Navarre Beach and Jaws 2

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:38 pm

LilFeat wrote:I've read many comments about the Holiday Inn and the memories it helped create. However, it was gone by the time we started coming around. Where exactly was it located?
LilFeat - the Holiday Inn was located where I've marked the spot in orange letters:

Here's an old photo I found on the internet. It "pixilated" when I tried to enlarge it ... but this gives you an idea!

:-)
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
LilFeat

Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:55 am

Thanks for the photos AG. Mrs. Feat always said I was a visual kind of guy so the pictures are worth thousand words to me!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:55 am

AG - looking at your aerial photo - I beleive that just to the right of where you lettered "H.I." - IS the old Holiday Inn! Photo must be pre-Ivan.
I do recall vacant land (where "H.I." lettered) to the west of the Holiday Inn when it was there.
Toes - very neat about the birds.
Green Bay? - only if not playing the Vikings!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
ToesInTheSand

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:27 am

Yes Pete....born and bred a Cheesehead...... :D GO PACKERS!!!! :P

The vacant land just West of where the HI used to be is also owned by the same people who own the HI land. (same ppl. as The Dunes-turned HI Express, HI P-Beach-turned--Indigo Hotel to come, Crowne Plaza P-Cola)

I had also worked in Mgt. at what is now the Crowne Plaza Pensacola Grand when I 1st moved here for 4 years. I very much doubt they will build another HI on Navarre Beach, as they are more interested in just "selling Rooms" than getting into the F&B Biz which accompanies a true Holiday Inn. I can see them going the route of a Holiday Inn Express, unless they find another franchise that's less expensive for them.

NB does NEED a hotel!!! But I think the days of a "family-friendly" affordable hotel are over out there. If anything DOES go up that provides more guest services, it will be more of an all-inclusive resort type property, condo-like. JMHO of course, but I know how they think. :lol:

I don't see them selling off the land in the near future, seeing as the market sux, but you never know. If something happens with the plans on the East side of NB as far as a proposed Marina and Convention center (Kenny, correct me on the specifics.....) then maybe they that land value will shoot up and they'll sell. It's been in the family for years and years.........they'll probably hang onto it and see how Indigo does on Pensacola Beach.

Indigo, btw, is a very nice hotel...another Inter-Continental Chain, brand new concept.

I wouldn't mind seeing one of those on NB, although that may be within the "territory" of not being able to have another one so close to each other.

Remember, these are just my OPINIONS, I do not have any direct info on what they're doing or planning to do, haven't talked to anyone in quite some time.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:55 am

Pete, you're right about the building to the right (east) of the empty lot, it is a pre-Ivan aerial shot of the Holiday Inn. I just checked it online with CB4GO (Aerial Angel) and that indeed was a pre-Ivan photo ...

Thanks!
A.G.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
SunburnOnMyNose

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:52 am

ToesInTheSand wrote: I worked that tiny little bar next to the pool and really loved it! "Regulars" came in and always had the FIVE bar stools and tables filled....ha! FIVE! And I think I was the only bartender that loved to make all the non-alcoholic drinks for the parents who got them for their kids. Loved to "fancy them up". Met alot of interesting people!

Toes... man that brings back memories. We had a big group one year staying at Sugar Beach (I think) with about 25 kids in our group. I must've bought 150 virgin pina colodas that week at the Holiday Inn. I would buy like 12 at a time. Whoever was working there (it may have been you) was great to us. I didn't mind walking down and shelling out the cash - the kids absolutely loved it .and it allowed me to sneak in a not-so-virgin beverage of my own (or two). The kids kept my secret all week.
ToesInTheSand

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:02 pm

I remember So many Mom's & Dads coming in buying LARGE quantities of those frozen drinks.......and then Mom or Dad, after distributing the kiddie drinks around, coming back in and asking me to "top off" their frozen concoctions with some "octane". Sneaky sneaky! :D :D
It probably WAS me, and no disrespect at ALL to my fellow bartenders there, but EVERYONE else HATED making kiddie drinks!!! They complained about it ALL the time! I thought it was fun, maybe I relate better on a "child-like" level! :lol: Plus, they don't get drunk and are easier to deal with.

I think no one else liked it because they didn't get the big tips that way, although I never had that problem...I mean, if you are NICE to people.......well...DUH! Many of my biggest tips (salary, basically) were from the parents........they were SO happy to get the kids DISTRACTED! Plus, I kept puzzle games behind the bar for such occasions as well! (Give me your kid! I'll shut 'em up!) ha ha ha ha! Also, they got a pretty good sugar buzz (it's VACATION!) and then they would crash out earlier later on and Mom & Dad would come back to the bar for themselves. :wink:

Does anyone remember our HUGE Christmas Tree we put up every year in the Holidome??? Amazing!!!!!
popsb

Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:09 pm

I do believe the photo is POST Ivan as it does not show the Holiday Inn. I visited the HI gift store the day before Ivan and purchased a few trinkets as the store was being prepared for Ivan...such a beautiful family oriented facility!!!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:13 pm

They also at one time had a dandy seafood buffet on Friday and Saturday nights!
ToesInTheSand

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:43 pm

popsb wrote:I do believe the photo is POST Ivan as it does not show the Holiday Inn. I visited the HI gift store the day before Ivan and purchased a few trinkets as the store was being prepared for Ivan...such a beautiful family oriented facility!!!
Sorry...nope! :D That's the HI building in the pic, there was always the big empty lot right to the west of the hotel. You can see the details of the building in the photo.....the separation of the Holidome from the rest of the hotel. The 3 story SW portion of the hotel compared to the 2 story section that housed the rooms on the East side.
Definately pre-Ivan.
ToesInTheSand

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:47 pm

....you can also see the west side parking lot along the 3-story rooms, and then it juts off a bit to the west more towards the north of the parking lot.....that's where the dumpters were located, and trust me......I WORKED THERE, I had to dump garbage every day for 3 years.......ha ha ha, I would know that in a photo! :lol: Some things you never forget. :wink:
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:30 am

we enjoyed visiting the holiday inn, even tho we weren't staying there (shhhh! don't tell).

i never realized until after we had been there (and to NB) that it was the place my cousin got permanently injured when the scaffolding he was on collapsed - he was a painter. :cry:
JRA2000TL

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:32 pm

ToesInTheSand wrote:Although I didn't work there during the "heyday", I did enjoy my time there before Ivan. I think I started working there in the spring of '01, up until Sept. 13th, 2004....the night we evacuated the hotel. (part-time bartender there)

I worked that tiny little bar next to the pool and really loved it! "Regulars" came in and always had the FIVE bar stools and tables filled....ha! FIVE! And I think I was the only bartender that loved to make all the non-alcoholic drinks for the parents who got them for their kids. Loved to "fancy them up". Met alot of interesting people!

Funny this topic came up as I was unpacking more of my things yesterday and came across my "Holiday Inn" box, full of t-shirts and memorabilia from all of our "Jaws 2" parties we had there. And a photo of myself with my SHARK outfit on! Good grief!
:lol:

That hotel was a beauty back in the day.........
Just checking back in; haven't been on in awhile but I ran across this post. I bet Toes served me my very first alcoholic beverage on my 21st b'day at the Oasis bar. That'd be 12/17/02. I ordered a strawberry daquiri of all things.

The hotel sparked my mind after watching Jaws 2 yesterday and seeing the Holidome! I didn't know that much of it was filmed there. I miss that place so bad, especially after watching that movie. It was neat to see how the place looked before I was born, but really it was exactly the same except the room doors were brown back then.

I really wish they could have done something with the hotel to keep from tearing it down. I think the Holiday Inn was my favorite place to go in the whole world. I had many fun beach weekends there, and it was so convenient just coming from Mobile. I spent many birthday weekends there in chilly December. I loved it because I had the place to myself and it was just the locals, a few snowbirds and myself (and family/friends). I do remember the beautiful Christmas tree in the Holidome. I started going there in 91 and my last stay there was spring break 03 or 04. I'd go in the spring/summer a few times, but it was just so crowded!

I even got a few $39 rooms there in the off-season back when I worked for Holiday Inn in college. Those were the good old days. I loved the place and will remember and cherish it forever.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:19 pm

I am watching on TV tonight the Oscar Academy Awards. Have you noticed that at several times during the show the movie soundtrack of JAWS was played.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
MicheleG

Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:54 pm

We made the trip down to Navarre from Milton while they were filming to see Bruce. They had him set up in a cage for folks to see. I can remember as a young girl seeing Roy Scheider sun bathing in a black speedo. My mom gave me the back of her checkbook to get him to autograph. I have never forgotten that summer!

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”