Navarre Beach to open May 1

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:44 am

Am I reading this correctly?

Navarre Beach will re-open May 1, partially.

Though the original plan was to limit the opening to locals, county commissioners voted Thursday to open the beach to anyone from 2:30 to 7:30 p.m. daily.

County Administrator Dan Schebler said the plan was formulated through consulting first responders, health officials and the county attorney.

The beach closed to the public March 21 at the advisement of hospital administrators in the region advising that a massive outbreak could overwhelm capacity. Due to low hospitalization rates, only about 37 cumulatively in the two-county area, those same CEOs issued a letter saying reopening the beach in phases would not have a major impact.

Visitors would still be required to follow social distancing guidelines, maintaining six feet between people and no groups larger than 10.

For some citizens, the announcement was not enough. They argued that the beach should reopened entirely, not in phases.

The Navarre Beach Fishing Pier will also reopen for those with annual fishing passes and annual walking passes, roughly 300 people. The pier would be reopened for the full day and require screening.

The sheriff’s office checkpoint will also remain in place on Gulf Boulevard.

The phased plan would have this situation continue for at least two weeks after May 1. From there, commissioners are set to open the beach further, depending on the results.

Commissioners also extended the existing declaration of local state of emergency.

Citizens addressing the board argued the current approach to COVID-19 has trampled on their constitutional rights and put large numbers of businesses in jeopardy. They pointed to low instances of infection, hospitalization and death in the county.

But, as Lynchard pointed out, the closures were not controlled by the county. They were state mandated.

However, commission candidate Jerry Cooey said his issue with the order was how it lifted essential protections of taxpayer funds, giving the county administrator the ability to make expenditures and extend contracts without public meeting and commission vote.

Piech defended Schebler’s decisions, saying while he had authority, he has been open in consulting commissioners before making decisions. Lynchard moved the extension without objection.

Commissioner Don Salter emphasized that the mitigation efforts are what has kept infections low.

“We have the low number of virus infection that we have because of the federal, state and local restrictions we put in place,” he said.

He said changes back to normal need to be phased.

For now, commissioners are looking for guidance from the state’s Re-Open Florida Task Force, but Schebler said the county’s data of cases suggest they are ready for phase I of opening under White House guidance.

The task force will report their recommendations for reopenig the state Friday.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:55 am

The Gulf Coast has seen fewer cases and deaths. However, I do not lighten the burden of those family members who have endured the death of beloved family members. Thankfully, Gov DeSantis and the medical community brought about the closures of the beach and that skewed the possibility of even higher numbers with the spring break season. I'm glad they did that and applaud community efforts.

I pray the numbers do not explode in our Panhandle counties with tourists coming in from hot spots.

Just checked VRBO and they have a statement about rentals adhering to rules concerning COVID19.

Rather than piece milling the process, I'd like to hear from Gov DeSantis on how Florida will phase in the reopenings and what the guidelines will be for beaches, lodging, and dining. I can't imagine the process of "social distancing" at some of the more popular restaurants where folks crowd in groups waiting.

We can't dismiss the virus and say it's not with us. It is and will be.

I just hope we don't have to back up and start all over again. Praying for wise decisions based on life. These truly are choose life choices vs making money.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:59 pm

I agree with the vast majority of what you say. I cannot foresee restaurants opening up in masses and allowing the old way of doing things. I do not see that happening until maybe September barring a miracle. I do believe we need to start opening up things however. This country cannot withstand 40-50% unemployment. Not to mention all the side effects of not working. I also do not believe the beaches will be overrun once the green light is given. You will see people staying a good distance away from others.

Lastly and it was reported yesterday by WSJ (I think) that just over 94% of the deaths in the USA have been attributable to people with underlying health issues. So, my question is, did they really die of the plague or did it just exacerbate the original condition. Either way, it is a 98-99% recovery rate with thousands not even knowing they had it. I tend to go with the latter. I stand by my words of weeks ago, do not believe for one second that there is not a huuuuuge political tangent to this whole thing and many are working it to this very moment.

If they open, I will be one of the first with my butt in the sand.
Linda
Power User
Power User

Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:04 pm

Here's a link that shows the counties in Panhandle and those confirmed with COVID19. Travel related. Interesting. As you scan the list there is a 2 year old Santa Rosa county child with the virus. This was from the time period where they closed the beaches.

https://weartv.com/news/local/pensacola ... wn-by-city

I think visitors should know our details before they come for vacation. It would be nice to know their details, also. What are they bringing to us?

As the counties up the support for vacations on the beaches, you'll see less numbers shared with the public.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:29 am

Linda wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:04 pm
Here's a link that shows the counties in Panhandle and those confirmed with COVID19. Travel related. Interesting. As you scan the list there is a 2 year old Santa Rosa county child with the virus. This was from the time period where they closed the beaches.

https://weartv.com/news/local/pensacola ... wn-by-city
That link is from March 23 data - a month old. Numbers about 10X now.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:41 am

Re: "Praying for wise decisions based on life. These truly are choose life choices vs making money."

For folks w/o a job - making money is choosing life. Nationwide heard statistic that there have been 600+ lost jobs per Covid death.
If just two of those lost jobs result in a suicide or drug OD (not unreasonable? - I mentioned previously that another statistic was that for every 1% increase in unemployment there is a 3% increase in drug ODs), or die because can't afford medications or medical care - that is even greater death. Jobs = life for many people/families. Many lost jobs cannot get unemployment compensation (and the government handout/stimulus payment doesn't cover even one month of normal individual/family expenses) - and while I support local food banks and charities, there will even be limits to that - the current surge of such help cannot be sustained for months on end.

While wife and I are in the "70-y/o with underlying conditions" group, we will not be going out for dine-in or social groups anytime soon, no matter what is open. But we look forward to taking a picnic to the beach and set up 100-feet from others and watch the sun set!
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:17 am

I don't blame you Pete. With underlying conditions, it would be foolish at this point. Now let's give it another 2-3 months and the heat and see where we are.

To your point Linda, I would not be bringing anything with me. I have done what the experts have asked, I am healthy, no symptoms (Although I did have some type of flu starting on New Years Day) and I am in good shape.

Restaurants are going to have to open up though or they will go out of business.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:19 am

Btw, our good Forum buddy, Going Nuts had a wonderful suggestion. Have people come to the beach based on Alphabetical last names. Altering days. Great idea. I'd be down for it.
marko

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:29 am

I think they should open up. Maintaining social distancing on the beach is much easier then what I have seen here practiced in north Texas, especially in the stores on the walking trails. Despite the woeful lack of testing in Texas, the numbers here have been relatively low,, but more based on hospitalization rate. An interesting article on theories of why Florida has not had the explosion of cases like New York. https://www.vox.com/2020/4/24/21234641/ ... ay-at-home
Linda
Power User
Power User

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:41 am

South Florida has definitely been a hot spot.

I don't think the issue is social distancing on the beaches. We all know the crowded conditions with vacationers in shops and restaurants and the crowds on boats at Crab Island.

Hopefully people will continue to do essential shopping and cook meals in the condos.
marko

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Interesting study released which tested for antibodies in a randomized selection of people in miami-dade county. it shows an actual infection rate to be about 6% of the population, or about 15 times what the reported rate is. https://www.miamiherald.com/news/corona ... 60406.html

The jury is still out regarding re-infection possibilities but it isn't good so far.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:57 am

marko wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:29 am
I think they should open up. Maintaining social distancing on the beach is much easier then what I have seen here practiced in north Texas, especially in the stores on the walking trails. Despite the woeful lack of testing in Texas, the numbers here have been relatively low,, but more based on hospitalization rate. An interesting article on theories of why Florida has not had the explosion of cases like New York. https://www.vox.com/2020/4/24/21234641/ ... ay-at-home
Interesting article. Besides heat/humidity another factor is sunlight, specifically UV. UV known to kill viruses, installed in some HVAC systems, especially in hospitals, and installed in ORs. Took the following off of TV. Note the dramatic drop in half-life with either or both 80% humidity and sunlight. Probably part of why spring breakers were not a worse problem with spreading? Wonder what the numbers would be for 50-60% humidity, 80-85 degrees and sunlight - typical FL "spring" numbers?
CV-19halflifeIMG_0756.JPG
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Going Nuts

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:04 am

PensacolaKid wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:19 am
Btw, our good Forum buddy, Going Nuts had a wonderful suggestion. Have people come to the beach based on Alphabetical last names. Altering days. Great idea. I'd be down for it.
My wife and I thought about this about a week ago before the beaches began opening up. Last names A - L have beach access on even days, M - Z, odd days. I think this could keep crowds on the beach manageable, and also now that Pensacola Beach is open completely during the daylight hours, it could also keep traffic on the very skinny-laned 3-Mile Bridge down a bit. Since this is the first spring weekend with nice weather, kids out of school, and an open beach, I'm predicting 12 wrecks on it Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully nothing more than fender benders.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:26 am

I bet it is crazy because so many people are stir crazy. I agree with you GN's, wrecks wrecks and more wrecks.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:19 am

PensacolaKid wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:26 am
I bet it is crazy because so many people are stir crazy. I agree with you GN's, wrecks wrecks and more wrecks.
Oh, dear! let's hope and pray this is a cautionary "prediction" and people will take extra care and apply a little extra patience in view of the emotional environment set up by causes beyond our control. At least by employing a little patience, self-control, commonsense, empathy and care this is something over which people can take a giant step toward self-governance once again.
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”