Fishing Questions

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
David
Power User
Power User

Thu May 07, 2009 3:32 pm

Go back and read through the posts, I'm sure you will find some info on the sound and bays.

You can actually fish for reds and specs much the same methods as for bass with artificials. Close to shore structure remains the same, differece being you will find lots of submerged grass pads that you will fish the bald spots as you would pockets in fresh water. Fish minnows, small pin fish or grunts, same as you would minnows in fresh water. Fish live shrimp much the same as minnows or under a popping cork. Fish the shallows early and late and deeper water during heat of the day just as you would fresh water.

Wade fishing where you can walk in knee to waist deep water for miles is popular and my preferred. Amazing the way you begin to feel what the fish feels and sees since you are in the water with him rather than a boat. Mind you, there are sharks back there as well and late evening/early morn/night are not times to be in the water. Wait till the sun is above the horizon.
David
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Tue May 12, 2009 10:45 am

Drooling over the beautiful water this morning, I noticed a fisherman behind Beachview Condominiums. He had something big on the line. As he pulled it in, it looked like a turtle. He immediately released it back to the water and it swam off. I was at a distance but it looked to be a good size turtle. As I continued to scan the beach and think of reasons to leave work for a day at the beach, I noticed two large rays swimming in the shallow waters.

I have now put my back to the window and will not look out until the rain comes in.
David
Power User
Power User

Wed May 13, 2009 10:27 am

I used to never catch a turtle while fishing the beach, but last year hooked 2 and helped people release at least 3 others. They all swam away, healthy and none the worse for ware.

The turtles are another reason for controlling the trash on the beach. They will injest things like disposable diapers, plastic bags, plastic toys, and other clear or milky plastics that they might mistake for sqid or jellyfish. Then they die a slow, agonizing, death usually by suffocation.
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu May 14, 2009 7:26 am

All the more reasons why the Escambia County and Santa Rosa County, Parks and Wildlife officers need to be on the piers (undercover) and start handing out $500-1000 tickets to these lazy a**, apathetic, idiots who don't give a tinker's damn about anything or anybody except themselves and what they take home. Makes me so damn mad every time I am on the pier(s). There is ALWAYS a certain group that refuses to put their garbage where it goes, including cigarette butts by the hundreds and beer cans and especially Cigar Minnow baggies. Those are the killers and I see them flying off the pier all the time (unless I can get to them first). A severe fine is the ONLY thing that will cure these fools! Second offense I feel should be mandatory $2500 fine and third should be a month long stay in jail with a $5000 fine. Somebody please make me the king of the Counties and let me get things done!!!!!!!! I guarantee you, within a year's time I would have the cleanest, safest and most profitable County in Florida and perhaps the nation.
ToesInTheSand

Thu May 14, 2009 7:33 am

Just this AM, I picked up new trash over by our little "fishing hole" that people use by my house. We even provided people with a trash can that MOST use. This stuff wasn't there when I went by yesterday at 6pm. 3 trucks were there, ALL with BUSINESS names on them.....ha! So I KNOW who dumped the fishing trash. Fishing line, even one with a HOOK on it, a broken styro cooler, beer & soda cans laying next to the almost EMPTY trash can, and the worst (cover your eyes if you are squeamish), human waste within the area we walk in and a pile of used tissue next to it.

This is the kind of stuff that makes us all want to block he entrance to yet another good fishing hole unfortunately.........too many GOOD people use it though. What a shame.

I picked up everything but the last mentioned "item".

On the beach last time, I found 3 used diapers.....what are they thinking???
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu May 14, 2009 7:38 am

ToesInTheSand wrote:Just this AM, I picked up new trash over by our little "fishing hole" that people use by my house. We even provided people with a trash can that MOST use. This stuff wasn't there when I went by yesterday at 6pm. 3 trucks were there, ALL with BUSINESS names on them.....ha! So I KNOW who dumped the fishing trash. Fishing line, even one with a HOOK on it, a broken styro cooler, beer & soda cans laying next to the almost EMPTY trash can, and the worst (cover your eyes if you are squeamish), human waste within the area we walk in and a pile of used tissue next to it.

This is the kind of stuff that makes us all want to block he entrance to yet another good fishing hole unfortunately.........too many GOOD people use it though. What a shame.

I picked up everything but the last mentioned "item".

On the beach last time, I found 3 used diapers.....what are they thinking???
they're thinking they don't want to be bothered with hauling it to a garbage can, but it's ok if someone else does it. jerks!
David
Power User
Power User

Thu May 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Toes,

These are idiots looking to drink a bunch of beer with their buds, not true fishermen that value their spots allowed to fish or they wouldn't all fish close to the beer cooler. They only want a fish to take home to appease the wife and say, "oh yea, we had a beer or two".

Next time you are sure it's the same trucks, call the Sheriff's dept. and tell them of all the trash you got previously but especially the HUGE amount of beer cans. Tell them of your fear for the neighborhood, it's residents, it's kids, with drunk drivers about. Officers stopping them as they leave or visiting them on shore and ordering them to leave their trucks and call for a ride, picking up all trash while they wait, will, maybe, teach them a lesson, especially if they hear of the trash being the reason for the dept. being allerted, explaining to the wife would not be easy either. At least they will think twice before returning.

P'cola,

Don't think we had as much a trash problem on Navarre as others do at least while the state ran it. Of course we walked the pier often and gave them reason to keep it clean. The regulars on the pier actually would police the others. Even saw bags blown by the wind retrieved by casting to them and then trashed properly. We used to let kids earn admittance by emptying the trash cans and picking up any they saw. pier or beach. That helped as well, they policed the other kids so it did not appear they did a bad job, losing the same opportunity another day.

There is a group hitting the piers lately that are generating lots of complaint. It's not the locals, nor visitors, per se, but their fishing methods and trashing are both becoming a problem. Some rules will have to be made and enforced on our new pier. Making them leave the pier for the day comes to mind with second time meaning no more visits, period, end of arguement. Few of those and I guarantee word will get around. Trashing still calls for the sentences discussed in the other thread.
David
ToesInTheSand

Thu May 14, 2009 5:12 pm

David wrote: Next time you are sure it's the same trucks, call the Sheriff's dept. and tell them of all the trash you got previously but especially the HUGE amount of beer cans. Tell them of your fear for the neighborhood, it's residents, it's kids, with drunk drivers about. Officers stopping them as they leave or visiting them on shore and ordering them to leave their trucks and call for a ride, picking up all trash while they wait, will, maybe, teach them a lesson, especially if they hear of the trash being the reason for the dept. being allerted, explaining to the wife would not be easy either. At least they will think twice before returning.
So coincidental you mention the above advice! I just returned home from work and took the pups out for their walk. ONE particular truck was back w/empty trailer. Just then, a cop came through (I know them all) and I told him, he smiled and said NO PROBLEM. :wink:

In the back of his truck was an empty cardboard beer case for cans. tee hee. Hmm.......

You are so right, these are NOT true fishermen!!! Hunters, Fisherman, etc. respect nature & wildlife and preserving our natural resourses. The ones that do not can NOT call themselves authentic. :D
I especially appreciate the Kayak Fishermen......that truly is a sport, trying to fish from a Kayak! I must admit, I have done it, AM doing it, but I need s'more practice! :D It'll come.....

Back to litter patrol....ha!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri May 15, 2009 8:00 am

Yea, irregardless of "politics" - I think those on this forum are pretty united, and hard line, in being "anti-litterer"!
(Would going after litterers fall under "hate-crime" laws? :?: )
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
beachgirl
Power User
Power User

Fri May 15, 2009 2:00 pm

Can it be Temporary Insanity if you "lose it" and "take one out"?
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Sat May 16, 2009 2:49 pm

Toes, I know the "fishing hole" you are talking about on your mini-bayou. It used to be my project every year for the Great American Cleanup day. I know I have taken at least 20, 50 gallon bags of trash from there as well as couches and a recliner. I was really happy to see somone(you?) had put a trash can there. It's such a nice little place, I can't believe people trash it as bad as they do! But I don't understand the whole mindset of people that litter. This is a good example of locals vs. tourists littering. I'm sure there are very few tourists that could find this spot.
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Ed

Mon May 07, 2012 9:20 pm

My friend and I are coming to navarre pier this weekend and were curious to what types of fish we can expect to catch this weekend? Any ideas gang?
I LOVE Fishing!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue May 08, 2012 2:58 am

The real pros are probably all fishing, resting up from a big day or getting ready to set out for another day of fishing ... so meanwhile I'll post an article that's within 4 days of being up-to-date. Hope this helps:

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120504/SPO ... s-Phillips

Happy Fishin'!
8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Ed

Tue May 08, 2012 6:01 am

Very helpful. Thank you. :):) see yall saturday morning. :):)
I LOVE Fishing!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 am

If you need additional local info, you can always pull up all of David's posts --- there's loads of great information there, especially his fishing reports and answers to similar questions that were posted previously.

If you need any help w/navigating the forum, just send me a PM but you probably have it all figured out anyway so just thought I'd offer in a neighborly way. :wink:

Blessings,
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”