Dakota

This is where you talk about pets, brag about your pet’s, and post photos of your pets. Did I say brag about your pets?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:36 pm

This is belated, over a year past, but I did want to share the passing of one of my sweet pups.

Dakota, sister to Tess - my sweet little mama's girl, also known as Miss Tail for her pretty curved tail and it's constant wagging. She was diagnosed with some type of intestinal cancer mid 2019. We opted not to do chemo for a combination of reasons: her age (11), cost, and quality of life. She also would have had to go through exploratory surgery in order for the right treatment to be prescribed. We wanted to keep her stress and suffering to a minimum.

So we controlled her symptoms with diet, steroids, and antibiotics. The vet thought she'd have less than six months, if we were lucky. She almost lasted a year, and what took her down was an unrelated tumor growing at the base of her tail. We opted not to operate on that because surgery/anesthesia can affect the intestinal tract, and we had her symptoms under good control. The vet said that tumor would only probably hasten her death by maybe a month, and that is what happened. It started growing until it split so much it was an open wound at high risk of infection. He could remove it, but would most likely have to take her tail as well. I had previously asked the vet to please tell me when he thought it was time to take care of her - I did not want her to suffer - so I asked him if it was time. He said yes. And he was right. All along she had been doing quite well - loved her walks (4 a day), affectionate though not as playful. But although she still loved her walks, she was starting to stumble. It was time.

So I brought her home, we loved on her and gave her food she had not been allowed to eat for months, then brought her back to the vet's office late afternoon. It was a very gentle process, and we were with her the whole time. I still miss her sweet face and silly tail.

I'll post some pics of her later.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:15 pm

So sorry. Still remember the day, about 20 years ago, we had to put down our (thought to be a Lasa-Poodle mix, we never really knew) family dog of 16 years.
Kidney failure and other old age. Sad to loose loyal family pets.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:13 pm

Oh, your beautiful Dakota! I remember the pix you posted before ...

viewtopic.php?f=124&t=13908

Prayers of comfort!
beautiful-single-pink-rose-lying-down-white-background-65289851.jpg
beautiful-single-pink-rose-lying-down-white-background-65289851.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 660 times
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:26 pm

Thanks, AG and Pete.

They sure do become an important part of your life.

Her littermate, Tess, is still with us and doing well. She will be 13 end of August.

Thanks for the link to my other pictures of them, AG. It was nice to see them.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:24 am

ALWAYS loved the profile picture of the two girls together. They're shape formed a heart. Hugs to you, Gail.
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:32 pm

Finally found a good picture of my sweet Dakota, shortly before she passed. She was such a good girl - I miss her so much :(
Dakota 1.jpg
Dakota 1.jpg (70.52 KiB) Viewed 348 times

Return to “Pets”