The water doesn't look good

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
BeachLoverInNM

Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:45 pm

On the beach cam it looks like the water is very black and yucky. Is that actually the case? We are supposed to check in this Saturday for a week and are dreading another visit with yucky water. When we started vacationing in NB in 1992, the water was beautiful, but no matter what time of year we go anymore, there is always some issue. :( :(
Going Nuts

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:10 am

The water is just churned up from the tropical crud, but it should get better by the day now that Sally and Beta have vamoosed. C'mon down, the weather next week is low 60's to mid 80's and clear. Perfect fall weather!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:37 am

BeachloverinNM,

I have been coming to Navarre on business and pleasure since well, the earliest I can remember vividly is, 1970. A long time. As much as I adore the place, I too have noticed over the years that the water clarity in Navarre vs. say, Destin, and further east, has declined for whatever reason. It has really become a hit or miss type of thing. Of course Navarre at least for me offers things that Destin cannot. It has been quite a while since I have stayed in Navarre and had pristine water the entire week. It still happens don't get me wrong but the frequency of the off days has increased in my opinion. Now it appears the beach has been washed out to sea. It may be high tide right now and the Gulf may still be a bit stirred up from the recent storms but the beach looks flat and hard. Difficult to be certain being 500 miles away though.

Like Going Nuts said, come on down. Still gonna be better than where you are now and chances are the water will be clear tomorrow.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:42 am

And by the way, when I was down there in July, the first two days we could not even get in the water because of rips and rough surf. The third day we could get in a very short distance from shore and it had started to clear. The last 3-4 days, clear as the Caribbean. She is very fickle!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:42 am

Gotta tell ya, because of the weather and stirred up water, the clouds, etc., the webcam view almost looks black and white today. Strange!
BeachLoverInNM

Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:21 pm

Thank you so much for the replies! I wish we knew why the water clarity has changed and if anything could be done about it. I also love NB for many reasons, but I miss the beautiful water.
AU70TIGER

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:09 pm

There are some of us for whom the water is something we look at while sitting under our umbrella. I'm kind of an ankle deep guy - just get a touch, lay back down and open another cold one. For me it is simply about tranquility and watching folks, all the while reading a trashy new thriller novel on my iPad. As the name on our umbrella and chairs says, "C'est La Vie"!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:09 am

BeachLoverInNM wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:21 pm
Thank you so much for the replies! I wish we knew why the water clarity has changed and if anything could be done about it. I also love NB for many reasons, but I miss the beautiful water.
Not sure how much it affects the gulf, but for sound and other inland waterways - need to be aware that there is a potential change to the Land Development Code (LDC) to allow greater use of red clay and sand fill. It is my understanding that currently red clay and sand fill may only be used under foundations and roads where it is capped/contained. With further development, especially near water, if it is allowed greater use as fill there will be greater chance of it eroding into the water and clouding - especially events like storm surge and 10-20 inch rain events.
May consider contacting the BOCC (Board of County Commissioners) with concerns?
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:36 pm

If you look at the Destin area right now, the water is much calmer and it is starting to clear more so than the Navarre area. I just don't get it. Perhaps the currents have changed due to the storms this summer. That is the only thing I can figure.

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”