New Shell art idea - part 1

Here is where you can discuss your favorite books, poetry, art and music. This is where you can express yourselves by posting your own creative work.

marko

Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:11 am

Its been a few years since I made anything from the shells collected, but due to recent visit to Navarre and being "inspired" I thought I would give it go. This is kind of a redesign of a previous idea I did, though it was bit of a fail. I was happy to see it was still hanging in the carport of the beach condo we stayed at.

I used a string of LED lights to spell out "BEACH" inside the more translucent shells. Though not very bright, it was nice contrast once it was dark. Alas, the lights lasted about 2 months instead of the several years I thought it would. I did still find it aesthetically pleasing though. It weighed a ton but had some nice detail to it.

Fast forward to now, and the LED stuff has come quite along quite a ways. After replacing a fluorescent flat panel light in my kitchen with an LED flat panel, the idea struck me to do something different. I found a 1' x 2' LED flat panel and constructed a mundane frame around it and had a Plexiglas cut to fit it. It's very bright, so I put a dimmer switch inline. after I get some sealant to make it somewhat waterproof I will have my canvas.

That is where it's at. It may still be a fail. I am not sure with the brightness I will be able to spell out beach or just take a different tack. I do know if the light fails it can be easily replaced.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:04 am

Yeah, no kidding, that would weigh a TON!!! But very interesting and creative!! You are an artist! What medium did you use to stick the shells together on your "canvas"?

I've made shell wreaths using the straw type wreaths as a base (Elmer's Glue for an adherent). Even using fewer shells, the wreaths were fairly heavy too.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:07 am

Years ago, we stayed in one of the cinder-block cottages on Pensacola Beach and they had a hand-made coffee table top that was an acrylic slab embedded with seashells. It was heavy as all get-out but very beautiful. I wish I had a photo of that table ... it was awesome!
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
marko

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:01 pm

AngelGirl wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:04 am
Yeah, no kidding, that would weigh a TON!!! But very interesting and creative!! You are an artist! What medium did you use to stick the shells together on your "canvas"?

I've made shell wreaths using the straw type wreaths as a base (Elmer's Glue for an adherent). Even using fewer shells, the wreaths were fairly heavy too.
I used just a hot glue gun on the original piece. It is also heavily coated with many layers of clear enamel which helps hold it together. Some of my other pieces yellowed a lot and some pieces came off. I do have some other glue I will try called e6000 to use to glue it to the acrylic but will use hot glue on and around it because I like to press in sand and tiny shell fragments into the seams to make it more natural looking.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:52 pm

I like the convenience of the hot glue gun but have noticed that the longevity of the pieces I've used it on, isn't very good ... and it turns yellow, too. Oddly enough, have had more success with just good ol' Elmer's Glue! LOL

Keep up the creativity!! :)
AngelGirl

lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Thank you for sharing your great ideas and pictures!

Return to “Books, Poetry, Art, Music & Drama”