Water is Rising

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:05 am

Obviously very few webcams are working. I was able to pull up AJ's webcam (Destin Harbor). The water has risen to cover the docks and harbor walk area.

https://old98destin.com/beach-cams/ajs-dockside-destin/
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 am

I just saw some footage from the Weather Channel showing the general area just east of the Navarre Bridge pretty close to where Kenny and Dale live. We hope and pray they are safe and ok and dry as the water was very high and very very rough. Anxious to hear from you Kenny when you can. I am sure they do not have power.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:46 pm

Some friends from here were at their condo in Ft Morgan (near Gulf Shores) and headed back home early yesterday morning, sent us some photos that their neighbors sent them of the damage and the high water. Looks like lots of siding and some roofing "sailed away" to the next county! The streets were little rivers and the marshes spread into the parking lots.

Just a reminder to keep all our forumites in your prayers ... I haven't heard from Kenny and Dale or from our pal EconProf who along with his beautiful bride have relocated to the Gulf Shores area, too.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:51 am

Well, it is stunning what a just over Cat 2 storm can do. The 3-MIle Bridge from Pensacola mainland to Gulf Breeze is down indefinitely because a piece of it is now on the bottom of the Bay. That is going to mess those folks up something fierce. The Garcon Bridge directly to the east that spans the Bay and goes to I-10 was also hit by a barge and that is down for the foreseeable future. The Beach Road has been washed away and of course has two to three feet of sand over it. So, the people who stayed back on Pensacola Beach are stranded.

I am quite sure the beaches took a massive beating as did I assume, a 1/3 or more of the berm. I guess we will see when pics start coming in. The webcam is naturally down. Looks like a lot of cleanup for sure but thankfully it was not an Ivan, which came ashore exactly to the day, 16 years ago, almost in the same spot.

Looks like those of us who had plans to be there in the coming weeks just might be making other plans. Stay safe residents. No doubt snakes have also been disrupted and the Good Lord knows just north of 98 when that floods the bad boys flee.
AU70TIGER

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:34 am

I am planning on going down to Navarre Beach tomorrow afternoon, barring some declaration about my not being able to get to my condo unit. I've got a NBI (Navarre Beach ID) and understand that they are allowing owners. With the power still out at this time (could change by tomorrow), I plan on taking a small (tailgate size) generator and fuel, a dehumidifier, my wet/dry shop vac, my ipad (fully charged) and iphone, etc. Got a good pickup with substantial road clearance in case of standing water. Need to clean out fridge and generally check our unit out. On 7th floor, so will have to walk up carrying the stuff unless elevator is back running via condo generator. I'll do my best to post photos/videos.

On Ivan - back then we owned a unit at Sundunes. My wife and I were in Huntsville watching Weather Channel. Who should appear but Jim Cantore. Behind him we could clearly see Sundunes. We did not pray that it wouldn't get hit but that some other persons place would be trashed. Our unit did but thanks to insurance and a great contractor, it came back better than before.
marko

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:40 am

Some pics from yesterday I found. https://www.navarrenewspaper.com/navarr ... -to-sally/

Hopefully the water will start dissipating today. Stay safe..
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:01 am

AU70TIGER wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:34 am
I am planning on going down to Navarre Beach tomorrow afternoon, barring some declaration about my not being able to get to my condo unit. I've got a NBI (Navarre Beach ID) and understand that they are allowing owners. With the power still out at this time (could change by tomorrow), I plan on taking a small (tailgate size) generator and fuel, a dehumidifier, my wet/dry shop vac, my ipad (fully charged) and iphone, etc. Got a good pickup with substantial road clearance in case of standing water. Need to clean out fridge and generally check our unit out. On 7th floor, so will have to walk up carrying the stuff unless elevator is back running via condo generator. I'll do my best to post photos/videos.

On Ivan - back then we owned a unit at Sundunes. My wife and I were in Huntsville watching Weather Channel. Who should appear but Jim Cantore. Behind him we could clearly see Sundunes. We did not pray that it wouldn't get hit but that some other persons place would be trashed. Our unit did but thanks to insurance and a great contractor, it came back better than before.
FYI: You probably already know this but you might consider getting an emergency power bank for your devices:
https://trueemergency.com/charge-phone- ... er-outage/
AngelGirl

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:06 am

marko wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:40 am
Some pics from yesterday I found. https://www.navarrenewspaper.com/navarr ... -to-sally/

Hopefully the water will start dissipating today. Stay safe..
Oh, wow --- the photos are disheartening to say the least but hopefully still no reports of loss of human life! We know most of the wildlife probably got out of there early on when they sensed the change in the atmosphere. Thanks for posting the link, marko!
AngelGirl

AU70TIGER

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:27 pm

AngelGirl, thanks for the suggestion. I've got a "jump starter" that has a USB port and planned on bringing that - just hope that either condo internet works or ATT connection is good!

From a long time (since 1989) owner on the beach, I've come to expect damage every few years. As I age, I've come to realize that it is just my "stuff" - not my life. Of course, those who rent (we don't), it can be devastating financially, especially during these trying times. Good insurance is a must in owning on the beach. "Stuff" can be replaced, people can't.

I pray for those who are displaced, for those who suffer financially, emotionally and, of course, for a return to the beauty of Navarre Beach. Those who own or visit have a wonderful place to relax and do as much (or, in my case, as little) as you desire.

Thanks to all for providing information and encouragement.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:28 am

FYI - our AT&T internet did not get back up until yesterday late afternoon.
(as on other thread, didn't get power back until yesterday 4 AM)

I've got a couple of pics of Navarre Park taken Wed. afternoon. Will get them posted here later.

We drove around Wednesday after the wind died down and rain stopped - mostly to see if we could get out of the neighborhood. Lots of side streets were lakes. East Bay Blvd and Hwy 87 were pretty good. 98 had some standing water but was passable.
From what we saw, nothing was open except one gas station and one liquor store.

By yesterday, water was down though some side streets still had some standing water. Went to Publix - they were slammed. Actually had to drive around the parking lot for several minutes (5-10?) to find a parking spot open up. We did go to YOBB last evening for Pizza and beer, They were busy.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”