Important (to me) question on fish...

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Need fishing facts in a short story, please.

What fish are biting in October?
Does bad weather affect results?
Good/bad results prior to a storm?
Good/bad results after the storm?

Equipment:
Need the name of both an inexpensive rod/reel and a pricey one.

Thanks!!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:16 pm

Linda, I don't have your answers but I know someone who will --- I'll e-mail a link to this post to him right away!

Best wishes on your story ... am looking forward to reading it!

Blessings,
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Linda
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks, AG. :D
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:09 pm

Linda wrote:Thanks, AG. :D
Guess where he is? Yep, out fishing! But he'll be in later to answer your questions ~

;)
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Sorry Linda for the delay. I have been on the road for three straight weeks, out on the Bay in Galveston Redfishing and Trout Fishing and also hunting (dove) and just have not had the time or desire to fire up this computer. I will tell you that the folks at Half Hitch Bait and Tackle in Navarre are great folks and can answer and offer you just about anything. Cheap and expensive are somewhat subjective. Just all depends on what you are going to do. If you plan on fishing for life, my suggestion is to buy something that will last a lifetime. You can get a good, solid either spinning gear setup or baitcasting setup for $200 (Rod and Reel). Of course you can go higher and obviously a Wal-Mart set up can be very inexpensive. Again, just all depends on what you want.

Fish are biting almost year round it just depends on what you are going after. Spanish and Kings are still running in the Gulf and the Redfish, Trout and Flounder are in the Sound.

Storms can help and they can hinder. Of course, the tides, especially the wind and other factors play into the catching scenario. For instance, on Saturday, we were out on Galveston Bay on a brilliantly sunny, very hot, calm day. Did not catch thing. That is not to say they cant be caught though.

Again, I would stop in to HH and let them walk you through just about every question you might have at the time. I hope this helps.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:09 am

It's not a detailed essay on fishing...just a conversation in a story but I need those specific questions answered from someone who fishes.

But thanks anyway, Pkid.
RoBear

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:45 pm

1. I have always done really good on the reds and trout in the cooler months. Being that the water isn't usually all that cold, just abouy everything should still be biting.

2. Yes and no. I fish almost exclusively out of a Kayak. Normally on a sit on Kayak, so it can get a bit cold in the winter. Quite a few winters ago, I go walking into the Eglin BX and see that they have a sit in kayaks really cheap. I talk to the Chief Financier, and she allows the transaction. I went in when they first opened the next morning and bought the kayak. When I went around back to get it, it was wrapped in plastic and COVERED in ice. I broke it out of the ice and went right to fishing in it. I had my best day of trout fishing I have ever had.

3. Depends on what kind of storm is going on. I tend to get off the water FAST when lightning is around. I was in the bay once and lighting hit and HUNDREDS of fish jumped out of the water at the same time.

4. I usually have to switch up bait/lure colors or presentations at the least.

5. Most of my rods are Shakespere Ugly Sticks and are cheaper. My favorite set up right now is a Bass Pro set up I got in San Antonio. I tend not to use real expensive stuff due to the fact that I usually fish in a tiny boat and if I get tipped over, I've likely lost most, if not all, of the stuff not floating or strapped down.

Another story of sorts. My first time fishing in the sound off of Hurlburt, I was attempting to cross to the other shore. I see a big barge waaaaay off in the distance, but doing the math in my head, I figured I could make it in plenty of time. About halfway through I realized that barge was doing the Kessel Run in less than 12 Parsecs. And they don't manuver all that well. I found out that day that I can paddle very, very quickly if need be. It hasn't been confirmed, but I'm pretty sure I set some sort of record.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:56 am

Thanks, RoBear. YOU need to be a writer! :D
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:11 am

I agree w/Linda ... RoBear, your yarn was very entertaining! :lol: :lol:
AngelGirl

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”