Possible hotel

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.
Going Nuts

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:46 am

Navarre Beach Hotel Eyed - an article in the March 20th Pensacola News Journal.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120320/NEW ... dyssey=tab
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:54 am

Not trying to blow a hole in this announcement by Melvin BUT the holders of that property have been saying for years that they have a wish to rebuild on thier property where the Holiday Inn once stood. This is not something new as Melvin would lead you to believe. They have also mentioned incentives in past discussions trying to make thier investment plausable. Note they were not to be reached for comment.

I thought this work shop on Monday was to be about concessions that might be allowed on the beach and the possibility of a RV park on property by the Sound to the west of the isle. Leave it to Melvin to side track the discussion looking for attention for himself or take attention from the RV park, not well received and believed to be another of his wanted projects..

Be careful of anything Melvin brings up that was not also witnessed by others.
He wants to seem enthused about anything good for the beach since he is under fire over things like the blow up slide and others. He is trying to look like he has the interest of the beach in mind but believe me, he does not. Probably does not even know this has been brought up almost yearly after the storms that destroyed the motel since his interest of the beach, being a resident of Milton, has only been since his election and researching his thoughts with those of more knowledge is not in his program.

Melvin is known to have misinterpreted other things he has envolved himself in such as saying "Eglin was definitely enthused and ready to support a pass." when in reality they were NOT and the Brass had to appear at a Commission meeting to clarify Melvin's published misunderstanding of thier comments to him, explaing they were definitely apposed because it would enterfere with thier base's long term mission. Talk about stepping on the toes of those that help feed many Navarre locals, but that is Melvin.

Just as he did with statements of the pass, he rushed to the local mullet wrapper announcing a floating slide at Mom's Beach on the Sound side of the park before he approached the right people to find out permitting would not allow such. Heaven forbid that he get the thoughts and input of the locals. Later he announces "We have run into some permitting delays", yep, you think so? We then ended up with the ugly blow up on the beach, again no input from others. He is like a bull in a china shop. He would probably favor a RV park on the property right in between the condos since he is on a mission to destroy the beach as it is, keeping it only as a playground for the north part of the County where he resides.

Personally, I hope they will eventually rebuild the motel or hotel. As they have said in the past, it would probably fly a different flag than the Holiday Inn. They have previously expressed the desire of a more upscale hotel or motel on the property. I hope the County would allow some incentives as mentioned by the other Commisioners. Someone dependable with the County, not Melvin, should approach the company to see how serious they might be about doing it soon.
David
GONEFISHING

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 pm

What about the TWO MILLION FOUR HUNDRED AND TWENTY THOUSAND BACK TAXES THEY OWE??????
David
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:13 am

Maybe Melvin should spend his time and effort trying to collect that rather than being gung ho over a slide that earned less than $3000.00 last year for the County and, mind you, the slide paid no taxes on the land they used, just a % of income as a lease amount. I understand that thier power was metered so to pay for thier use but they used connections paid for by the Chamber for the festivals. The County allowed use as though they paid for the connections. Wonder if further connections would be needed for the next festival if the existing ones are being used for County endorsed concessions?

Another question arrises about concessions of the type being looked at. I know the pier keeps seperate register readings for fees collected and all that money is accounted for but someone working out of a cash box would be impossible to keep track of. How can the County possibly monitor the income on which they would receive a percentage when much of that income is cash, possibly with no records. Something like the slide could short change the County just as they might not report income nor withholding taxes for employees "paid under the table". Melvin rides the pier unmercifally for no legitimate reason, just read the paper, even though they have recorded fee collections and are monitored by County officials. Has he done the same for the slide? Will he do it for his other pets?

I have no problems with the folks trying to make a buck with the slide if it were put on property some where else besides the beach, like somewhere on #98, or #87. I don't even think something of that height and gaudy appearance would be acceptable in the park or on the soundside of the park where they originally wanted to float one. The slide and it's participants do not need a view of our beautiful beach, no more than any fair ride would, but we and our visitors do, that is a huge part of the appeal of Navarre.

Melvin and some other Commisioners who live in the north part of the County, have no idea what the beautiful view means to those that love the beach as we do, the very reason most owners on the beach invested or moved here, the reason most vacationers come to visit Navarre, the reason many walk the pier.

Personally, I have never understood the "we need more for the kids to do". Really!!! Why do ya come to the beach?? Go to a county fair if ya want rides. The beach offers swimming, surfing, kayaking, fishing, sun bathing, playing in the sand, shell collecting, walks on the pier, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, not even to mention activities offered by the sound. The beach is one of the greastest entertainment (and educational) tools offered and ya want to take the kids to a ride?? Why come to the beach at all??

Go ahead Commisioners mess with the view, ambiance, and Mother Nature! See if you like the drop in income, see if you like more businesses closeing for lack of traffic. Go ahead, mess it up for a very small short term rise in revenue with no thought of long term conciquences! Remember, in today's economy, a lot less would be spent going to a local fair for rides. Go ahead, ride Melvin's Road to Navarre Beach's destruction! Go ahead, bite the hand that feeds ya!
David
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:27 am

Tell it like it is David !
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Personally, I have never understood the "we need more for the kids to do". Really!!! Why do ya come to the beach?? Go to a county fair if ya want rides. The beach offers swimming, surfing, kayaking, fishing, sun bathing, playing in the sand, shell collecting, walks on the pier, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, not even to mention activities offered by the sound. The beach is one of the greastest entertainment (and educational) tools offered and ya want to take the kids to a ride?? Why come to the beach at all??

So true David!!!!

AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:11 pm

lvthebch wrote:Personally, I have never understood the "we need more for the kids to do". Really!!! Why do ya come to the beach?? Go to a county fair if ya want rides. The beach offers swimming, surfing, kayaking, fishing, sun bathing, playing in the sand, shell collecting, walks on the pier, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, not even to mention activities offered by the sound. The beach is one of the greatest entertainment (and educational) tools offered and ya want to take the kids to a ride?? Why come to the beach at all??

So true David!!!!
Amen, lvthebch ... I hearken back to my own childhood in Southern California when our favorite beaches were ones where no "civilization" had hit them yet! Lots of stuff for kids to do and not "canned" entertainment they can get almost anywhere else! Those were cherished memories for my brothers and me. Dad knew all kinds of things about the critters we encountered and made it educational for us as well as enjoyable.

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 pm

I love it when someone puts into words what I am thinking and David said it perfectly don't ya think? A. G. and I give you two thumbs up David!

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:02 am

The Gospel Truth, lvthebch. I am already sick to death of hearing this crapola about having more for the kids to do. Like you said and I am preaching to those parents out there right now, reading this and thinking..."yes, Navarre Beach needs more kid's activities."

Got news for ya....make your travel plans for Destin, Panama City Beach. They have all the kid's activities you could possible want....human sling shots, pendulum rides, carnival rides, parasailing, jet skiing, putt putt, go carts, helicopter rides, water parks....all your heart's desire. LEAVE NAVARRE BEACH ALONE.

My gosh...I have been coming to Navarre Beach since 1970 and back then they did not even have TV's in the, "cottages." Guess what.....we spent the whole day in the water, snorkeling, finding shells, building sand castles, catching crabs, fishing, flying kites, watching for dolphins and a host of other things that cost nothing and are so much more than the stuff above.

SO, IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE PARENTS LOOKING FOR THINGS TO AMUSE YOUR CHILD(REN) DURING A BEACH STAY........MAKE YOUR PLANS FOR DESTIN OR PANAMA CITY BEACH. THOSE PLACES ARE WAY MORE UP YOUR ALLEY!
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:40 am

Thanks guys for the "thumbs up".

Maybe part of the problem with some people "looking for more for the kids to do" is that they do not have the same memories that we do, memories of families doing and playing together instead of having something to farm the kids out to while they (the family) go seperate ways.

As AG said:
"Those were cherished memories for my brothers and me. Dad knew all kinds of things about the critters we encountered and made it educational for us as well as enjoyable."

Parents should take the time to learn things of the beach such as the sea turtles, star fish, fish, crabs (blue, hermit, calico, mole, horseshoe, fidler, etc.) , tidal pond life, sea birds, porposes, shark, etc.,etc.,etc., etc.. They could, then, spend time with the kids through a learning process for both parent and child. They, then, would not have the time, nor the desire, to search out rides, games, movies, skate rinks, etc. for the kids to do. They (the kids), then, would have fond memories to pass on to the grandkids.

Rides, movies, etc. are things to do at home. Family vacations are a time for the family to explore new things together, re-bond, go home with stories to tell to friends. Not much of a story (memory) to tell of the ugly plastic slide, bubble ride, or the latest movie that your friends probably experienced while staying home.
David
Kayak Dave
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:17 am

David's post reads like a promotion for the Seagrass Celebration festival this Sat. Most of what David mentioned will be covered and is targeted to parents and children, learning about our natural aquatic world and having fun doing it. And there is a gumbo cook-off going on at the same time/place at Shoreline Park South in Gulf Breeze 10-3.
See area events post http://navarrebeachlife.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6994
Learning-FUN and FOOD what a great combo. Quality Time !
KayakDave
850-313-9158
Navarre Beach Kayaks
Kayak Eco Tours
http://www.NavarreBeachKayaks.com
Info@NavarreBeachKayaks.com
David
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:00 am

I'm glad you keep up KD! 8) :wink:
David
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:34 am

I did not know that the potential new Hotel on Navarre Beach will be constructed by the owners of the Margaritaville Hotel on Pensacola Beach as well as the Crowne Plaza in downtown Pensacola.

Wonder if ol Jimmy Buffet will have anything to say about it?
Linda
Power User
Power User

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:01 am

Would love to see that stretch of beach remain open without any buildings. It's a nice area with access from two walkovers. Nice to have that much "sanctuary" among the buildings.

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”