FISH or SHARK ID Please! 2SEP12 SUNSET @ CROSSOVER #12

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:53 pm

Could someone please help me ID the type of large fish or shark that was jumping out of the water near Crossover #12 on the West end of Navarre Beach just before sunset? Sorry the pics are a bit grainy due to the distance from shore. I also enhanced the last pic before the "splashdown" at the end. Full resolution to help with ID:

Thanks! :)

~Jeff

~Jeff (& Jenny) at JSJ Photography (Formerly) of Navarre

Jeff at JSJ Photography's Fine Art America Gallery
Be sure to "LIKE" JSJ Photography (Formerly) of Navarre on Facebook too!
© 2012-2014 JSJ Photography
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:59 pm

Splashdown!

AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:32 am

Hmm - I'm certainly no expert by any stretch, but I counted at least 5, maybe 6 others in the water that appeared to be the same species ... plus the "face" of the one in question appeared to me to be shaped like a dolphin's "nose". It was a weird jump for a dolphin, though. Looked more like it was being pursued than doing the pursuing. Maybe David or P'Kid or one of the other fishermen will see this and can tell us something.

Great action photos!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 am

I got some great dolphin shots this morning up at East Bay. Didn't look like the kind of fish/dolphin/shark above at all.

Thanks for checking in though A.G.! :)

~Jeff
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:45 am

jennjeff1 wrote:I got some great dolphin shots this morning up at East Bay. Didn't look like the kind of fish/dolphin/shark above at all.

Thanks for checking in though A.G.! :)

~Jeff
You going to post the dolphin shots?
:?:
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:56 am

Absolutely, 100%, without a doubt,......shark. Probably a group of them feeding. Very cool. Looks like a standard Sand Shark....maybe a blacktip but that is a great picture, Jeff. You seem to be in the right place at the right time, a lot of the time. :D
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 am

According to our buddy, Wregle....there have been some rays jumping out of the water as well. I know sharks eat rays and maybe the jumping sharks were going after the rays. Maybe these little Sand Sharks have seen their bigger cousins, the Great Whites, do this jump going after seals and said...."hey, I am gonna try that!"

I have seen King Mackerel jump like this going after prey but never a shark. Now, I have seen from the Pier (this was very clear water and prior to the new pier being built) a shark that was easily 75 yards away from the Spanish I just hooked and this shark was on my Spanish in literally the blink of an eye. I have never seen anything that fast....except a Blue Angel! I have seen Kings (SkyKings) literally come through the surface like a ballistic missle...going 10-15 feet in the air. Very cool to see.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks, 'Kid, I figured you'd know, being the ol' fish rustler that you are!:wink:

A.G.
AngelGirl

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:29 am

I love sharks. I love watching them. I hate people killing them. Everything would cease in the oceans if sharks were killed off. Then everything else would follow.
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks P'Kid and yes, A.G. I will post the dolphin pics on East Bay...but maybe on WED night. Tonight is more from Saturday, 1 SEP. :)

P'Kid, what do you do if you get a shark like this:

~Jeff
~Jeff (& Jenny) at JSJ Photography (Formerly) of Navarre

Jeff at JSJ Photography's Fine Art America Gallery
Be sure to "LIKE" JSJ Photography (Formerly) of Navarre on Facebook too!
© 2012-2014 JSJ Photography
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Jeff....first off, unless these people are going to eat this shark and many do, they should NEVER gFf the shark and haul it up. it will die 100% of the time. I saw it first hand on June 23rd of this year......a three foor shark just circling and trying not to suffocate. It lost it's battle and died because some son of a bitch wanted to land a shark. They hauled it up, took a picture and then threw it back. If I had seen it I would have perhaps coldcocked the SOB. Makes me sick and very angry to se that worthless senseless act of ego.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Sorry.....that upset me and so do the, "pier trash" as I call them that do this kind of crap. Most are local youth. I have seen them and know them by sight. As for your question.....cut the line, the hook will rust out in a short period of time. If you catch a shark and gaff it, keep it and eat it.
jennjeff1
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:02 am

http://navarrebeachlife.com/forum/viewt ... 3168#53168

A.G. -- Good news! I posted the dolphin/porpoise pics on East Bay at the NBL link above before I turned in for the night.... :)

~Jeff
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:39 am

Yes, I noticed that right away! GREAT photos! We really love those beautiful creatures!

Thanks for posting the pix! You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

;)
A.G.
AngelGirl

dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:55 am

PensacolaKid wrote:Absolutely, 100%, without a doubt,......shark.
I agree. Definitely not a dolphin...the tail flukes are wrong. Dolphin's flukes are horizontal, not vertical like this specimen.

As to what kind of shark, I couldn't tell ya...
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”