Pensacola Bay Bridge...

Information and discussion about Pensacola Beach.
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:38 pm

I know several people here don't use Facebook, but there are a bunch of local area things that are using Facebook to post updates, news items and videos. One such project is the Pensacola Bay Bridge project. This is the replacement of the bridge that goes over the bay into Pensacola itself from Gulf Breeze. They posted a series of good video animations:

This is the video (if you are a Facebook user, it should open in a new tab in your browser):

http://www.facebook.com/MyPensacolaBayB ... 891588769/

And this is the video series (8 there so far) on the project web site:

http://www.pensacolabaybridge.com/multimedia/videos

And this of course is the link to the project web site: http://www.pensacolabaybridge.com

Makes interesting reading...
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:10 am

What an awesome sight that will be! However, we've always enjoyed the trip over the old bridge, too ...
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:20 am

Before my time here - but is there anyone who remembers driving the 2-lane Pensacola Bay bridge that preceded the current one - 1931-1960? Stories? Pictures?
Parts remained as fishing piers up until after Ivan.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:50 am

Pete wrote:Before my time here - but is there anyone who remembers driving the 2-lane Pensacola Bay bridge that preceded the current one - 1931-1960? Stories? Pictures?
There are a couple of historical groups on Facebook and I think the old PNJ archives do. There Ivan web site shows the wreckage...
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Pete wrote:Before my time here - but is there anyone who remembers driving the 2-lane Pensacola Bay bridge that preceded the current one - 1931-1960? Stories? Pictures?

I only recall the parts that remained as fishing piers prior to Ivan and seeing people "camped" out there overnight or at least very late at night!
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
bjrichus
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:58 pm

AngelGirl wrote:

I only recall the parts that remained as fishing piers prior to Ivan and seeing people "camped" out there overnight or at least very late at night!
There is a short history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensacola_Bay_Bridge

A couple of photos here: http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Philip_D ... ial_Bridge

More words here: http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Gulf_Breeze
Linda
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:12 pm

I was born in 1961 so the four lane bridge is what I recall. Spent a lot of time on the "fishing bridge" and always hate to hear people speak ill of those who enjoy spending time there fishing. Recall many a Sunday afternoon, hurrying home after church to change clothes and head to the beach. Traffic was also bad but with windows down and the radio on - no one cared. All part of the afternoon. Not so many tourist back then as the condos did not pepper the beach. We had paths through the dunes and took care to keep the beaches clean. Good memories.

I think the new Bay Bridge will be an excellent addition to Pensacola. If they could bypass Gulf Breeze, the way the plans are being tossed out for Navarre/Hwy 98, then they would really have some issues close to being solved.

Here's to the forward thinking planners!
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:04 pm

Linda wrote:I was born in 1961 so the four lane bridge is what I recall. Spent a lot of time on the "fishing bridge" and always hate to hear people speak ill of those who enjoy spending time there fishing. Recall many a Sunday afternoon, hurrying home after church to change clothes and head to the beach. Traffic was also bad but with windows down and the radio on - no one cared. All part of the afternoon. Not so many tourist back then as the condos did not pepper the beach. We had paths through the dunes and took care to keep the beaches clean. Good memories.

I think the new Bay Bridge will be an excellent addition to Pensacola. If they could bypass Gulf Breeze, the way the plans are being tossed out for Navarre/Hwy 98, then they would really have some issues close to being solved.

Here's to the forward thinking planners!
I can't understand why on earth anyone would speak "ill" of folks being out on a fishing pier enjoying being w/family and friends for a day (or evening) fishing ... maybe they were just envious? Sure looked like fun to me but I guess some folks will look for anything to gripe about. Well, Linda, those are your memories and are precious to you and will get more so as the years go by ... don't let anyone steal that happiness or even taint it! All that's important is that they were good times with the people you love.
AngelGirl

Linda
Power User
Power User

Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:36 pm

The comments have come in later years, AG, with the upscale take on Pensacola (city proper) and the desire to move out "undesirables." Because of homeless in the area, there has been talk in the past (not sure about the plans with the new bridge) of doing away with the fishing pier by the bay bridge. Most likely another story for another day and another forum. Teach a man to fish, right? ;)

I do have wonderful memories in and around the water ways of Pensacola and Pensacola Beach. It's home no matter where I've lived.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 am

Linda wrote:The comments have come in later years, AG, with the upscale take on Pensacola (city proper) and the desire to move out "undesirables." Because of homeless in the area, there has been talk in the past (not sure about the plans with the new bridge) of doing away with the fishing pier by the bay bridge. Most likely another story for another day and another forum. Teach a man to fish, right? ;)

I do have wonderful memories in and around the water ways of Pensacola and Pensacola Beach. It's home no matter where I've lived.
Hmmm ... "undesirables", huh? I guess the folks w/that attitude have never considered that they themselves could become homeless someday. That realization surely can change an attitude to gratitude (and compassion)! ;) Well, like you say, for another day and another forum!! Still, it seems like a shame to do away w/the fishing piers. Sounds to me like a great way of repurposing while providing something very useful to visitors and community alike. Maybe there are safety or environmental issues of which I'm unaware but surely those could be addressed w/a little ingenuity?
AngelGirl

Linda
Power User
Power User

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Hoping, since it did receive money from the Hurricane Ivan FEMA stash a few years ago, that the fishing pier on the Pensacola side of the bay will stay open. I've got a great pic of my Daddy fishing there. Sweet, sweet memory.
gulfbreezewind

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:01 pm

I too have spent many days and nights on the Pensacola side of the fishing bridge. A new, safer bridge between Pensacola and Gulf Breeze would be nice. So many memories and so much fun for my self, my children and even my grand children on the old fishing bridge. We would take a small pop up tent for the little ones to get out of the sun and to sleep in while we would fish and drop crab baskets over night. We never encountered homeless people on the bridge. Never encountered any bad people or problems. Everyone always had their favorite spot to park and fish. Sure hope they decide to keep a fishing pier for the locals and visitors. One of my memories from fishing there as a child, an elderly man walked up, asked if I wanted to see the cutest little monkey ever. Of course I said yes! He pulls out this old silver hand mirror and shows me my own reflection in the mirror, smiled at me, patted me on the head and walked back to his fishing rod.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:53 pm

That's a cute story ... and fun memory!! Your reaction probably made that old fisherman's day! ;)
AngelGirl

hometown2

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:19 am

AngelGirl wrote:That's a cute story ... and fun memory!! Your reaction probably made that old fisherman's day! ;)
I bet it made his day too. I wonder how many he fooled with that small mirror. :lol:

Return to “Pensacola Beach ”