Pensacolakid's 2020 Family Trip

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:08 pm

Well, another year in the books for the Kid's family trip to paradise. Have a lot to offer this year and just so you know, a few things do not get high marks that I must share so others might learn.

Let's start with who to rent a property from. Or not to as the case may be. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT rent from Century 21 Island View Realty. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT RENT #208 in the Emerald Surf Condo Unit. You will know the Emerald Surf because of the emerald green trim on the webcam and it is the one with a pool when looking to the west. The unit was absolutely deplorable. The owners should be ashamed of themselves for renting this out. Everything in it, with the exception of the view and the TV needs to be gutted and thrown in the dumpster. It has not had anything done to it since the condo was built. Very poor taste in my mouth. East is the least when it comes to renting. Toooooo many people everywhere but I knew that going in but had no choice. The agency never reached out to us before during or after to see how our experience was going. They were actually rude when we inquired about the umbrella situation and who owned this unit. Jeanne I think her name is, has no business being in front of people. Nasty attitude. There is a reason why we stuck with Mermaid Mansions all these years and will absolutely be back with them hopefully next year.

The view from the second floor was spectacular. That was one positive to this unit. We saw multiple dolphins and one massive Manta Ray leap 8-10 feet out of the water. The water was less that spectacular the first two days with a West/SW wind. Once it switched around to a north then SE wind the water was crystal clear.

Juanas was a no go this year due to this Covid BS. Windjammers on the Pier was getting all the business. One thing we discovered was, actaully we have known this for years and years, is that the fast good beach food type of options are few and far between in Navarre. Oh sure there are restaurants but no place for a good burger, dog, shrimp boat, oyster bar, Gumbo type of place. Windjammers is very pricey and so is the place attached to the Springhill Suites. In fact, their hours are limited. Nothing per se on the island but Broussards, Windjammers and Juanas. Navarre is primed for someone to open up a beach joint and have it be there for decades. We did do McGuires twice and it was incredible both times. Super food. We also ate at a long time restaurant on Pensacola Bay by the name of Marina Oyster Barn. It has been there for decades and is exactly the type of place Navarre needs.

One very cool thing we did this year in lieu of the Crab Island excursion was to snorkel the Destin Jetties. So cool and the fish were amazing. I am sure it is even better in say late Sept or early October when the boat traffic is lighter and the water is crystal clear. It was a bit choppy and slightly cloudy underwater but nonetheless it was fabulous. If you take a look at Youtube and bring up The Toneman snorkeling Norriego Point, you can see what we saw.

We had a thunderstorm on Sunday a week ago, that produced something I have never seen in 61 years on earth. An electrical storm that lasted 1 hour and almost 10 minutes with a bolt literally every 2 seconds. It was spectacular. Otherwise the weather was hot and sunny.

Fishing was only good for one day. However, my daughter had never fished before and she wants to get into the Bay fishing we have here in Texas. So, I took her to the pier and she learned how to cast, retrieve and yes even catch her first 4 fish. On Wednesday she caught her first Spanish Mackerel and the only one caught on the pier that morning. She also caught 4 Bluefish. Btw..there is Covid spacing on the Pensacola Pier. Not the case on the Navarre Pier. Frankly I do not believe it is needed outside and especially in salt air and in the heat.

Speaking of which you cannot fathom how wonderful it was and still is not being on Facebook and not hearing one utterance of news the entire time we were down there. Completely out of touch with the world and it was lovely. I made a commitment that when I returned I will NOT buy back into the chaos overtaking this world and country. I will rely on others to inform me if I need to start packing or the country is invaded or whatever. Oh, masks are required in Pensacola and not in Navarre.

As is the case the week flew by in a heartbeat. Already starting on the planning for next year and it will NOT be with Century 21. If I think of anything else I will let you know. Fortunately I am going back again in late September or early October by myself to sun and fish.
lvthebch
Power User
Power User

Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:52 pm

I so enjoy your beach reports! I am so sorry about the rental. That is a real disappointment to show up and have a less than great condo unit. Sounds like a mostly great week and I know what you mean about how quickly the week passes! I know you enjoyed fishing with your daughter! Thank you for sharing all of the useful information!

AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:33 am

Thanks, P'Kid, once again, for the great report on your family trip to NB and the helpful and important updates. Here are two of The Toneman's video presentations, referenced in your article, that include Norriego Point snorkeling experiences:

From about 2 weeks ago, The Toneman presents:

> < > >< > > < >

From August of 2019: the snorkeling portion starts around 4:51 on the slider:

AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:01 am

Thanks lvthebch and AG. The Toneman's water clarity is much better than what we had but it was certainly clear enough to see aquarium types of fish. Very beautiful.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:01 am

What is the best way for me to post some pictures I took while down Navarre way?
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:30 pm

Is this what you mean? Open a new blank window, or edit an older post; be sure the tab, bottom left, is on "Attachments"; then click on "Add Files" locate the photos you want to post from your device, click "Place inline" and "Submit". If you want to see how they look before you do the final "Submit", then click on "Preview" first ... but don't forget to "Submit" or it won't post.
how to post photos and files on nb forum.jpg
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks AG! Will give it a try.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:58 am

Well, let's give this picture thing the ol college try.
20200712_190711.jpg
20200715_101233.jpg
20200717_060003.jpg
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:59 am

20200724_120546.jpg
Another one.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:38 am

Here are a few more.
Pic7.jpg
Pic7.jpg
Pic5.jpg
Attachments
Pic6.jpg
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:42 am

Sorry had one in there twice. A few more.
Attachments
Pic9.jpg
Pic8.jpg
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 am

And a couple more.
Pic11.jpg
Pic10.jpg
lvthebch
Power User