surf fishing in december?

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
mieletj

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:44 pm

We always visit the Florida panhandle sometime in October and have been doing so for the past 24 years making the drive from Pittsburgh. We've been from Port St Joe to Fort Morgan and all places in between and although the entire gulf coast is a thing of beauty, nothing compares to Navarre beach. However, this year with kids in college and working we will be coming down sometime mid December, now i know i wont be swimming but is it worth bringing the fishing gear down to do a little surf fishing?? or is the water too cold that time of year??
Thanks
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Mieletj,

Water will be quite chilly and frankly, the game species available during the summer, for the most part go south. Occasionally, you can land a Spanish or King but it is not like summer. If it were up to me, and it was not too chilly, I would rent a fishing kayak from the Pier and work the grass beds over on the north shore of the sound and west of the bridge. Around the docks is great as well. Redfish, Trout and Flounder abound in the Sound.
LaTJ

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:20 pm

P'kid,

Where is best place to park and put in at? I really wann try this next year.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Heck, you could put in at the park...Welcome Center and go west from there. Or put in there and paddle east of the bridge. There is plenty of grass. Just get in the water very very early before the sun comes up but while it is still light. Start out with some topwaters and move to soft plastics bounced (jigged) off the bottom. Be sure to throw around the piers and pilings. Catch guaranteed!
LaTJ

Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks P'Kid, I didnt know if acessing the sound from those areas were off limits or not. I've never fished clear water before, I'm trained in the brown tinted Louisiana water. I imagine it would be wise to cast long and keep the sun at your back. I've caught 30" reds in a pirouge and that was a blast.They will pull you all around the duck ponds here in La.

miletj,

We were in Navarre August 12-17 and the guy stayng next to us fished the surf early am and was catching 6-8 fish almost every morning. he fished from day break till around 8am. I never did ask what type of fish he was catching. The fish looked to be aroud 16"-18" long. I did recognize a few tet-dur's :lol: (catfish) he threw back.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:30 am

LaTJ,

I always thought that too...."sun at your back thing." Not so much. One of the days we slayed'em, we were in the water before the sun came up and walked the north shore of the Sound and toward the bridge...or toward the sun. We cleaned up on Trout and Redfish and even caught two Flounder.

As for the cat next to you, I suspect he was catching Skipjack (Ladyfish, Poor Man's Tarpon). Great fun to catch and you can literally throw out anything and they will bite it. Great fun to catch and release as they have no food value. Be sure to have some lengthy pliers though, as they like to get that hook deep. Long pliers, as you know allows you to get in there with minimal to no damage. I throw out bubble rigs but Pompano jigs, topwaters..if it makes a sound or moves they will bite it.

It is also great fun seeing them come in because they are feeding on the minnows at the water's edge. they make a blow up of water...can't miss'em. Occasionally, you luck out and have a Pompano or Spanish Mackerel swimming in there. Heck, I have even caught Bonita in with them.

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”