Flounder and blacktips in East river mouth (at bay start) ?

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
softbutchharley

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Just moved home to FL last year. I like the east river, it's calm and pretty break from the surf side...the fishing is DIFFERENT hahahaha ! My question to anyone familiar with east river... I'm pretty good with the reds, working on the trout,,,,I want to catch my pinfish with hook/line and the sabiki works good for the l-y's for me...
Any info on pinfish best locations ? Flounder and black tips ? The shark is a side, as I get them on the surf side often enough for my freezer... Flounder and those pinfish is what I seek most.
TY for any feedback and stay salty my friends :)
[center]The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Desmond Tutu[/center]
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:53 pm

Pin fish are abundant in the sound, little less so up the rivers. A trap set off a dock over night should provide all day bait. Keep them in a trolling bucket on the side of boat, they do not survive well with a aerator.

Florida flounder will soon begin migrating from sound, bay, and river mouths and heading to the Gulf to drop their roe. They will usually stack on the beach before heading to deep water where the pressure will help push the roe. Gulf flounder are becoming active, had one invited to dinner couple nights ago. After we have had a couple cold nights, you will find more flounder in the sound and around passes than the river mouths.

The rivers may produce more reds as they are beginning to head up river to spaun.

Small pin fish work well for flounder, as they do for trout and reds, but I have had better success with bull and tiger minnows. Gulp swimming minnows have worked good for me for the florida flounder but I prefer live bait for flounder dragged very slow around structure on a carolina rig using flouracarbon leader and circle hooks.

Have fun! Catch dinner!
David
softbutchharley

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:27 pm

David...you rock...ty very much for your feedback...........

Noted regarding the pin fish and flounder on the way to the gulf.

Also noted the bait you use and get results with with for the flounders..
TY again and be safe.......
[center]The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Desmond Tutu[/center]
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:14 am

8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”