Who has rented a condo in the Regency Tower

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:24 am

As anyone out there ever rented a property in the Regency? If so, would you mind filling me in on your thoughts. Pro's & Con's please. Thanks in advance.
Going Nuts

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:30 am

Pkid,
The family owns a Regency unit for personal use, not a rental. It's a nice complex, plenty of parking, and because it's short and wide (like a lot of people I know...), there is more room on the beach vs the highrises with a small footprint, and you can walk to the pier from there. Anything specific you need to know?
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks Going Nuts. Great to know. Just wondering about the crowd level and umbrella/chair companies taking over and being in the second or third row deep. I have never done that in 50 years of being in Navarre and just trying to make a decision on whether to rent a unit there or at Emerald Surf. The one at the Regency is first floor, on the beach, really nice inside and the one less expensive. The Emerald Surf one is obviously a bit smaller but down the road a bit.

We are trying to figure out if all the positives of the Regency one outweigh the potential crowd(ing). It appears we would have to get up at 5 to stake our beach area. Thoughts?
GinaT2

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:16 pm

The rental company is horrible at the Regency. They race out very early (before 6 am) and set up so that you are unable to get front row. I think some of the owners have an agreement with the rental agency. The rental company will even set up in front of you after you have set up your tent/chairs in order to be the first row. As you can tell, I can't stand them. Wish they would leave a little bit of area for those that don't want to rent. Most days there are empty chairs that sit empty the whole day blocking the view for others. Wish people would not patronize them, but I understand they are trying to make a living.

Other than that issue, Regency is pretty good. You may want to check out the view for a first floor. You may not be able to see the gulf as easily because of the sand dunes.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:42 am

Gina,

Thank you for the information. The unit we are looking at is beautiful and the bedding is the best. It is on the first floor (technically the 2nd) and the beach is obscured by the berm. I also think I would stay angry or frustrated most of the week having to do battle with those chair people.

AG our resident Administrator VP, has stayed in the Emerald Surf before and by the pictures and her report, it sounds like that may be the ticket.
Going Nuts

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:06 am

I hate to say but we've never spent any time at the Regency during peak season, so I can't say anything about the beach setups. Looking at all of that crud from the beach cams though, it does look like they've been allowed to take every inch of the shoreline they can from most of the condos. Owners do get a discount if they rent the stuff, and some of my wife's family uses them regularly, probably thinking it's easier to join them than beat them.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:22 pm

I have sent many pics and actually a drone flight video of the condos and the umbrellas to my wife and she said that is a deal breaker. Never in 50+ years have I had to settle for anything less than front row beach (that is the plus to the west side) and I am not about to start now. It is a shame cause the price and beauty of the place is there.
GinaT2

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Our family has been going there for years and it just keeps getting worse each year. We had a run in a few years ago with the beach chair vultures as we like to call them. Went out at 6 am to try to put up our umbrella & chairs. Chair guy was almost about to set up right in front of us, mind you we were pretty close to water line at the time. We politely asked that he not set up right in front of us and he then told us the owner of the company does not want anyone in front of the rental chairs. But he was nice & did not set up in front of us. Not sure that would happen today. Those people are just horrible and I don't understand why more people just get some chairs and umbrellas for at least half of the cost.

If owners of the rental units start to hear that the chair vultures are running off business, maybe things will change. Just breaks my heart how things are changing at Navarre Beach for the worse.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 am

GinaT2 wrote:
If owners of the rental units start to hear that the chair vultures are running off business, maybe things will change. Just breaks my heart how things are changing at Navarre Beach for the worse.
That is what it would take. But if the units stay full, maybe that is what the unit owners want.
Not sure how one would get a campaign to have folks who decide NOT to rent units to so advise the reason(s)?
Had some friends of our daughter - from Ft. Smith - stay at the Caribbean in July - they still stayed there - but drove to the first parking area in the National Seashore for "beach" time.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 am

Yeah just not my cup of tea to fight crowds. In fact, I despise them!
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:45 pm

GinaT2 wrote:
Our family has been going there for years and it just keeps getting worse each year. We had a run in a few years ago with the beach chair vultures as we like to call them. Went out at 6 am to try to put up our umbrella & chairs. Chair guy was almost about to set up right in front of us, mind you we were pretty close to water line at the time. We politely asked that he not set up right in front of us and he then told us the owner of the company does not want anyone in front of the rental chairs. But he was nice & did not set up in front of us. Not sure that would happen today. Those people are just horrible and I don't understand why more people just get some chairs and umbrellas for at least half of the cost.

It would make sense to do that, but then either they abandon them at the beach when they leave, or they get thrown away. Throwing away all those chairs and umbrellas all summer long! In my opinion that is such big waste of resources. But I do understand what you are saying.

We used to own and rent out our condo. Guests demand/request chair setups. It's a big bargaining point. The chair companies need to find a better way - perhaps reserving an area of beach for personal chairs, a discounted price for setups further back?

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”