beach fishing and pier fishing dos and donts???

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
snowman

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:27 pm

I'm sure somewhere here on the board someone has already asked this question, but here goes. Fishing from the beach shore/line where can I do it at? Is a specific type of sign that states this or am I better off fishing from the pier? To be honest I'm kinda intimidated by the pier let alone the sea. Mainly I know there's pier guidelines and I'd hate to break any fisherman's code by being rude. OK, enough of my ramblings. Thanks for your time.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:08 pm

Snowman, there is ample information on this thread. Just peruse through them when you have a chance. I will share some tips with you.

From the beach you need a FL fishing license. Half-Hitch Bait & Tackle or Walmart or even go online and get it.

The pier you do NOT need a license.

From the beach, early morning and late afternoon and especially in those little darker (deeper) troughs near the beach...Pompano hang in there. Pompano jigs, can be purchased at the pier or Half Hitch. Or get some live sand fleas with a Carolina Rig.

Pier fishing....spend 30 minutes just watching what others do. I can tell you this, most of the fishermen out at the end are going for mainly King Mackerel. These guys know what they are doing and most are willing to give advice. The older ones that is. Unless it is just plain uncrowded, until you feel comfortable going for a King and you can catch'em, I would try for the Spanish on the sides of the pier. Half-Hitch or the guys in the Pier Store can set you up. It is kinda mindless fishing but you can catch them even with little experience.

Watch the younger ones on the pier as they tend to throw their bait without seeing who or what is behind them.

Best bet...spend 30 minutes in Half-Hitch, read some of these threads. You will be fine. Heck, just being out there is a thrill.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Additionally, something really fun and non-stop....any lure you have, early in the morning almost before you see the sun, when a school comes through close to the beach (you will see them breaking the water), those more than likely are Ladyfish/Skipjack/Poor Man's Tarpon. Horrible to eat but dang fun to catch as they jump and fight like a tarpon. They will hit anything but topwaters are really fun.

Be careful of a lure called GOTCHA. Originally invented on the North Carolina coast, this this is deadly to Spanish Mackerel and to hands and fingers. It really will Getcha if you are not very very careful. It got me a few years back. Had to drive back to Houston from Galveston with it in my middle finger. Had to have it cut out.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:40 pm

http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/visitors/

Here is the link to online license info.

8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:15 am

PensacolaKid,

Very good fishing information for our visitors. Thanks!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:45 am

Thank you Kenny!

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”