More development coming to the Navarre Beach Marine Park

NAVARRE BEACH MARINE SCIENCE CENTER, NAVARRE BEACH SEA TURTLE CONSERVATION, NAVARRE BEACH MARINE SANCTUARY AND ARTIFICIAL REEFS. This is the place to post photos, videos and talk about the Navarre Beach Marine Park east of Navarre Beach Fishing Pier.
softbutchharley

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:41 pm

.......and this is the kind of thing I worry about in my Navarre neighborhood :

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TE=DEFAULT

from 6/30/2016 article --- note references to runoff and septics.....sigh..... It's such a delicate balance....growth and revenue coexisting with quality of life.........

I don't have all the answers........but I DO vote :) I will do the best I can to follow my conscience.
[center]The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Desmond Tutu[/center]
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:21 pm

UPDATE

I have had several phone conversations with Julie at Audubon Florida in Tallahassee. She is working with federal state regulatory agencies on how to stop this movement. Some of the information that she has shared with me is information that she does not want to leak this to the developer, commissioner, and news media at this time. For the time being Julie believes that the best strategy is for folks to keep signing petitions, and most importantly to continue sending emails and letters to all 5 County Commissioners.

Julie agrees that the best solution is to offer a fair market to the developer or actual owners and end this ongoing problem. Otherwise, we will be seeing this problem continuing to raise its ugly head for future years. Why the Commissioners did not take care of this decades ago is baffling.

The developer does not own the land in question, nor has he applied for any federal or state permits at this time. The permitting process can be exhaustive and time consuming process. And then there is the problem in obtaining flood insurance in the Marine Park.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Trader

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:10 pm

This is all very interesting. I have vacationed on the Gulf Coast for more than 20 years and watched first hand the bloat, ,commercialization and urban sprawl of Orange Beach and then Gulf Shores. I am glad to see Kenny and others taking an active stance and not letting the developer or the SRCC's push this project down peoples throat.

It starts with some crummy little council whose members are only members because they want to tell others what to do and funnel money to their friends who in turn spin it back to you know who. They let a developer(friend) get involved and let them bend the rules to suit their needs and you know how it ends up.

That is exactly what happened in Gulf Shores with the joke called 'The Hangout'. My family's opinion of GS is that is a pure circus run by a select few carpetbaggers. We stop going to Gulf Shores the year they built the hangout will never vacation in Gulf shores again.

Its urban sprawl on the beach. Just say NO to commercial development anywhere.
softbutchharley

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:14 am

Growth happens......a fact of life. How we act as stewards of the resources we are blessed with is up to us. As I mentioned previously the one commissioner I spoke with was pretty trite in his advise to " adhere to land use codes.." as a stewardship role regarding future development. It seems obvious to me ( but then I never saw the emperor clothed in a beautiful robe, just nekkid..) that this land use code is not working for many of us. Hence my suggestion to change it.
I am a firm believer in our democratic model of government and the citizens right and civic duty to vote and participate in this democracy.
I agree with Kenny's post that we should continue and double down in our efforts to let our voices and concerns be heard thru the process and thru our vote. "....the wisdom of Solomon..." indeed will be needed, and I intend to encourage our county leadership to exercise that and lift them up in their efforts.
Please note that ALL of Navarre and SRC are concerned, and I appreciate those who own/lease homes on the island concerns. Those of us who live on the "other side" of the bridge have a stake here as well........ and we will continue to perservere... :)
TY folks for the space on the forum here....I step down from my soap box now ;) ...ONE Love...

Desmond Tutu[/center]
softbutchharley

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Just saw this yesterday in Navarre Press...This is not a long term answer to stewardship in the future.....but it beats a high rise condo !!!! Still have to accept the effects of the marina on the Sound that I love. well.............I DO vote....and encourage all residents of SRC to let their voices be heard at the polls....

Beach Park developer considers marina By Rob Johnson on July 16, 2016
After several weeks of insisting that Santa Rosa County commissioners amend the lease on 5.7 acres in Navarre Beach Marina Park so he can build condominiums, developer Victor Deal is researching the market for a dry storage marina there instead.

“It isn’t what we want to do. A marina isn’t going to be a profitable as condominiums and it will take much longer to recover our investment,” said the Destin-based Deal in an interview on Friday.

But Deal said he and his partners are reconsidering their quest to amend the county’s 1960 lease, which allows for a three-story boat storage and repair facility.

Deal said the developers’ potential change in plans for a 134-unit condo yields to opposition from area residents who have circulated a petition that has already garnered more than 1,500 signatures.

The marina would consist of a metal building with slips for more than 100 boats in the 18-21-foot range, Deal said. There might also be a snack bar and a small store. He added that he is currently polling boat owners in Santa Rosa and Okaloosa counties to see how many potential customers there are.

Desmond Tutu[/center]
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 am

Assuming that the county can't/won't buy out the lease (e.g., we voters will not approve the taxes to fund it - e.g., include such funding in the LOST referendum?) - I still prefer high end residential over commercial development for the parcel.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
softbutchharley

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:41 am

I hear ya Pete............it's really 2 different flavors of the same poison to me......I truly wish we could develop (as a concerned block of voters) a consensus on how to move forward to avoid this and to avoid killing our environment. I have said before, I don't have all the answers.......
I guess we just stay as informed as possible. I really don't want to make a fool of myself at Commissioners meeting, so maybe I just attend and watch and listen.
Maybe developer Deal is hedging bets here in hopes of a Destin type pass is approved and built ? Who knows. Onward we go and enjoy the blessings of nature we have now and not worry about what the grandkids have to deal with eh ? I try to be positive . ONE Love................... :)

Desmond Tutu[/center]
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:32 pm

The Amendment Request has been pulled from the 7/25 Board Of County Commissioners meeting.

Reported as of 7/22; The developer has pulled the request to change the 5.7 acre commercial lease from a Marina to condos.

At first glance it looks like he has backed down. Check out the local media (Navarre Press and SSR News) for more info.

The local population (people and wildlife) might be left alone in this matter now.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH MARINE PARK”