Cast Nets

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:34 am

Anyone use a cast net to fish in the area? I used to follow my Dad as he cast for mullet (waaaaay back in the day!) I know the net he had was handmade by my uncle so I was wondering if anyone local makes them?? I'd like a small one.

We spent some good times walking the Navarre sound and also the "old river" over on Perdido.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:06 am

Linda,

I am almost certain I have seen them in Half Hitch B & T there in Navarre. If for some reason they don't have them, either Gulf Breeze B & T or the big Half Hitch down in Destin will. Probably not going to catch much but mullet and catfish though. Maybe some hardtails.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:37 am

Mullet is what he always caught. Some good family fish frys!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:41 am

Yes, the Panhandle Mullet is some dandy eatin' fish. The more you move West, the nastier they are. There, they eat in less than muddy conditions. Here in Texas, that is all they eat in...muddy bottomed water. Nasty.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:59 am

Oh, thanks for the info on Half Hitch B&T.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:23 pm

My favorite place to shop! :D
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am

Ooops!! How did I double post? :oops:
Last edited by David on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
David
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:23 am

Linda,

A bit late but if you are looking for hand made nets they usually have them at Navarre Hardware, a few blocks up Hwy 87. They do not handle other tackle but have sold locally crafted nets for many years and usually have different size choices, regular nets thrown from structure, and bag nets that are used by some wade fishermen. They also have some interesting old pictures of locals, fishermen and hunters, hanging in the front area of the store.

I believe that Broxton Outdoors, another locally owned shop, south side of #98 across from Publix, also has some hand made nets from local craftsmen.

Not surprising is that many of the mullet fishermen make their own nets, have friends or relatives make them, or buy from locals. They rarely use brand made nets as you would find in many tackle shops or at Wally World There is definitely a difference in the craftsmanship and quality and how they throw even in the smaller bait nets.
David

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”