Joys of gardening!

Everything you wanted to know about Gardening but was afraid to ask.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:38 pm

For me, it's watching things grow but once in a while, the "blooming" results really pay off big time! I grew these in pots on our back patio in Ft Worth! But they were from seeds I bought in FL! ;)

I grew the following from seeds, the pink hollihocks were from heirloom seed but I can't recall the source of the moonflower seeds. The blooms were as big as dinner plates, though!

Pink Hollyhock2.JPG
Pink Hollyhock2.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1706 times
Moonflower -1.JPG
Moonflower -1.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1706 times
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Angel I grew on farm. I love gardening. Your flowers are beautiful. From seed no doubt.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:06 pm

So pretty, AG.

I brought home some Althea from my Mom's house, also known as Rose of Sharon. She rooted it from a plant that was my Great Grandma's. I never knew her. Nice to have a little pretty from her gardening days.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Oh, I love Althea ... my grandfather had one in their front side-yard next to the brick storm ditch (he was a weekend gardener-- after traveling all week as a salesman for Sunshine Biscuit Company that was his hobby, tending his roses, lawn and whatever else he was growing at the time ... if he wasn't fishing, that is! Usually he'd manage to work in both activities, though!) All the kids and most of the grandkids eventually took cuttings and started new Althea bushes in their yards from Houston to Shreveport ... and maybe even to Delaware, I dunno. I've left one in every yard we've had all over the south central area except FL. Never got around to planting one in FL, though! :(

Papa D.'s althea was the deep lavender-pink variety. So beautiful!
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Linda
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:18 pm

I think it's such a warm and living remembrance of those who've gone on before us. I laugh and tell the story of the rose bush from my aunt's yard. She was one of two favorite aunts of mine. She was doing OK in bed in the backyard. I kept my eye on her from the back porch. She got plenty of water from the sprinklers. But she was not thriving. I finally moved her to the side of the house across from the window to my bedroom. She's definitely thriving! At least six blooms at a time! Her leaves are full and so green. Funny what a new location can do for a plant. But them maybe she just wanted to keep watch over me. :wink:
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Linda wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:18 pm
I think it's such a warm and living remembrance of those who've gone on before us. I laugh and tell the story of the rose bush from my aunt's yard. She was one of two favorite aunts of mine. She was doing OK in bed in the backyard. I kept my eye on her from the back porch. She got plenty of water from the sprinklers. But she was not thriving. I finally moved her to the side of the house across from the window to my bedroom. She's definitely thriving! At least six blooms at a time! Her leaves are full and so green. Funny what a new location can do for a plant. But them maybe she just wanted to keep watch over me. :wink:
Did you get any photos of Auntie's Roses this year?
AngelGirl

Linda
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:02 pm

She's done well this spring and summer! I'll post pics later. Thanks for asking.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Last of the summer roses.
Attachments
IMG_1803.jpg
IMG_1803.jpg (89.55 KiB) Viewed 698 times
IMG_1802.jpg
IMG_1802.jpg (129.64 KiB) Viewed 698 times
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 am

I love garden roses.. the petals look like velvet to touch.. :) Angel will be happy.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:48 am

Oh my goodness! That is so beautiful! My maternal grandmother aka "Mama Dear", had a bush of "trellis roses" that grew and bloomed over the arch of the front porch to their home (a classic Craftsman style of the 20's) ... and these blooms look just like the blooms on her roses. Must be an heirloom variety?? My artist aunt painted a picture of the "home place" we called the "Boarding House" because it's where everyone (friends and family) stayed when they came to town for visits.

Thanks for evoking such a wonderful memory ...AHHHH ... I'm even getting a whiff of the scent of those roses right now!! :D
AngelGirl

marko

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:22 am

Been kind of a mixed bag gardening this year. Beans and Cucumbers were very poor. I had hoped tomatoes would come back in the fall, but they never did. The deluge of rain we have been getting is knocking over my okra, which has turned out to be a good crop for here as they love the hot. Peppers are peaking now, and a lot of the tiny, very hot ones just covering the bushy plants. Winter crops are in though, a few brussel sprouts and broccoli, and a fair amount of green onions and garlic coming up.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:59 pm

marko wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:22 am
Been kind of a mixed bag gardening this year. Beans and Cucumbers were very poor. I had hoped tomatoes would come back in the fall, but they never did. The deluge of rain we have been getting is knocking over my okra, which has turned out to be a good crop for here as they love the hot. Peppers are peaking now, and a lot of the tiny, very hot ones just covering the bushy plants. Winter crops are in though, a few brussel sprouts and broccoli, and a fair amount of green onions and garlic coming up.

When it comes to growing veggies in FL, I've had zero luck. Two cherry tomato bushes did OK but nothing else.

Return to “Gardening”