New Navarre welcome sign and Navarre Press....

This is the place to post your information and opinions about Incorporating Navarre Beach and the Navarre Mainland as a City.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:48 am

I'm putting this post in here as I suspect it crosses several topic areas with this one springing to mind the most - Incorporation for Navarre (see my last couple of sentences). I won't copy the full text in here, but the pictures posted on the Navarre Press Facebook album say it all.

Go look - it's this week's editorial piece too.

= = = =

Navarre Press has posted a critical review of the new "Welcome to Navarre" sign that is along 87. More accurately, it's not the sign that is the problem, quite the opposite as the sign is the "usual" yellow and blue, very beautiful water-and-beach-feel design; it's where the sign is that they don't like.

I agree that the placement of the sign seems wrong. It doesn't seem as far as I can recall to be where the boundaries of Navarre are or would be if incorporated (does someone know if it is close to where the boundaries of a City of Navarre would be?) nor do I feel that it is placed somewhere that people who do come into the area would want to see such a sign. It's by the abandoned gas station that has trash dumped and graffiti scrawled on it. Last time I went past that location, I did think it was long past time to pull it down!

What has this to do with Incorporation? To my mind, the matter of "welcome" sign placement especially in a tourist oriented location like Navarre is one that a "City of Navarre" should have control over. It's to do with the public image of the place and those who make such decisions should be accountable for.

As it stands now, it's hardly a great advert for our favorite part of Florida....
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:08 am

Frankly and I mean this with all sincerity...I don't want a sign in Navarre! I don't want people stopping to check it out. I want them to keep driving to Destin or Pensacola. Navarre Beach is THE LAST refuge from the crowds that destroyed Destin.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:20 pm

PensacolaKid wrote:Frankly and I mean this with all sincerity...I don't want a sign in Navarre! I don't want people stopping to check it out. I want them to keep driving to Destin or Pensacola. Navarre Beach is THE LAST refuge from the crowds that destroyed Destin.
Hahaha. Yes, I know and understand.
CrazyB

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:22 pm

PK,,,,,I have to say YES I so agree with you!!!
Kimberly Navarre
Jeremiah 29:11 ~~~For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.~~~
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:30 am

inquired someone in the know about location.
Learned that it is "beyond the control" of the sign donor and local powers. (Don't know why Navarre Press didn't do some investigative reporting?)
FDOT no longer allows signs in medians (think the ones going into Gulf Breeze, Mary Esther/Ft. Walton, etc.) - period.
Folks wanted to place it just south of the East Bay River Bridge - but private property owners declined to allow. Location is first property going south that would allow placement.
Was mentioned that FWB called Chamber and asked how we got it approved at all (took nearly two years) as they are trying to get one placed and not getting anywhere.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:08 am

YIPPY!!!!! Does that mean no sign??? :D 8)
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:42 am

I approved this morning for VOTE YES INC. to place a large sign on my residential property, which is on Highway 98 between the Best Western Hotel and Pier 23 Condo.

Dale and I will be voting YES!
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:47 am

Why? And why on your property? I know your property and that does not seem like a location for a sign? Who will see it going west from east?
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:17 am

PensacolaKid wrote:Why? And why on your property? I know your property and that does not seem like a location for a sign? Who will see it going west from east?
Are you serious? Did you spike your coffee this morning?
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:25 am

P'kid,

I think Kenny is talking about an Incorporate Now sign, not a Welcome to Navarre sign...

Mind you, I'd have already put a "Welcome to Heaven" sign in my front yard if I were at his location.

Just about the best place there (apart from being on the Island itself that is)....

8) 8) 8)
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:38 am

Ok...now I get it. That is the reason it did not make sense since we were on the Navarre Beach sign topic. Of course you can see by reading the threads how anyone could think that.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:51 am

This Topic is posted under the forum "Should the Navarre Beach Area Be Incorporated?"
Kenny Wilder
Are You Going to Heaven?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:53 am

Sorry!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:52 am

PensacolaKid wrote:YIPPY!!!!! Does that mean no sign??? :D 8)
Nope - it is already placed on 87 south - just south of Segura (abandoned/vacant gas station, most recently a "Pure" brand).
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
GONEFISHING

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:54 am

Vote NO for incorporation. My wife and I voted NO to Navarre Incorporation for many reasons.

Return to “Should the Navarre Beach Area Be Incorporated?”