Erika expected to become a hurricane as it reaches south Flo

Discussion, updates and tracking about Hurricanes, Tropical Storms and Depressions that may be related to Florida.
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Erika expected to become a hurricane as it reaches south Florida

The latest track for Erika shows the tropical storm strengthening to a Category 1 hurricane as it edges near the Florida Peninsula on Monday.

As of 4 p.m. Wednesday evening, maximum sustained winds are at 45 MPH as the storm moves west at 17 MPH. Erika will pass over the Leeward Islands Wednesday night and is expected to shift northwesterly over the next few days.

There is a chance Erika will end up in the Gulf of Mexico. Tune to WEAR-TV for the latest on Erika.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:30 am

Kenny Wilder wrote:There is a chance Erika will end up in the Gulf of Mexico. Tune to WEAR-TV for the latest on Erika.
Could be a wet mid to end of next week. Lets hope the winds are no more than tropical storm force by then.

As I wrote that, I remember being in our favorite house on the island during just one such tropical force storm four years (or was it more?) ago. As you get older, the exact number of years ago get a little bit hazy.

The winds were blowing the rain horizontally and very hard against the back wall, soaking it so much that the circuit breaker for the back yard outlets popped open (I have since resealed everything so it won't do that again). The palm trees and shrubbery outside banging against the side windows, as guttering from the small row of shops on the other side of the road came down and damaged cars parked in the small sandy parking lot out front of it. The park in the center of the driveway out front of our place flooded and stayed that way for several days, even if the road and parking spots were clear (but very wet!!) all through the storm - a good test of our car's weatherproofing too. 8)

It's important to remember that tropical force storms are not really all that much of a severe event by Gulf Coast standards if you (can) stay inside and the power stays on so you can keep the A/C going/beer cool/food cooking, TV on and stuff. Except for the very height of the storm, there were no more than a couple of cars but more than a couple four wheel drive/SUV's driving on Gulf Blvd, which is not something I'd like to do in those conditions.

Better safe than sorry.

Perhaps some tourists from somewhere that never gets a storm thinks tropical force storms are fun, I don't.
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
redchaz57
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:19 am

saying a prayer that Erika falls apart before coming a shore...
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:49 pm

redchaz57 wrote:saying a prayer that Erika falls apart before coming a shore...
AMEN to that, Redchaz! I still get the nervous tremors when I hear the words "Hurricane Andrew" ... we lived on the East Coast of FL at that time! SCARY stuff!

:shock:
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:15 am

I am praying it for some reason takes a left turn and comes over here to Texas. We desperately need the rain and what is it gonna hurt over here anyway?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:17 am

Just saw that Erika is no longer a storm. Oh well. So much for the needed rain.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:00 am

PensacolaKid wrote:Just saw that Erika is no longer a storm. Oh well. So much for the needed rain.
And so much for the expert predictions (just yesterday?) that it would make FL as a Cat 1???? :shock:
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:17 am

Those guys may have more equipment than I have but no one can convince me that the weatherman today, has anymore knowledge than what I can gain on my own. They really don't know diddly squat. They keep trying to predict the weather and it will never work.

Return to “Hurricanes, Tropical Storms and Depressions”