Where to set crab traps around Navarre Beach?

Here is the forum about fishing at Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa Sound, East River, Yellow River, and the Blackwater River. This is where you can read and discuss David's Fishing Reports. You can discuss information about tackle, bait, tides, and tournaments. You can post you’re fishing and boating photos here.
risk

Thu May 07, 2015 9:09 am

*EDIT
Last edited by risk on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Power User
Power User

Fri May 08, 2015 6:27 am

There are times that we find large numbers of blue crabs in the surf, with a walk on the pier you can see them if there. If none seen set your traps in the sound where they will be more productive,overnight is the better idea but check them early if in a public area before someone else gets greedy. Not many things better than a batch of fresh blue crabs, corn on the cob, and some small new potatoes. Yum!

We also find a brownish speckeled. crab in the surf that has the same body featues as the blue but does not get as big. The calico also eats well but not as much meat and I don't find them as tasty as the blue. Remember, keep no females with eggs, blue or calico.
David
risk

Fri May 08, 2015 9:56 am

*EDIT
Last edited by risk on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri May 08, 2015 9:59 am

WALMART has them.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Fri May 08, 2015 10:38 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:WALMART has them.
HAHAHAHA... A 100% reliable supply for when the traps come up short.

8)
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
David
Power User
Power User

Sat May 09, 2015 8:29 am

Risk,

Be sure to get the box type traps. The hoop and pyramid folding work if you are there to.check often but if left for a long period your bait will be gone as well as the crabs and fish that helped them feast on it.

Half hitch did have a folding box type that would travel well and if memory is right the price was not too bad. All the traps seem expensive for a little chicken wire formed into a trap, probably because usually made by local craftsmen instead of mass produced.

Eat well!!!
David
risk

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:09 pm

*EDIT
Last edited by risk on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Crab in the Sound.
David
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:46 pm

Risk,

As I mentioned earlier, look for them from the pier, usually seen close to or between the bars that run fairly close to the shore. There are times that a trap dropped from the pier will produce a couple dozen in less than an hour and ones caught from the Gulf will be better tasting than those from the sound or bays, just as mullet are much better from the Gulf.

Remember to read the rules for traps dropped and unattended in public waters and not attached to a dock or pier, they do differ.

Again, if around, can usually be seen from pier. I have traps attached to docks in the sound but you can bet that one or more will be moved to the Gulf if I find crabs are around, blue or calico. A bonus is that we can also catch octopus in a trap set in the Gulf.
David
risk

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:28 pm

*EDIT
Last edited by risk on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:56 am

Risk,

Hope your crabbing has been productive. I enjoyed steamed crabs from my traps on friday, saved claws for surf & turf last night and have two very large crabs left that will make a meal today or be shucked for later crab omelets. I will re-bait traps today with hope for more crab feasts this week or to share with neighbors unable to work traps of thier own. It is great to be blessed by living where fresh seafood can be harvested without having to depend on purchase from who knows where.
David

Return to “Fishing Saltwater & Freshwater”