SpringHill Suites coming to Navarre Beach

Photos and Discussion of the old Navarre Beach Holiday Inn Hotel, and planned construction of another Hotel planned for the existing site destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 2004 and Hurricane Dennis on 2005. Info about the 1978 movie Jaws 2, which much of the film was filmed at Navarre Beach in the 1970’s. The actors and crew used the old Holiday Inn as their headquarters.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:17 pm

SpringHill Suites coming to Navarre Beach

Kaycee Lagarde, pnj.com
12:11 p.m. CDT June 2, 2015
http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/nav ... /28356865/
SpringHill-Suites-Navarre-Beach-Florida.jpg
SpringHill-Suites-Navarre-Beach-Florida.jpg (30.59 KiB) Viewed 7652 times
After more than 10 years without a hotel on Navarre Beach, construction will soon begin on a $30 million, 161-room development to replace the Holiday Inn destroyed during Hurricane Ivan.

The hotel has been confirmed as a Mariott SpringHill Suites, with indoor and outdoor pools, a lazy river, more than 3,000 square feet of meeting and event space and a full-service restaurant.

According to plans submitted to Santa Rosa County, construction on the seven-story building is expected to begin June 15, coming after the county commission granted the project a six-month extension on Jan. 22.

Construction should take about 15 months from groundbreaking, said Casey Bobe, project manager for Holi Corp. and its corporate office, American Fidelity Life Insurance Company.

AMFI also owns the Crowne Plaza in downtown Pensacola and the Margaritaville Beach Hotel, Holiday Inn Express and SpringHill Suites on Pensacola Beach through various subsidiary companies.

The SpringHill Suites is expected to create about 75 new jobs with an annual payroll of $1.6 to $1.8 million, according to the general manager.
Typical-Room-SpringHill Suites.jpg
Typical-Room-SpringHill Suites.jpg (28.65 KiB) Viewed 7652 times
Though the Navarre Beach hotel will be similar to the 117-room SpringHill on Pensacola Beach, Bobe said it will offer extra amenities such as the pool and lazy river, along with the 44 additional rooms.

AMFI also owns the Crowne Plaza in downtown Pensacola and the Margaritaville Beach Hotel, Holiday Inn Express and SpringHill Suites on Pensacola Beach through various subsidiary companies.

The SpringHill Suites is expected to create about 75 new jobs with an annual payroll of $1.6 to $1.8 million, according to the general manager.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Great news for NB --- however, we will miss the lower-profile, beach-friendly look of the old Holiday Inn style, though!
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Il Pazzo

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:37 am

Hello,
I was wondering where the new hotel will be located on Navarre Beach?
Dave
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:20 am

Il Pazzo wrote:Hello,
I was wondering where the new hotel will be located on Navarre Beach?
Dave
Dave, as the title of the discussion indicates, it will be in the same location as the old Holiday Inn site (just a bit east of Navarre Towers) ;)

Here's a link to a photo of the H.I., looking east from the Navarre Towers parking lot:

http://www.navarrebeachlife.com/forums/ ... 123&t=8563

Click on the photo to view an enlargement. Of course, that building was completely razed a few years ago so it's a vacant lot now. You might can find it on Google Earth using that address if you're curious about how it looks now.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Well, I guess that could be a good thing for the ol Kid. I am a Platinum Member of Marriott and those points will no doubt provide stays for me throughout the year. Hey, it's a perk for being away from home 3/4 of the year :shock: :o

I stay in Springhill Suites many times a year and I do like the hotel, although it is not my favorite Marriott concept. Courtyard would be my favorite. I am also a Hilton Garden Inn fan. Just left from a two day stay in the beautiful city of Nashville.

Glad they are finally starting the process. I am not sure though that any concept other than a complete repeat of the old original would or could take the place of the old Holiday Inn.....with the old , original Holiday Inn sign with personal messages on the marquis.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:26 am

I am guessing here but based on Pensacola Beach and other properties around the country, I suspect the rates at this SpringHill Suites will range anywhere from $179 - $259 per night with some periods even higher than that. Although there are certainly some positives to staying in a hotel during a vacation, for that kind of money, especially during the summer season, my suggestion would be to just rent a property. At least you would have a kitchen, right. 2-3 day'er, might not be a bad place to set up.

Wouldn't it be nice for the SHS to have a marquis in which messages can be displayed.

Most SHS do not have a full service restaurant. I am wondering if this one will?
Sandstomper

Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:32 am

I know that things move forward, but I realized even more last night that at 56, I'm an old fart. I visited a new restaurant in our neighborhood and it was skewed toward and filled with millenials. So in my old fartiness, wouldn't it be a nice change of pace to see a retro rebuild of the old Holiday Inn. Complete with Holidome and signage and a similar layout.

Probably wouldn't appeal to the millenial crowd, but that might not be a bad thing, as we old farts could hang out and reminisce about the "good ol days!"

Whew, starting to sound like my late grandfather :D
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:10 pm

According to the June 4 edition of the Navarre Press SpringHill Suites in Pensacola Beach summer rates range from $269 per night to $350 a night for Gulf view.

PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks Lvthebch. That is indeed pricey and people will pack that hotel paying those rates.

Sandstomper...I too am 56 and I too would adore seeing the ol place return. No chance of that though. Perhaps though, just maybe, the new GM's, Managers, owners, know there are very fond memories of the old Holiday Inn and as you say, companies pander to the Millennials today but maybe they will inject some of the old as well???? :)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:59 am

Well, you did not actually say they "companie pander" to Millennials but they do. I teach them every single week, work with them and frankly understand them, as difficult as that is sometimes.
Sandstomper

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:04 am

P'Kid, maybe at the least they could dedicate a wall to some vintage photos of the old hotel. Hmmm, I wonder if that World Renowned Famous Navarre Photographer might have some photos that he could offer to sell the owners?????
Life is too short to shave with a dull razor!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:26 pm

If my memory serves me correctly, I am not sure Kenny & Dale Wilder were in the Navarre area when the Holiday Inn was in it's prime back in the 70's. Almost certain they were not. I did some intensive investigation a few years back and tried to track down anyone that could provide any word, pictures, stories, etc., of the Holiday Inn and I did manage to speak with a, "manager." In fact, I think she responded on the Forum a time or two but with all the hours I put into it, I did not find anyone with definitive information. Oh, a picture or two remains and there are old stories and recollections but I surely wish a formal document existed.
CrazyB

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:27 pm

PK,,,according to Kenny's first post at the top of the page, they will have a full service restaurant. I'm happy to be blessed enough not to ever stay in a hotel in Navarre, no matter what the rates,,LOL,,I know there's noway that I would ever pay the rates you posted when I know I can stay in one of the 2 or 3 bedroom condo's for a much lesser rate!! I've never paid more than 180 dollars a night to stay in a condo at Navarre Beach, even in the summer. When I'm blessed to stay for a month in September, I can usually get a rate as low as 60 to 80 dollars a night. The key is to find the ones that are rented "by owner" so that you can personally negotiate a cheaper rate.
Kimberly Navarre
Jeremiah 29:11 ~~~For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.~~~
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:58 am

Hey I'm with ya, CrazyB. I will never pay those rates either.....anywhere! Something about paying $300 bucks for 7-10 hours to sleep and shower rubs me the wrong way. Oh well, to each his/her own. I am sure the hotel will be chocked full every single day of the summer. There are a ton of people who do not see the picture as we see it and if they want to drop that kind a dough, I am sure the front desk staff will gladly take it. I hope the hotel is a swimming success.
dolfnfan
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:37 am

Saw the bulldozers moving at the site yesterday. Looks like it really is gonna happen.
Sleep late, drive fast and don't take anything seriously...

Return to “Navarre Beach Hotel Planned At the Old Holiday Inn Property”