When is Navarre going to figure out the restaurant scene

Here is the main forum about Navarre Beach. You will find tons of information, condo/beach house rentals, and discussion about the most beautiful beach in the world. Welcome to Paradise!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:38 am

Forgot to offer information on the eating scene there in Navarre. As Going Nuts mentioned to me..."not sure why Navarre can't figure out the restaurant scene". We tried several places this time be it lunch or dinner and many times it was the three families trying different places.

Our first try was the new Dewey Destin's. It did not follow the pattern of the original, I am assuming. Not impressed with it at all and probably will not go back. Overpriced for what you get and what you get it not even very good. One family visited the Beach House next to the Springhill Suites and said it was decent but pricey. Some tried out the new pier restaurant and boy are they proud of their prices. Waaaay overpriced for basically bar type food. Then to beat all, my wife and daughter went to Broussard's. Insanely disappointed. My wife ordered shrimp tacos on corn tortillas and no kidding, they brought out two flour tortillas with baby shrimp and shredded cheese on top, like something a college dorm room would make. No lettuce, sauce nothing. They said they will never go back.

You know who won the prize and who has been there the longest....East Bay Crab House. Excellent service and food on our last night there. I have the broiled Grouper and it was fantastic. Most of the other folks had the Cajun Angels (crab stuffed shrimp wrapped in bacon). Stunningly good. Yes, East Bay Crab House is the best in my opinion of the restaurant scene in Navarre.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why the building which houses Broussard's cannot establish itself as a destination, long lasting place?
Garrison

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:05 pm

Kid, I'll tell ya' what, my dad's side of my family is mostly from Baltimore area and they used to bring giant coolers of crab and flounder out our way every summer. I think East Bay does an excellent job with their flounder.
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:50 am

I have not been disappointed yet Garrison in anything I have had at EBCH. They cooked the broiled Grouper to perfection.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:40 am

Agree with your comments on Dewy Destin's, and the others. We do like the Beachhouse Bar and Grill at Springhill Suites, despite the pricing.
Not a fan of Broussard's except for a couple of select items.

Just an FYI. The restaurant and bar are the Golf Course are open under new management (been closed for 15-months).
New name, "Black Skimmer Grill". So far, so good. Eaten there 3-times (only a couple of blocks from my house so the convenience factor is huge). Menu is decent, but not extensive. I find prices not cheap, but reasonable. Still hiring service staff. Went one Friday that they were slammed - just from word of mouth. They haven't been advertising yet. A bit slow service that night, but food was still good. Talked to the floor manager at a later visit, said was his fault - he hadn't called in enough staff for the unanticipated large crowd. Open 11 AM daily, through dinner. Sunday brunch 10 AM - 2 PM. Haven't been to that, yet.
Last edited by Pete on Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
PensacolaKid
Power User
Power User

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 am

Yeah Pete, I have heard of this new place and will try it when I am back in August.
Going Nuts

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:56 am

If Sailor's Grill would serve oysters, boiled or steamed shrimp, *local* grilled and fried fish, they'd have to have a traffic cop out front. Maybe they make enough on the bar side to not want to be known as a good place to eat.
AngelGirl
Power User
Power User

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 am

Going Nuts wrote:
If Sailor's Grill would serve oysters, boiled or steamed shrimp, *local* grilled and fried fish, they'd have to have a traffic cop out front. Maybe they make enough on the bar side to not want to be known as a good place to eat.
We can remember (YEARS ago) when they were known for their great breakfasts --- what happened???
AngelGirl
Navarre Beach Life Moderator

Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 BSB
Going Nuts

Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:07 am

AngelGirl wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 am
Going Nuts wrote:
We can remember (YEARS ago) when they were known for their great breakfasts --- what happened???
They used to buy nuts from us for the bakery when they had some awesome desserts and pastries, then they decided to stop making most of that stuff several years ago. Just seems to me they lost interest in serving good local food of all kinds. Maybe they lost their cook...?
gailjean
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:49 am

We've gone to East Bay Crab House a few times over the years, and just not been impressed at all - maybe we were unlucky and went on "off" days.

Many of the year-round residents recommended Bella Luna Italian Bistro - it's relatively new (maybe past 5 years?). We did go there and enjoyed a delicious meal. A little pricey, but good atmosphere, good food, and good service.

Shark Bite food truck is open for breakfast and lunch. We had lunch there and really enjoyed the Baja Fish Tacos and Shrimp and Chorizo Tacos. Food was very fresh. Check the hours. If they sell out before closing time, they close. Weather affects open times as well. http://www.sharkbitenavarre.com/breakfa ... e-florida/

Cactus Flower Café has been there a while now and never disappoints.

Whenever we've gone to Navarre, our first place to eat out is TC's Front Porch. We have been going there since it opened. Gotta have my Grouper Reuben at least once! We have had other food there and found it good as well. The service is usually decent, at least it has been for us, and it is a place we go far more frequently than other place on the island.

Went to Broussard's with a friend, and then my husband. Not overly impressed, and it is expensive (I bet they pay a pretty penny for rent there). Probably doesn't help that we lived 22 years in Baton Rouge.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:28 am

We are also fans of Cactus Flower and Bella Luna - as well as Samurai - both the Teppanyaki Grill (aka "Hibachi" - but that is technically incorrect) and the regular menu & sushi. My wife, too, didn't care for EBOH - but haven't been in years.
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
springer

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:43 am

What about Johnny Huston's?
We were there in April and thought the food and portions were great... but would like to hear form the locals on this place.
Government does not always get the money it needs, but it always needs the money it gets.
Pete
Power User
Power User

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:08 am

springer wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:43 am
What about Johnny Huston's?
We were there in April and thought the food and portions were great... but would like to hear form the locals on this place.
We find the food just "OK". And the restaurant is usually too noisy for us. (If not too hot of cold, we sit on the outside porch)
Cheers, Pete
Go Vikings!
Garrison

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:19 pm

Enjoyed my dishes at Dewey Destin, especially the homemade pimento dip and stuffed shrimp. Went to Shark Bite for first time and ended up going a few times. I'm a sucker for a burrito, especially if it has chorizo. Off to prepare PKid's trip report LOL!

Return to “NAVARRE BEACH ~ MAIN FORUM”