More development coming to the Navarre Beach Marine Park

NAVARRE BEACH MARINE SCIENCE CENTER, NAVARRE BEACH SEA TURTLE CONSERVATION, NAVARRE BEACH MARINE SANCTUARY AND ARTIFICIAL REEFS. This is the place to post photos, videos and talk about the Navarre Beach Marine Park east of Navarre Beach Fishing Pier.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sat May 21, 2016 12:33 pm

This time its the more wild side of the area - five 4-story condo/apartment buildings and two 6-story condo/apartment buildings on the same side of the pier as the Marine center.

http://ssrnews.com/development-planned- ... rine-park/

What do you all think?
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat May 21, 2016 12:39 pm

This is old news! I reported on this on the Navarre Beach Master Plan Forum about 8 years ago. I have a lot to say, but I won't be able to post a message with what I know until later today.

Navarre Beach Master Plan Forum
http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... m.php?f=68
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sat May 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Kenny Wilder wrote:This is old news! I reported on this on the Navarre Beach Master Plan Forum about 8 years ago. I have a lot to say, but I won't be able to post a message with what I know until later today.

Navarre Beach Master Plan Forum
http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... m.php?f=68
Old news it may be... but if its actually going to happen...
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat May 21, 2016 5:49 pm

KWW_0144.jpg
KWW_0144.jpg (896.07 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
Photo by Kenny Wilder of the Navarre Beach Marine Park. The developer plans to remove the large sand dune in the Park, which is protected by federal and Florida regulatory agencies.

NAVARRE BEACH MARINE PARK ALERT!

Over 15 years ago a group of concerned citizens met many times to create the Navarre Beach Master Plan. The idea was to protect Navarre Beach’s fragile barrier island from over development in certain areas that needed special consideration. The Navarre Beach Marine Park is most definitely an area that needs special protection from residential and commercial development. The intent of the founding citizens of the Navarre Beach Master Plan gathered together to implement a Master Plan compatible with the coastal barrier system ( Navarre Beach is a barrier island), compatible with beach development, compatible recreation, compatible with human population and compatible with shorebird nesting areas for our black skimmers, least terns, plovers and other habitat.

I question if the Santa Rosa County Commissioners properly addressed code requirements and impacts for this proposed development in a fragile environment that includes bird nesting within the Navarre Beach Marine Park. Has the County conducted a feasibility study on such environmental impacts, and does the County have approved Permits from the federal and state regulatory agencies?

Being that I am certified as a Florida Master Naturalist I am very much opposed to this development within the Navarre Beach Marine Park because of the unfavorable impacts that it will create. Having said that I am a constitutional conservative and have no problem with limited development within Navarre Beach that is zoned for low residential and high density buildings. But this proposed development should never be allowed in the Navarre Beach Marine Park. NEVER!
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun May 22, 2016 8:23 am

The problem is that the parcel is NOT part of the Navarre Marine Park!
Yes it is completely surrounded by park - but is not, and to my knowledge never been, part of the "park".

If someone wants to buy the leasehold from the owners for market price - and then give it to the county to be added to the park - that would be great! (or if the taxpayers of SRCo authorize a tax increase to do the same!).

How and when that parcel was leased in the first place? - or how/when it was NOT "bought" back from the private leaseholder prior to the State Park? - would be an interesting/historical research project.

That all said - our laws give private citizen's property rights - and Florida is particularly protective of same. e.g., after the Kelo case (New London, Connecticut), FL passed even stronger laws against the use of eminent domain to take property rights from one private entity to give to another private entity for the "public good" (economic development) - even made it hard in FL to use eminent domain to take private property rights for public use (roads, schools, parks, etc.)

So - I have to say, that in the absence of a Santa Claus who wishes to buy out the current leaseholder - I do prefer residential development to the already currently authorized usage of building a large metal monolith dry boat storage building (see the south end of Brooks or Mid-Bay bridges in FWB/Destin - and I think there is one at the north end of Bob Sykes Bridge to P'cola Beach?) -
again - which would already be allowed!

There was also - a few years back - a proposal to for a hotel/conference center/restaurant (parking?) on the first 2-4 floors of a development there, with condos on the top couple of floors. Economy killed that one.

If this parcel is any more "fragile" than all of the other private leaseholds on Navarre Beach - it should have been addressed 10+ years ago on prior master plans/zoning maps.

I am more concerned with the proposal being discussed to take 400+ acres of what is already recreation/conservation land and "sell" it for private leaseholds/development.
More complete discussion elsewhere - but the gist is that the fee-simple title bill in congress requires that a certain percentage of the NB property be maintained as "public recreation/conservation" (public walkovers, the parks, the pier. parking, boat launch, Juana's/Sailors Grill, undeveloped wetlands, etc.) - whatever that percentage is (25-33%??) - the current holdings are 400+ acres in excess. I would like to see that stay "public" conservation/recreation - and NOT convert another 400+ acres to private leasehold development.

That is a fight that should be easily winnable - not so sure about this one?

Then a couple of post-script comments.
One - for "scale" this a a 6 acre parcel - again, more concerned about the 400+ acres at risk elsewhere on island.
Two - the article mentions "...five 4-story buildings and two 6-story buildings..." (seven in total); but the drawing only shows six residential buildings (plus a pool house?).
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun May 22, 2016 2:11 pm

The director for Audubon Northwest Florida just informed me that my article is being forwarded to the Director of Audubon Florida Headquarters in Tallahassee.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Mon May 23, 2016 6:30 am

And Kenny gets quoted in South Santa Rosa News:

http://ssrnews.com/development-planned- ... rine-park/

My 2c worth ...

... is that if nothing else and ignoring any environmental or wildlife/nature related issues is that the entire thing appears at the very least completely out of place and inappropriate. Opposite the new hotel might be a less destructive place for it, but not INSIDE the park environment.

Does anyone in Santa Rosa Govt (or for that matter Navarre Beach Leaseholders Association) not have a view that goes beyond the tax dollar potential?

There isn't any local area control over these things (no city), so it may be that the actions Kenny's posts indicate are going on are the only hope for limiting projects such as this!

... End of my 2c worth.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon May 23, 2016 7:21 am

If use of this private leasehold is "taken" from current "owner" - who is paying them the cost/damages, and how much?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon May 23, 2016 9:54 am

I think any further development of Navarre Beach SUCKS. PERIOD!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Mon May 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Today’s Article In the Navarre Press

http://navarrepress.com/local/potential ... rine-park/

In the Navarre Press article it states “Real estate taxes of $105,451.53 were recently paid on the property bringing the taxes owed to a current status.” That’s a lot of taxes for undeveloped land. I wonder if the owners were delinquent in paying their taxes over a period of many years, and if this was the case why was the property not foreclosed on by the County?
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Curdoglsu

Mon May 23, 2016 9:10 pm

Kenny Wilder wrote:Today’s Article In the Navarre Press

http://navarrepress.com/local/potential ... rine-park/

In the Navarre Press article it states “Real estate taxes of $105,451.53 were recently paid on the property bringing the taxes owed to a current status.” That’s a lot of taxes for undeveloped land. I wonder if the owners were delinquent in paying their taxes over a period of many years, and if this was the case why was the property not foreclosed on by the County?
In looking at the assessor's rolls it looks like most taxes were paid in 2014 so I guess that is "recently" in the author's mind. I would guess that the taxes were paid when the leaseholder litigation for all of Navarre beach lessees ended.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue May 24, 2016 5:55 am

Pete wrote:If use of this private leasehold is "taken" from current "owner" - who is paying them the cost/damages, and how much?
Nobody on this Forum has suggested that this property be "taken" away from this leaseholder. The main emphasis here is to persuade the County Commisioners not to change the current Zonning for a marina and storage building for boats to a proposed gigantic multiple condo complex. The County screwed up over 50 years ago when they granted a lease for this property right in the middle of a public and recreation area. Now the County has an obligation to use the wisdom of Solomon and fix this problem.
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue May 24, 2016 6:16 am

Agree - the history of this lease (in the middle of park) being ever even done would be interesting.

However, personally, I would rather see nicely landscaped and cared for residential parcel than a huge monolithic metal storage building and associated "commercial" activity - to include marina docks (live aboard?), additional boat traffic/noise, fueling, dump station, marina store, outdoor boat/trailer parking/storage, etc.?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue May 24, 2016 9:17 am

The only marina ever approved for a marina between Gulf Breeze and Fort Walton Beach on the Santa Rosa Sound is the new dock at the East River Smoke House. It's my understanding that this property was grandfathered in about 60 years ago for a marina. We should find out soon if the Smoke House adds a marina to their new dock.

Others have tried to gain approval for a marina over the past decades and they all failed because of the environmental concerns, especially the water quality, seagrass beds and other habitat. In order to be approved for a marina you would need permit(s) approval from the US Army Corps of Engineers, US Fish and Wildlife, Florida Fish and Wildlife, Florida DEP and Santa Rosa County. “Every” federal and state regulatory agency would have to sign-off by approving a permit request. I would think that the US Air Force would have to sign-off on a marina as well.

Now you know why I am in favor of the County denying the leaseholder a change of the zoning from a marina to a multi-building condo complex right in the middle of the Navarre Beach Marine Park. Now you know why nobody has been successful in building a marina on this parcel or on the Santa Rosa Sound from Gulf Breeze to Fort Walton Beach.

However, we cannot assume that a marina will never be approved for this parcel. It’s up to the County to fix this problem. The county is also obligated to be fair to the leaseholder of the parcel, too. King Solomon would come up with a viable solution. Can the County come up with a viable solution?
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Thu May 26, 2016 7:01 pm

Brian,

Remember I told you this was old news about this same property. Below is a link from this Forum in 2007 that refers to this same property in the Navarre Beach Marine Park, but in 2007 it was still the Navarre Beach State Park. The link below should bring up about a dozen interesting questions as to what is going on here.

http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... 09&p=13460
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH MARINE PARK”