Pensacola Bay Bridge

Information and discussion about the Pensacola mainland, Navy Air Station, and Escambia County.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:21 am

May be in another forum but don't recall this subject elsewhere.

As most know - the new 3-mile bridge was damaged and closed during hurricane Sally last September by unsecured construction barges from the construction company. Very hard on many business on both ends, as well as inconvenient for any travel between Pensacola and south Santa Rosa county.
Were hopeful when it was announced that at least one lane in each direction would open March 22 (the northern mile of the bridge, the rest would be two lanes in each direction). Not great, but better, and take some pressure off of Garson bridge (one lane each direction - but at least tolls suspended - so far). And then 3-mile bridge was supposed to be back to 2-lanes each direction by Memorial Day.

Well......FDOT found further damage and March 22nd is off - and no new projection for ANY opening, nor if Memorial Day is still possible.
This is a real bummer as spring/summer beach/travel/tourist season ramps up and Covid restrictions decrease. Have noted several restaurants have taken the winter slow season to close for renovations and better post-Sally repairs.

Another casualty was Skopelo's at New World Landing has closed for good. Sally damage, loss of business in the banquet hall(s) (Covid), and loss of business due to bridge out. We really liked that place! Did open a very small new place back on Scenic Highway - sort of across the street from their original location - named Agapi. However, the overnight accommodation rooms at New World are still open.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2021/03/ ... 805688002/

At least here in Navarre we have found that, while it is 10-miles farther, it takes less time to get from Navarre to Cordova Mall area via Hwy 87 (65-mph 4-lane), and I-10 (75-mph and four lane - to six lane west of Avalon Blvd). But for downtown P'cola - probably was less time over the 4-lane 3-mile bridge than the 87 to I-10 to I-110 route.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:54 pm

Ooops - sorry, Pete. I'm a little late acknowledging this ... really good info for locals, tourists and for part-time residents! It's also a nice little trip down memory lane for us transplants to other areas of the world! Thanks for posting!
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Pete
Power User
Power User

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:49 am

More recent update. They say bridge will be open the week of May 31 (after Memorial Day weekend). Not specified if that is still just two lanes for northern end or all four lanes? Hope the latter.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “Pensacola Mainland”