blue crab in late June.

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
snowman

Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:00 pm

First off I want to say hello. I've searched many forums and I have found many mixed answers. So here are my questions:

1. My family and I will be traveling to Navarre in late June, How much would a nonresident fishing/crabbing license be?

2. From what I understand the rules are quite strict forbcrab traps, I want to purchase from a locally owned business a crab trap. Where could I purchase one that would be "water ready" and fully legal?

3.Where could I set the traps?

4. Is it still in season to trap in late June, I will be visiting around the 20th?

5. Although, not really related, what would you suggest doing while I visit? I'll be traveling with a five year old and and a two year old

Thanks again
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:33 am

I would suggest that you search the resident fish expert David's posts or perhaps PM directly. For instance, when I checked this thread, the very next thread was about where to set crab traps. Actually, this should tell you almost everything you need to know.
http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... hilit=crab

As to the 5th question, I believe there is a thread devoted to that topic that might be of help to you. "Things to do" will vary because of the ages of your children and you'll be the best judge of what you can handle. The museums are great (especially the NAS, imo) and most of them have resting areas ... but the Pier and the beach are truly the main attractions on NB! :)

Prayers for a safe and relaxing vacay!

A.G.

PS - if you need help searching the site, PM me and I'll be happy to guide you through it. 8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
David
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:57 am

Snowman,

Follow AGs prompt and you will find most all your answers. Go to fwc.com and find the license fees and purchase a license when you are ready, if purchased locally they do same for you. All traps sold locally are legal and ready to drop, you will need line. A two tier trap is more effective for traps left for a while, if space is a problem on your return trip you may want to consider a ring trap but they need to be tended more closely or risk the crabs crawling off when the bait is depleted or they get their belly full.

You can keep a female with no visible eggs but a good conservation practice is to let them go free. The female only mates once a year after they have matured. A juvy may not have matured enough and a mature one can keep sperm for a long time until she is ready to produce and will not show eggs till then. Males can mate numerous times so keeping them is no problem.

Have fun with the wee ones. There is nothing much better as a learning tool then a trip to the Gulf and hands on experience with the marine life found. Catching, then feasting on, fish and crabs that slept in the Gulf or sound the night previous just adds frosting to the experience. Good luck!
David
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:16 am

Excellent Advice David!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:35 am

Also Snowman, if I may be so bold, (I know you will) please leave it better than you found it. The place will be the better for it and so will you. There are a lot of lazy slobs out there who feel their trash, fishing line, cigarette butts, etc. are someone else's problem, so there is always something we can pick up. We have the habit now of just taking a Lawn & Leaf bag with us in our bag where ever we go and especially to the Sound or to the beach. Somehow or another, it never comes back empty.

Thanks in advance!! :D
David
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:16 am

Snowman,

Please note that I corrected the site address from fwc.com to myfwc.com on the post and the answer to your pm, just sent.

Sorry for the error, another of those AGE things! :oops: 8)
David
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Excellent Correction David! :lol:
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:27 pm

David, it's probably 'cause our brain's RAM is so full of the good, bad and often useless info we've gathered over all these years! ;)

(With apologies to snowman for hi-jacking his blue crab thread!)

8)
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
snowman

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:48 am

Yes, I intend to be clean. In fact my current home is considered a vacation spot. We run into folks throwing garbage on my family land and trashing up our waterways. I absolutely hate cleaning up after folks. I hope to make your home my families vacation spot each year. Thanks for your time and understanding
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:32 am

Thanks Snowman. I also hate cleaning up after selfish slobs. Can't stand to find cigarette butts in the sand. There are ample trash cans around but the laziness of people takes over. Fortunately there are more good responsible folks than not. Have a super time and hope you have a crab feast.
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:34 am

here's a sign for slobs who don't respect other's property!!!
Attachments
respect the beach.jpg
respect the beach.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:48 am

RIGHT ON!!!

If everyone left their area better than they found it, we would have pristine beaches every day of the year. :D

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”