Blooming Christmas Cactus

Everything you wanted to know about Gardening but was afraid to ask.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:24 pm

My last year's Christmas cactus was an under-achiever so this year I tried the "force blooming" method I'd read about online. Here's the result:
100_1732.JPG
100_1732.JPG (875.32 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 am

AngelGirl wrote:My last year's Christmas cactus was an under-achiever so this year I tried the "force blooming" method I'd read about online.
The "stick it in a dark closet" force? We have done that in the past.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:15 am

Looks like it was a success, AG. Beautiful plant/flowers!
EconProf
Power User
Power User

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Be careful. My wife has a fairy garden with two Christmas Cactus plants. The garden is in a large container that we bring inside. I moved it away from the sliding glass doors one cold night. My wife chastised me for moving it because the Christmas Cacti was blooming. My wife said that if you are not careful -- the blooms will die. The next morning the blooms started to droop. The blooms are almost gone. I am writing to you from my doghouse.
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:52 am

Beautiful AG and really the color! I have grown Christmas Cactus for years. My mom was the champion of them. She would stick one piece in dirt and year later the size you have now.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

EconProf wrote:Be careful. My wife has a fairy garden with two Christmas Cactus plants. The garden is in a large container that we bring inside. I moved it away from the sliding glass doors one cold night. My wife chastised me for moving it because the Christmas Cacti was blooming. My wife said that if you are not careful -- the blooms will die. The next morning the blooms started to droop. The blooms are almost gone. I am writing to you from my doghouse.
Aww ... well, you meant well. Mine is "blooming" down now and has dropped some of the old blooms and a few buds but it doesn't get much light ... the only place we have for it in this "downsized" (ugh .. downsizing is greatly over-rated!!) residence is a north-facing window. Not the best light for plants!!

Well, we're enjoying it while we can!

;)
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Pete wrote:
AngelGirl wrote:My last year's Christmas cactus was an under-achiever so this year I tried the "force blooming" method I'd read about online.
The "stick it in a dark closet" force? We have done that in the past.
Yep, it was a cool, dark porch closet. I almost forgot I put it in there until I went to get something out of the storage closet! LOL I got a nice surprise because it was budding like gang-busters!
AngelGirl

AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:56 pm

redchaz57 wrote:Beautiful AG and really the color! I have grown Christmas Cactus for years. My mom was the champion of them. She would stick one piece in dirt and year later the size you have now.
This color really looks "Christmas-y" to me! Sounds like your mom had the proverbial "green thumb"!! Good ... albeit, PRECIOUS ... memories!! :)
AngelGirl

AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:22 pm

Learned something new this year about the leaf cacti .. there are actually three kinds of "Christmas" (or "holiday") cactus: one blooms around Thanksgiving, thus has been dubbed the "Thanksgiving Cactus" and so on. (go figure!! LOL)

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/state ... ewsID=8570

https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/ya ... iday-cacti

I guess it's true that we're never too old to learn new things! ;)
AngelGirl

redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:33 pm

I love Christmas cacti.. they propagate similar to aloe vera (stick in dirt and promptly ignore). I had a version of the same plant for almost 25 years.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:53 am

Judging from what I've since read, my "Christmas" cactus is actually a "Thanksgiving" cactus ... something about the shape of the leaves determines which it is. This year I put her in the porch storage closet early and darn nearly forgot she was there!! So, anyway using the "forcing" method, she's blooming closer to Christmas this year ...
Christmas Cactus 2018.jpg
and, yes, those are Navarre Beach shells in the lamp beside the plant! :)
AngelGirl

gailjean
Power User
Power User

Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Just beautiful, AG!

And so are the NB shells :wink:

Thanks for sharing.
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:43 am

stunning.. i love them. they will cross "pollinate" in color..

Return to “Gardening”