Navarrre Beach Leaseholders Lease Credit on Tax

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
bjrichus
Power User
Power User
Location: Looking forward to the next trip to Navarre Beach! WOO HOO!

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:08 am

Navarrebeacher wrote:On 02/12/15 the SRC BOCC voted to set all residential lease fees at $250 per year or lower. No leaseholders that have leases less than $250 will have their leases raised.
In addition the BOCC voted 3 to 2 to void the requirement that require approximately 700 leaseholders to pay an additional 5% of gross rental income if they rent their residences and condo's to tourist. 8)
Good news!!!!
bjrichus (also known as Brian)
NavarreBeachLife.com Moderator
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:20 am

Good news for "residential" lease holders!

Being a "mainlander" I was unaware of the provision for some 700 of the 1700+ NB leases that required an additional 5% (of rental income?) as additional lease fee for third party rentals.
Just the fact that it only applied to 700 of 1700+ properties seems patently discriminatory - not to mention, that now that paying full ad valorem taxes, it is just milking for additional cash.
Was somewhat (be not completely) surprised that it was not a 5-0 vote to now eliminate this "third party" additional lease fee/"tax" on just equability grounds.
Kudos to both commissioners Jayer and Rob Williamson and commissioner Cole for seeing the light.

Now they (BOCC) need to address equability for the 11 (as I understand to be) "commercial" leaseholders vs. their ad valorem taxes ASAP.

Will also, be interesting to follow the study on the next MSBU for beach renourishment.
(will it be too "political" to allow on this forum?)
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Kenny Wilder
Power User
Power User

Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:51 am

Pete wrote: (will it be too "political" to allow on this forum?)
Pete,

I certainly appreciate your concern about political comments on the NBL Forum(s).

Just about everything in Life including all the Forum(s) on the NavarreBeachLife.com website is somewhat political. My REMOVING several months ago the 8 year old political Forum "We the People" became too inappropriate, toxic, negative with personal venting does not apply to all other Forums including this one. Political discussion about the Navarre Beach Area including Santa Rosa County is welcomed. I just will not allow unusually negative, hateful, profane, disrespectful and inappropriate comments. I really believe that going forward our two great Moderators, nor will I be much involved in having to censor political comments on all of our Forum(s). If it is necessary to censor a comment we will issue a friendly warning to keep your political and other comments civil.

Since I removed the political Forum "We the People", I have noticed that folks are much nicer, positive, friendlier and respectful of each other with their comments on all of the Forum(s). I should have removed the political forum years ago. Every day that passes I realize that removing the old political forum was the right thing to do.
Kenny Wilder
NavarreBeachLife.com ~ Owner/Administrator
Constitutional Conservative
Florida Master Naturalist ~ Coastal Systems and Wetlands
Forum Rules and Regulations (Terms of Service)
Are You Going to Heaven?
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:33 pm

On 03/05/15, I was informed by the County Attorney's office that the office was working on the many leases that meet that modification threshold of more than $250 per year and that it would take time as there are so many different types of leases on NB.
I was told that a letter was being drifted to be sent to all affected leaseholders but no time frame was given on when these letters would be sent. I was also informed that most leaseholders probably would have to submit their lease papers to get action taken on an individual basis. Stand by and be prepared on that issue if applicable.
So at this time leaseholders that are affected by this change in lease fee policy will just have to wait until we get the SRC letters to inform us what to do on this issue.
Personally; I hope to get my NB variable lease modified to the fixed $250 per year fixed lease and the sooner the better. At least some leaseholders will get some economic relief until the Fee Simple Title legislation is passed or rejected by the US House and Senate. Since 2001 I have been paying considerably more variable lease fees, plus FL intangible taxes, plus ad valorem taxes and I was getting no lease credit back against taxes paid during those years like some NB leaseholders did.:roll:
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:38 am

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/san ... /25188255/
More news on the Navarre Beach lease/tax issue.

After years of inconsistencies with Navarre Beach lease fees the county is now preparing to do something about it.
According to the PNJ article up to 1300 leaseholders will be notified of their eligibility to get a lease amendment in the next few weeks with a requirement to provide SRC the latest documents to make sure SRC records are up to date. Then SRC will have to modify pretty much every lease according to the County Attorney Roy Andrews.
Notice will also be given to the 722 leases with fees of $250 or less that lease fees are no longer suspended and payment is due.
:roll: 8)
RastaNavarrian

Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:56 am

I received my letter last week (dated March 30) that details the upcoming changes. It asks for a "copy of master lease, assignment of lease, or the latest document of conveyance". All I remember from my closing documents last year was a scan of a very old lease from the 1950's.

At least it is progress. Thank you to the Santa Rosa County Commissioners and their staff for addressing this issue.
BCJ1958

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:15 pm

For anyone who has lost or does not know where their lease paper work is you should be able to go to the Santa Rosa County Assessor Web Sit and look yourself up under documents, you should be able to find your lease paper work it is public record.
Navarrebeacher
Power User
Power User

Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:42 pm

BCJ 1958. I just spent considerable time uncessfully on the Property Appraisers WEB site and Clerk of the Courts site to see and possibly download a less dog eared and marked up copy of my 13 page SRC lease and assignments that I have in my possession. If possible please walk me /us step by step to the SRC Lease public document site so we can review and possibly download copies these SRC public documents. Thanks
RastaNavarrian

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:30 am

I sent a message to the county asking for clarification. Merry Beth Andrews replied with the following helpful information.

The document that we need is the latest Assignment of Lease or whatever document transferred the property from the previous owner to you and your wife. If you go to the property appraiser’s site, http://www.srcpa.org and pull up the information on your parcel you will see at the bottom of the page under Sales information under Deed Book a number that you click on which brings up the latest document. Print that and send it with the form to the following address:

SANTA ROSA COUNTY
6495 Caroline Street, Suite C
Milton, Florida 32570
Pete
Power User
Power User

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:13 am

While does not directly affect me (mainlander) - I checked out an NB parcel (single family home) that is owned by my neighbor's daughter and SIL.
The latest (2003) transfer and assignment documents did NOT cover the amount of lease fee.
Nor did earlier transfer and assignment docs from 2001 and 1995.
Had to go back to a 1993 document for the whole 29 parcel subdivision (plus common areas) to see lease fee.
Finally, four documents back - found the documents that stated it was a "99-year, automatically renewable for 99-year" lease and the lease fee would be 4-tenths of one percent (0.4% = 0.004)
of the latest sales price, or latest property appraiser appraisal, whichever is greater - per lot.
(does NOT appear to have the "5% third party rental" additional lease fee provision?)
For their one lot - the improved lot is appraised at $388K - so lease fee was $1550 or so?
New $250 maximum will definitely benefit them, as also now paying about $5,500 in property taxes.
Hope all goes well for all concerned!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”