Yet more development on the mainland....

Here is the forum you will find lots of information, photos and discussion about the Navarre Mainland, Navarre Town Center, Heart of Navarre and Santa Rosa County. Areas included are Gulf Breeze, Pace, Milton and other communities in Santa Rosa County.

bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Developer D.R. Horton plans to build 78 townhomes on 6 acres along U.S. Highway 98 in west Navarre, but the project will require special approval from the Santa Rosa County Zoning Board.

Roughly 1,000 feet east of Edgewood Drive on the south side of 98, the new development would abut the existing Sound Retreat subdivision.

(Source Navarre Press).
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
EconProf
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Excessive development killed Panama City. It has almost killed Destin. The next target is Navarre.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:25 am

EconProf wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 pm
Excessive development killed Panama City. It has almost killed Destin. The next target is Navarre.
Yes. I think it has already killed the original place that was Destin and Navarre is being attacked hard now.

These places will be developed out of the kind of quiet places that they were a couple of decades ago into places that are designed to produce revenue and not much else. To hell with the environment, to hell with the people, to hell with what they want and think.

Have you tried to drive off the Island on a summer weekend afternoon?

The place is fast becoming a tourist dump.
EconProf
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:26 pm

If you live on the island, you can't really go on to the mainland --- neither Navarre or Pensacola -- because of the sheer congestion. I am thinking about developing a grocery delivery service. Any takers?
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Publix apparently has grocery delivery - gave me a coupon yesterday for $10 off a $35 delivery order.

re: development - it is private property - if don't want it built then we the citizens need to approve high enough taxes for the county/state to buy and preserve the property as "public". Not sure I want my taxes to be that high - and it would be very hard on those with even less income.

Also, to expand on the info - it is a 13-acre parcel - where the development is on the 6-acres closest to the highway - while about 6-acres towards the sound will be retention pond, wetlands and remain vegetated.

And I prefer residental at this location (residental adjacent - east/Sound Retreat - west-south/Lighthouse Point - and north across 98/Holley-by-the-Sea) than new commercial strip mall, storage facility, car wash, etc.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Pete wrote:
Publix apparently has grocery delivery - gave me a coupon yesterday for $10 off a $35 delivery order.
Most of the larger store chains are either doing this now or planning to introduce it or at least kerbside pickup.

My son works for H-E-B in the Central Market division here in Texas. He told me about this coming for them, well over a year ago. Wally-World does it too here.

Glad to see that NW FL is keeping up with the rest. :D
Pete wrote:
re: development - it is private property - if don't want it built then we the citizens need to approve high enough taxes for the county/state to buy and preserve the property as "public". Not sure I want my taxes to be that high - and it would be very hard on those with even less income.
If you want to preserve these things as reserves, parks, or as public spaces (or whatever), then taxpayers have to pay for them. Don't want to pay, then you don't get these spaces preserved.

Return to “Navarre Mainland and Santa Rosa County”