gulp curly tail is also a great presentation when fishing the deeper water in the passes. Flounder are also starting to make a showing in the sound and bays. Bull minnows and live shrimp slowly worked along seawalls and deeper docks has been the top live bait presentation, but working a gulp shrimp in the same areas is also producing.

On the pier and in the surf sheepshead, Spanish, pompano, redfish, and bluefish are beginning to show up in greater numbers. Fiddler crabs and live sand fleas have been the top bait for the sheepsheads with live shrimp the next best. The pompano a are also being caught on the shrimp and sand fleas meant for the sheepshead. The occasional black drum is also being landed even though not all are as big Lu Bolin’s 43.5lb he caught this Sunday of Navarre beach. Got-Cha plugs and Bubble rigs have been slaying the Spanish and blue fish on the pier and in the surf. Another great presentation is Sabiki made up of 30 or 40lb line with size 2 hooks.

Offshore cobia fever is heating up as more and more boats head out area passes in search of brawling pelagic. More and more are being sighted and landed each day and its looking like it is going to be a great season. Spanish and a few small kings have also been reported along the beach and on the near shore reefs and wrecks. Most anglers though are targeting amberjacks, red grouper, scamp, triggerfish, red porgies, and vermillion snapper on natural and artificial reefs. Just remember that the red and scamp grouper are only legal for harvest in 120 feet or less. Amberjacks are still pretty think on most of the larger artificial reefs with large live baits and jigs the top presentations.

Until next week tight lines!
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:55 am

Will be down there in a week and a half. Although I wont have our boat, I do plan on catching a few. 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:19 pm

SB....a couple of options that I am sure you are already aware of but....yak the grass flats 1/2 -1 mile west of the bridge or wade in where Kenny lives and give all those pilling's a chance. Of course, ya almost can't beat the pier, right.
kcci

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:13 am

PK: Last year I wade fished the sound side across from Bel Mer. all the way to the treatment plant (?) had great fun, but saw no "grass" How do you locate grass by wading? Maybe I needed clearer water? Will be down in 2 weeks, staying at sunset harbor for the first time. In between looking for a place to live, plan on doing a lot of fishing.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:59 am

Some of the best sea grass for monster trout and redfish is located close to the Sound at Opal Beach in the National Seashore about 4 miles from Navarre Beach. Also, lot's of sea grass at the last pavilion on the Sound at the Navarre Beach Park.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:16 am

kcci,

By far the best and most prevalent grass flats (beds) are on the North shore of the Sound. I have walked and or fished both the south and north shores of the Sound. By far, the best and most prevalent grass flats are on the north shore. Although the south shore holds some pockets as Kenny suggests. One thing we did a couple of years back was to get a Hot Spots map from Half Hitch. That map shows you exactly where the grass beds are. Granted, we also had a boat but if you are resourceful and don't mind walking or yaking you can have some great fishing without a boat. Heck, one year we even put our yaks in where Juana's is and paddled the south shore along where all the condo's are and we smoked em around all the docks and pilings.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:01 pm

The first Cobia and Kings have been caught at the pier. 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:48 pm

Really!!! When and how big?
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:21 pm

I believe it was this morning, or maybe yesterday. Half Hitch posted pictures on their FB page.
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Did some fishing in the sound from the shore and along the causeway last week. Weather was not coperating too well with all the rain and the strong north winds. Nonetheless, I did catch a few specks, a lot of small ones but was able to get some keepers. And of course, this week looks to be excellent :roll:. Lots of fish caught off the pier, and of course Jaws III last Turesday night :shock: . Can't wait to get back soon.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:38 am

Very glad you got to have some tight lines, SB. That is just a great feeling isn't it. What were you using for bait? Artificial's?
SouthernBreeze
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Yep, artificial. I tried the Yo zuri 3D jerk bait for the first time and I'm sold on it.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:21 am

Cool...never tried one but will now.

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”