Garden 2020

Everything you wanted to know about Gardening but was afraid to ask.
marko

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:57 am

Pretty much got most everything in now. Onions plentiful over winter still. About 10 pepper plants dispersed between the onion/garlic, which will have room as I thin it out. Home made trellises with beans to the right and cow peas in the middle, cucumbers at the end of them. Squash seeds planted and tomato plants at the back. There some tomatoes and peppers around the pool. I bought some fabric bags for potato growing and they seem to really like it. Will get more for the sweet potatoes coming next month. Will have to followup in a couple months so you can see what it looks like.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:28 pm

That's making good use of a small urban plot! Hope it works out well.

Do you compost? and have you gardened here like this in prior years? I'm familiar w/the varied soil/weather conditions in that region so I know what a challenge it can be!
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
marko

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Yes, I compost. Mostly because I do not like spending money on dirt when I can make it better myself. been doing it longer then 10 years. It varies from year to year how successful, depending on the weather. The heat tends to kill off some stuff like the tomatoes, but the okra loves it. I share excess with neighbors and did manage to jar things like beans on occasion.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:19 pm

Oh, yes, the heat some summers bakes everything!! I mostly gardened in flower pots when we lived in our little patio home in Ft Worth so I could move them back and forth into shade or sun, depending upon what the weather was at the time. But as for edibles, I grew only herbs so that was easier!!

Looks like a good year to share ... our local farmers here are finally getting the respect they so richly deserve!!
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
marko

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:10 am

A month later.
Some inventory of what I got, including whats by the pool and in pots:

Green Onions and garlic
Tomatoes - 3 varieties
Potatoes
Peppers - at least 6 kinds from hot pequinos to sweet gypsy peppers
Squash/Zucchini
Sweet potatoes - 3 varieties
Cucumbers - 3 varieties
Thyme, Rosemary, and Sage
Pole beans - 4 kinds but lost track of which ones.
Cowpeas - 1st time for those
Okra - Trying one called Stewart's Zeebest which should be prolific once it gets going. Interesting story about it here, http://masterofhort.com/2015/05/stewart ... g-leander/. Developed by a couple in Houston back in the 80's.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:25 am

Wow ... the rosemary really loves that spot!
AngelGirl

Return to “Gardening”