Crabbing!

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
AmyLiz

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Hello there!
My family and I are coming to Navarre Beach in July for a week-long stay. My father is really wanting to go crabbing for blue crab, something he used to do as a small boy. We already know he needs a license, and he's fairly certain he knows what equipment he needs :wink: but what we don't know is:
1. WHERE on Navarre is it ok to crab? Just on the bay side?
2. Where/how would we be allowed to leave a trap?
3. Is using a net better?

Any info at all on crabbing on Navarre would be so great. My dad hasn't been on vacation in over 5 years, so we're looking to make this a great one for him!
Thanks so much! 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:05 pm

You can crab several places. First, I have caught many under the causeway. There are a couple of places for you to park and just walk under there and throw out your net with a chicken neck in it. Big round, wire net or the kind made of thicker twine.

Or you can crab off the pier at night. Or, during the day. As for leaving them over night, I would not. Someone will see them and take them more than likely.

Make sure they are not females. Big trouble for doing that!
AmyLiz

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks so much! We will definitely look out for the females. :)
AmyLiz

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:38 am

Do you happen to know if flounder gigging is allowed at night on Navarre beach? Also, what about using a cast net in the surf to catch bait fish? Again, any info at all is MUCH appreciated! :) 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:28 am

Yes and yes! Although the Flounder right now are a bit fewer and far between. Oh...they are out there. We caught several in the Sound last week. The ones in the Gulf are very stealthy.
AmyLiz

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 am

MUCHAS GRACIAS! My dad will be so pleased. =) :D Hopefully at the end of July there will be more! He is mostly excited about crabbing though. =)
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:59 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:Yes and yes! Although the Flounder right now are a bit fewer and far between. Oh...they are out there. We caught several in the Sound last week. The ones in the Gulf are very stealthy.
Hey p'kid, are flounder found near shore all year long? I spotted several while snorkeling this past late September/early October - some the size of a dinner plate - and a local told me they were only close to shore like that around October. Just curious...
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Dolfnfan,

You can spot them anywhere and anytime. Heck, in 2007 on a bright and sunny and I mean bright and sunny, we caught some dandy Flounder right from the beach on little baby silver spoons.

I remember you saying you saw a few while snorkeling. They are very pretty out in the Gulf.

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”