What Would You Like to See Come to Navarre Beach

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.

Do you want to see commercial growth

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 24
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:48 am

Locals especially but visitors as well.....Question for you

What would you like to see, come to Navarre/Navarre Beach? If anything? What does N/NB need or want and WHY?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:00 am

I would like to see a shrimp boil/crab boil/crawfish boil delivery service with beach delivery. If I lived there, I would start that business. Similar to pizza delivery, people call in from house, condo or beach and want a shrimp/crab/crawfish boil-party without the mess and aggrevation. Be it a single lunch or a party for several or even available for pick-up. Beach drinks would also be available.....a mixture of Nawlins' and Cancun, all on Navarre Beach. The Beach Monkey, Juana's, even Sandy Bottoms could offer it!
Bikergirl80

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 am

That sounds great PK!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:29 am

One thing I absolutely do NOT want to see come to Navarre/Navarre Beach and that is the national chains like....Chili's, Applebee's, Roadhouse, INTERNATIONAL HOUSE OF PANCAKES, etc. Not only is it not quality food, they are an eyesore. Local eateries are the best
Bikergirl80

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:09 am

Most of my fav places is some hole in the wall type place. I love anything local!
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:16 am

(1) A quality hotel to be built on the old Holiday Inn property.
(2) A quality 2 story strip mall type facility across from the Holiday Inn property. Offering a variety of services to tourists and locals.
(3) A kite store, surf shop and dive shop combined on NB. Not on the mainland.
(4) A quality bandstand for concerts during the summer in the SRC 116 acre park. Close the concerts on the busy HWY 98 park and move those activities to the beach.
(5) A childrens area soundside in the SRC park with slides, swings, beach area and fun things for the kids.
(6) A limited stay RV park soundside in the SRC park.
(7) Quit building strip malls along congested HWY 98 and blocking the beatiful view of Santa Rosa Island and the beautiful view of NB.
(8 Antique and classic car shows and specialty events on NB not on congested HWY 98.
Tracy210T

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:29 am

Im local.. id like to see NOTHING on NB but dunes honestly.. I cringe driving through Destin and seeing how busy/ expensive/ congested it is, UGH! Never want that..

In Navarre.. oh id love to see a Target go up, a Krystal :lol: and something for all of the kids.. a bowling alley/ arcade/ skating rink would be great..the kids complain all the time that theres nothing really to do here..
... just dreamin' of the beach, as usual...
Tracy210T

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30 am

Navarrebeacher wrote:(1) A quality hotel to be built on the old Holiday Inn property.
(2) A quality 2 story strip mall type facility across from the Holiday Inn property. Offering a variety of services to tourists and locals.
(3) A kite store, surf shop and dive shop combined on NB. Not on the mainland.
(4) A quality bandstand for concerts during the summer in the SRC 116 acre park. Close the concerts on the busy HWY 98 park and move those activities to the beach.
(5) A childrens area soundside in the SRC park with slides, swings, beach area and fun things for the kids.
(6) A limited stay RV park soundside in the SRC park.
(7) Quit building strip malls along congested HWY 98 and blocking the beatiful view of Santa Rosa Island and the beautiful view of NB.
(8 Antique and classic car shows and specialty events on NB not on congested HWY 98.
Have you been to the kids park there on 98 / causeway? Its awesome!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:56 am

Tracy,

I am with you on the, "I would like to see NOTHING on NB but dunes. You probably are not old enough to remember but down in Destin on the Harbor where all the restaurants are, back in the late 70's you could sit in Harbor Docks and look out to the Gulf and see nothing but gigantic sand dunes. Been at any of the restaurants lately and gandered out that way. Disgusting and most of those condos are and have been empty for decades!

I don't have a problem with businesses going up on the mainland but I would like to see the beach area limited at best! Again, I think that is what makes Navarre Beach what it is!
Tracy210T

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:58 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:Tracy,

I am with you on the, "I would like to see NOTHING on NB but dunes. You probably are not old enough to remember but down in Destin on the Harbor where all the restaurants are, back in the late 70's you could sit in Harbor Docks and look out to the Gulf and see nothing but gigantic sand dunes. Been at any of the restaurants lately and gandered out that way. Disgusting and most of those condos are and have been empty for decades!

I don't have a problem with businesses going up on the mainland but I would like to see the beach area limited at best! Again, I think that is what makes Navarre Beach what it is!

Exactly- couldnt have said it better myself! I HATE Destin..
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:04 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:Tracy,

Well, I'm sure as heck old enough to remember :wink: and it was an AWESOME sight for sure! Wish I had pictures of that view to post here!

A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Tracy. Did that with the grandkids in that playground. The 98 park is great but we have a lot of space for improvemets in the NB park. I also have attended the concerts and fun fest in that park. My concern is that we are not utilizing the 116 acre SRC park on NB very well and we are all paying for its upkeep and manintenance. Plus when they have functions in the bridge park traffic is backed up for miles on HWY 98, parking is limited and crossing the HWY is hazardous to all.

We are not going to turn back the clock and wipe out all development on NB. That is a given. My goal is to follow the NB Master Plan for development. That includes not overbuilding, sticking to the plan and better utilizing the great potential on the beach.
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Another item to the want to see /do list.
(9) Navarre Chamber of Commerce and the Tourist Development folks team up and have Christmas on NB this year.
Encourage the High rise Condo's to decorate in a themed lighting that is beautiful and visible from mainside.
Have the Christmas Parade on the Beach and culminate in the pier area with a Christmas concert, condo decoration lighting, Santa arrival and Christmas tree lighting.
Encourage locals and snowbirds to come to NB and have a festive holiday good time. Start a Christmas tradition for the off season much like Mardi Gras which is an annual sucess on NB.
Fill up the empty condo's and make Christmas on NB a holiday off season attraction that folks will want to come to see every year.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:45 am

AG......I used to have plenty of pictures of that view from the top of the Harbor looking out to the Gulf. Wish I knew where they were! I remember eating oysters and drinking beer with the buddies there at Harbor Docks (this was 1979 mind you), looking out and saying, I bet the Wright Brothers could have flown off those dunes. That is how big they were. Then the almighty dollar came in and ruined it for everyone.

We also spent considerable time at (and most people won't recognize this) the, revolving restaurant atop the Quality Inn in Destin. I believe it was bought by Holiday Inn. It revolved once every hour and it was right on the beach. It was called .....Hawaiki Restaurant and Island Girl Lounge. I still have a book of matches from the place. This was long before any Big Kahuna or really much of anything there in Destin.
Shell Seeker

Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 pm

:lol: ME, Id like to see ME come to Navarre Beach :lol:
I will even bring my little beauty shop if I can come there and stay!!!

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”